Detuning 8 string guages

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Brill, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Brill

Brill sweet little lolita.

im thinking of getting a ff 8 or 9 string.
    The tuning ideas i have are as follows.
    Drop D1
    Drop C1
    D1 standard
    Drop B0
    Im tossing up between 25"-30" and 25"-29". I dont know which would be better for the tunnings i want, so suggestions?
    Also guages that would be required?

2. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Big fans - I approve :) Make sure to template them and be entirely sure you're going to like it...My 4.5" 9 string is perfect for me but it was a risk to take of course!

Sorry - Can you expand on the tunings some? I only went so large because I needed the 24.75" high end for a high G# ..else I probably would've settled for a slightly more conventional fan and the tonal variation of the high end at say, 26 or 26.5".

I would suggest going a 4 inch fan over a 5, I think.

What kind of string tension you like is also important here - with regards to how thick you need to go, and if you are happy with the tone of that gauge on X scale.

If I'm not mistaken, none of those tunings have anything higher than a high G. That means you can afford to push the high end to 27", should you wish. I might actually suggest 26.5 - 30 or 30.5 (8 string) or 26.5 - 31 (9 string).
    That's not to say that 29 or 30 isn't sufficient (though for C or B I would definitely say 30 or more)

3. Rook

Rook Electrifying

I'd go 27-30, it'll be a really smooth, ergonomic fan. As for gauges you need to pick a tuning really. If you're gunna go drop D ie DADGCFAD I'd say what I use for drop e on a 27 parallel fret would be perfect, 10-47+61+90

I bet that 90 would sound great for a low D...

4. RGA8

RGA8 SS.org Regular

I don't have a FF 8 but I own a DC800 27" scale. I tune the guitar down a whole step. I use an 80 for my low E. It plays and feels great so maybe that'll give you an idea of what gauge you might use for low D.

5. ben_hurt

ben_hurt SS.org Regular

I have a FF 30-27" on order (still being built). I chose the scale because I tune down to C#1 on my low string. I have an RG2228, and I'm running a .98 on the low string, which works, but doesn't sound great. The 27" scale works just great for the 7th string and above, but that lowest string down-tuned that far seems to need a longer scale.

6. axxessdenied

axxessdenied Arium Addict

I use a 082 for F# on my DC800 and would still prefer a bit more tension... 80 for E on an 27" is pushing it ;)

30" - 27" scale sounds like it might be what you're going for, Lox. What kind of pups are you thinking?

7. Brill

Brill sweet little lolita.

Im most likely going with a 9. I dont know what company, but im hoping on oni.
    No idea on specs, or anything.
    Im thinking C0 standard or D1 standard. I like the feel of a. 54 for D on my 25.5".

8. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

19.5lbs tension - same kind of preference as me.

Let's call it C# then, standard 9 string tuning.

C# F# B E A D G B E.

The good news is the high E will be no issue tension wise even on a 30" scale..so the size of the fan is only concerning the tone of the high strings.

To achieve that tension in C# on 30" you would need a 94 or 98 gauge from Circle K. It's up to you to find a 30" to try that on to see if you are happy with the tone. If not, then you'll have to go longer (which I do think would be awesome if you are interested in a big fan like that :D ) 31" with a 90 gauge would be cool as hell..

And you could still put a 4" fan to take the high end to 27" where the tone of the high E should be plenty acceptable.