Demon Souls Remake

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by KnightBrolaire, Sep 16, 2020.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

The difficulty is vastly overplayed ime. These games aren't ninja gaiden or nioh or ikaruga levels of hair ripping bullshit. They just demand that you pay attention to your environment and understand that even lowly enemies can wreck your shit if you get overconfident.

It's nothing like the witcher series other than both are fantasy series and action/rpgs.

It's more akin to an old school game where the adventure is more of the point. There is a story but it's not really the crux of the game imo, whereas with the Witcher series the story is the best element by far.

The combat style is completely different too. There is signicantly more weapon/loadout variety in a souls game. Weapons will smack into walls if you use the wrong attack or too big of a weapon.

2. Choop

Choop n______n

I was thinking this too, and it's a big part of the charm. It's kind of like when you first play Zelda on the NES, or Castlevania.

3. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Yep. With dark souls, every time you get a new weapon or piece of armor you should read the item descriptions. It adds like 60% of the world building/background.

4. Nicki

Nicki Twit

The Demon's Souls IP is owned by Sony, so it's always been a Playstation exclusive. From Software wanted to make a Demon's Souls 2 and put it on other consoles and PC, but Sony said no, so From Software made Dark Souls which is considered a "spiritual successor" to Demon's Souls. Then after the success of Dark Souls, they abandoned Demon's Souls, which is by Bluepoint Studios was the one to remake Demon's Souls and not From Software.

There's a chance that it may one day appear on PC since Sony also owns the Horizon IP and put that out on PC (though, only recently). But, Sony has historically been the type of publisher to lock their IPs onto the Playstation console and stubbornly ignore the PC market.

5. Nicki

Nicki Twit

Who TF found Ninja Gaiden difficult? I played Ninja Gaiden Black on the OG Xbox and it wasn't that hard.

My first run through of Dark Souls was way harder than Ninja Gaiden.

6. KnightBrolaire

uhh most people I've talked to found Ninja Gaiden hard as fuck.. I found it way harder than Dark Souls personally. Nioh is significantly harder than DS too ime.

7. Nicki

Nicki Twit

Weird. I never considered Ninja Gaiden difficult. As for Nioh, I tried it. I didn't like it at all. I didn't like the fact that 1. You play as a samurai, but run like a ninja. 2. Flip flopping between English voice over and Japanese. 3. Overworld map functioning as a stage select 4. Enemies were predictible. 5. The game is an overall snoozfest... seriously, no excitement whatsoever. Every time I've tried to play it, I've actually fallen asleep.

8. rifftrauma

rifftrauma Trapped in time... Contributor

So I beat the remake first playthrough a couple of days ago, I'm about half way into NG+ now. My OG Demon Soul's Platinum was on 4/23/2011, so it's been almost 10 years since I fully completed the original. It was a nice nostalgia ride, but my heart belongs to Dark Souls. If you haven't played a Souls game, I would still say start with Dark Souls. If you're into faster paced gameplay, go with Sekiro or Bloodborne. Everything FromSoftware has made since Demon's Souls has been pretty fantastic. If you can get your hands on a copy I would definitely recommend it!

Pros-
    -Removed ultra tedious weapon upgrade trophies! These were terrible, especially with the limited amount of crystal lizards per playthrough, so it's nice to see them go. They've been replaced with some interesting and unique trophies for bosses and events.
    -Rolling and controls are great, you have much more control over how you die :)
    -Graphics, especially the lighting etc all are amazing
    -Some of the same cheesy / meme spots and gimmicks still exist, actually very happy they didn't take these out. Love you poison cloud!

Cons-
    -Still some of the longest distances between checkpoints or shortcuts. I feel like subsequent souls games really nailed the balance and pacing between where checkpoint and shortcuts are. Dark Souls is the clear direct result. Some of the distances are just brutal. I hate you 3-2...
    -I put world tendency as a Con but it's really opinion. I thought it was cool 10 years ago, but now it's just kind of a pain in the ass to change world tendency to get the events you want to spawn.

Choop likes this.
  9. MFB

MFB Banned

Bruh, Nioh is hard as fuck and I've heard Nioh 2 is even harder than one. I'm scared to back and try to finish as I got N1 for like, $20, and then Nioh 2 was on sale for $20 as well so I have both without realizing how crippling they'd be.

10. KnightBrolaire

They are definitely brutal games. I hated Nioh for the first few hours until I got the hang of it and then I quite enjoyed how intense it was. I have nioh 2 but haven't played it yet since I'm working my way through wasteland 2 still.

