Deron Miller's (CKY/World Under Blood) New Album "Galactic Prey"

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by The Reverend, Apr 16, 2014.

1. The Reverend

The Reverend GHETTO KING OF SWAG

Deron Miller, the singer/guitarist of CKY/World Under Blood, has announced that after 20 years, he would be doing a new Foreign Objects album called Galactic Prey, to be released sometime in October. He also launched an indiegogo campaign to help finance the effort.

Why should you care? I hear some of you asking. Well, Foreign Objects is really great stuff, first of all. Secondly, I'll be playing guitar on it. Incredibly, I wound up working with the right people, and was asked to be a part of the recording process. Any of you who've paid attention to my posts the past few years will have noticed that I gave on a career and education in music in favor of medical school, so having the chance to do this has been a sort of dream come true. I'm working for a man who wrote music I grew up on, and not a lot of people can say that. Jon Masi, who is also co-writing the album, has been really bringing out some creative ideas that you don't see often in today's metal world. There's no djent, pig squeals, or tired black metal imagery, just straightforward metal injected with some old-school prog vibes.

Here's the link, for those of you who are also fans of Deron's and want to get involved: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/foreign-objects-album-2014#home

If you haven't heard the first single off the record, you should check it out! It's like the side of CKY I never knew I wanted, but can't imagine losing now. Give it a like and a share, if you care!

[sc]https://soundcloud.com/deronmiller/galactic-prey[/sc]

If you have any questions, feel free to ask! I'm not Deron, so I can't tell you whether or not there will be a CKY reunion, but other than that, feel free to let me know what you think of the song, or anything else for that matter.

Randy, cwhitey2, ferret and 10 others like this.
  2. Forkface

Forkface Feast on this.

WOW MAN, Congrats!! It must feel epic to be back to music and with a vengance :hbang:
    I've never been a fan of CKY, but this new single is pretty balls :yesway:

I wish you the best on this new endeavor :)

3. Sofos

Sofos СофоƆ

I came here just now to post about this, but you beat me to it, and rightly so. I knew there was a second guitarist, had no idea he was you! Congrats on the awesome gig dude! I actually just told Deron about an hour ago I'll be getting the alt-art version as soon as I get some money coming in. Been jamming his riffs religiously the past few days on guitar.

4. ZeroSignal

ZeroSignal Appreciates Kwolity Contributor

Sounds good, dude. I always loved Miller's style of riff writing. Wasn't terribly keen on World Under Blood but I look forward to hearing this album.

5. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

I've always loved his riffs and tone. Dude is a stand up guy too. I met him and Chad a while back. Both awesome dudes.

6. MatthewK

MatthewK SS.org Regular

Cool. I always dug Deron's riffing on the first two CKY albums. Doesn't sound like anything else I've ever heard.

7. The Reverend

Yeah, I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised. There's a lot of stuff that's instantly recognizable, but still just worlds away. Jon Masi has come up with just some of the most insane ideas to really take the Foreign Objects sound into realms it hasn't been in before. It's a really great synthesis of Deron's style of riffing and Jon's ability to imagine new ways to present it. I'm excited for you guys to hear some more of the stuff we have in the works, and I'll post it here when it's released.

8. akinari

akinari SS.org Regular

Congratulations, man! I can't imagine how it must feel to be collaborating with someone who has impacted your life like Deron has. FO was easily one of my top 5 biggest influences when I started playing. Really looking forward to this.

9. The Reverend

I didn't know about FO until six months ago (on this forum, actually!) but I remember hearing 96 Quite Bitter Beings on Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 and my mind being blown. I was a kid, but I knew right then that I wanted to play guitar, and more than that, I wanted to write a song like that. I really can't describe to you guys just how incredible this opportunity is.

10. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

Holy shit!!

My girl and I have been CKY fans for years now, I had no clue about this.

I'm really stunned, I never thought I'd hear something like this from Devon. This is ....ing killer....I usually wish bands would get proggier/more involved with their tunes and this is that!

Definitely going to be keeping up with this and doing what I can to help!

11. TIBrent

TIBrent Drop Z regular

heck yeah! This is amazing, thank you so much for sharing

12. MrMcSick

MrMcSick Derp

Loved all but the last cky. World under blood was pretty brutal. Who's playing drums?

13. Sofos

Sofos СофоƆ

I liked Carver City. Hellions on Parade and A#1 Roller Rager are two of my favourites ever. Old Carver's Bones, Rats in the Infirmary and Fisherman's Wharf 1&2 are also fantastic.

14. The Reverend

15. necronile

necronile SS.org Regular

Sounds sick!
    I'm a CKY fan for pretty long time and looking forward to it!

16. The Reverend

Forgot to mention that I wrapped up possibly the best song we've worked on a few days ago. I heard the entire mix once it got back from Jon (who's also handling the mixing as well as co-writing) and it's pretty damn epic. As in 7:00 long epic. It'll probably be shortened, but it's so chock-full of great riffs and parts that it's tough to decide which ones should go!

For all of you guys who are supporting us, or who want to and just can't afford it, I know I speak for everyone involved when I say that we'd really appreciate y'all helping spread the word. This album marks 20 years of Foreign Objects, but it also marks a personal highlight of my life, and I feel this weird sense of wanting as many people as possible to enjoy it with me.

17. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

I've never actually heard Foreign Objects before, but everything else Deron touches is gold. One of the most incredible vocalists, guitarists, lyricists, and songwriters in the history of rock. Love his work, and congrats to you on the gig!

18. breadtruck

breadtruck SS.org Regular

I've always respected Deron. CKY were part of the Jackass scene and had a few crazy videos so you could assume that CKY were just some guys fooling around, but whenver you see Deron play you can tell he's a great musician. It looks crazy hard to play some of the riffs he does and sing at the same time. The CKY albums are totally unique and i think that's pretty hard to achieve in metal (or music in general...).

To the OP, do you happen to know what effets Deron used for CKY stuff? The tone was pretty unique (sounds like an octaver or something).

19. Sofos

Sofos СофоƆ

I do know he uses an octaver set an octave below (you can definitely hear it in Inhuman Creation Station best).

20. The Reverend

I'm always impressed with people who can sing and play simultaneously. I mean, strumming open chords or playing basic rock is easy enough to do while singing, but the more difficult songs are just impossible for me.

As far as his effects, I know he's used an octave pedal quite a bit in the past. We've got some throwbacks to that on the new FO, but I don't want to say too much more! I mean, with Derron there's a sort of unique voice in his guitar work that will always sound like CKY, and we're sort of molding that with the more experimental/math/progressive stuff on this album. I can ask him what gear he's mostly used in the past if you guys want, too.