Devil wears prada tone

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by zipline7020, Feb 7, 2015.

1. zipline7020

zipline7020 SS.org Regular

So I'm experimenting with some stuff, and I was wondering how Devil wears prada got their tone on " with roots above and branches below" and the zombie ep. I know the band itself uses a peavy 6534 through a mesa cab and a orange Rockoverb. But that doesn't mean Its what they used in studio. I'm not really familiar on how to get a tone like this Cuz I'm more of a mesa hard rock kind of guy. So what amp and cab would be best for a chuggarific low tuned sound like on those 2 albums?

Also I've heard Andy Snead say that for albums like that, they use different settings for the chugs, the single note rhythms, and the power chord choruses.

What settings would be best for these?

2. spawnofthesith

spawnofthesith SS.org Regular

I haven't thought about this band in years, but IIRC those albums mentioned were done on PODs

3. inp4ct

inp4ct Member

Something tells me they used a 6505+ on Zombie EP, not sure about Roots tho..

4. inp4ct

inp4ct Member

Or at least Chris did ;)

5. inp4ct

inp4ct Member

Okay, after a bit of research im sure that Jeremy has been using Rockerverb since '09 *Note* he has also been using a Fulltone OCD for extra gain.
    I'm still pretty sure Chris used a 6505+ with Mesa Cabs
    Their change of tone, compared with today, might due to their change of pickups and tunings.

6. matt_atlasfalls

matt_atlasfalls Member

I remember an interview when they were recording Dead Throne, Chris mentioning that every album (including Zombie EP I think?) before that had been amp sims, most likely POD farm which is what Joey Sturgis was using at the time

7. zipline7020

zipline7020 SS.org Regular

Thats interesting...because with roots and the zombie ep are some of the best sounds Ive heard him put out guitar wise. They sound extremely detailed and thick, so I assumed they micd up a real cab. Would he still be using a 6505 sim to a mesa cab with a boost in front in the program?
    And I'm using jam up pro/bias right now. Though I will say combining a 6505 with a mesa cab and tossing a boost in front was a little disappointing, maybe I did something wrong. Any tips how I can get something close using those apps? I don't want to go out and buy more hardware(Podxt Live) or Pod farm for 1 guitar tone XD

8. matt_atlasfalls

matt_atlasfalls Member

I would say to get the metal expansion pack with the Ola amp presets etc, and any of the stuff Bulb does, best high gain tone I've heard out of JamUp so far

If you want to hear an example, and I'm sorry to plug like this, but a mix I just uploaded was using those presets on Jamup (https://soundcloud.com/mafyewmusic/updated-mix-af2015-work)