11. TheBlackBard

TheBlackBard SS.org Regular

Something else about the difficulty regarding these games...

These games were popularized in a time where not having a stamina bar and being able to just mash buttons for style points and shit was the norm. These games were the anti-thesis of that. I mean sure, they always kind of existed in the background with Kingsfield and Shadow Tower and such, but they didn't really break out from that little niche until word of mouth about the difficulty got around. The reason why so many people sucked at these games from back in the day and the reason why retro games are harder to play now than they were when you were young is because everyone was conditioned to a certain style of play in a generation where games were getting a bit more dumbed down. Enter Demon's, then Dark, then Dark II, then Bloodborne, then Dark III, then Sekiro. These games clearly aren't for everyone, but the way it's played out that they're the hardest games ever... I don't get that, except with Sekiro. Difficulty never went away, it just wasn't in the eye of the masses as much as it used to be. SoulsBornekiro changed that.

12. BenSolace

BenSolace Divine Solace

I started with Bloodborne which was the PS4 system seller for me. Completed it and learned of the Dark Souls series so I tried DS1 around the time DS3 was nearly out. Didn't really get that far (got to Anor Londo where you have to run around the rooftops with the bow knights shooting arrows at you and promptly broke everything I owned), was used to the fast paced reactive combat style of BB. When DS3 came out I played the hell out of that game to completion. Dabbled in DS2 but something about that game just didn't live up to 1 and 3 (probably Miyazaki's absence).

The Demon Souls remake will be a system seller for me along with the anticipation of Horizon: FW and GOW2: Ragnarok (plus the hope of Days Gone 2 and another TLOU maybe). Looks great but I won't be buying a PS5 until I can just stroll into a shop and buy one for retail without batting strangers away.

Regarding Sekiro, I loved that game up until the Genichiro Ashina boss fight when he gets to his lightning phase. I actually went to Nexus mods and downloaded a mod that makes you take half damage as I didn't realise you could hit him back with the lightning. I haven't disabled that mod (kind of forgot about it) and now I'm at fountainhead palace so... yeah...

Definitely made the game something you can play whilst relaxed, however as Demon Souls is close enough to Dark Souls that will get played as intended!

13. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Maybe they were referring to the original NES Ninja Gaiden?
    I got my ass handed to me in the og xbox Ninja Gaiden though, I found it much more difficult than DS in a way. In DS you can grind and improve equipment etc whereas Ninja Gaiden is all about skill (though I guess there was some RPG elements in it too).
    My main memory of Ninja Gaiden on Xbox was that it was one of the best looking games of that time, and it ran so damn smooth too.

Regarding Demons Soul: the remake looks awesome and I wouldn't mind playing it, but it's not a game that I would change platforms for. If it somehow arrives on xbox someday, I'm all over it though.

14. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

It may not be a game you should change platforms for, but bloodborne sure is!

15. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Ok! Oh well, I guess I might have to grab a PS5 at some point when the price comes down. Probably when the next generation of consoles comes out or something :lol:

16. Wc707

Wc707 SS.org Regular

I started with Demons Souls, went Dark Souls 1, 2 then Bloodborne then Sekiro. Theyre very interesting games, and require you to actually learn how to play them to succeed. Especially true for Sekiro because goddamn i was stuck at Sword Saint for a straight week. He felt impossible to defeat. I never felt too challenged in Souls or Bloodborne, but Sekiro was really a different beast.
    Really like Bloodborne, and find the combat (if you dont cheese it with the bowblade or spells) to be fun.
    Never really did a bloodtinge focused playthrough, but maybe soon.

17. Wc707

Wc707 SS.org Regular

18. MFB

MFB Banned

Aw yeah man, nothing better than farming those fat piggies in the Hunters Nightmare; gonna get me ALL the blood echoes. And then go around and fight the lesser shadows too!

19. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Yeah, I did spend at least a few hours giving the first pig a rectal exam and then getting the other two to charge into the shadows, that farming spot is so far ahead of any other in the game (well, legit in the game, anyway...).

20. Nicki

Nicki Twit

It's not impossible for the Demon's Souls remaster to be released on PC. Horizon Zero Dawn has sort of paved the way for Sony IPs to be ported and showed that there is a market willing to pay. Heck, HZD on PC has supposedly sold 716 000 copies. At $60 a pop, that's just shy of $43m for a game that I'm going to say as a wild guess, cost less than $10m to port.

Will it come to Xbox though? Nope. Not a chance. Demon's Souls is an IP that solely owned by Sony Entertainment Interactive and Sony still refuses to play nicely in the sandbox others. I'm going to be interested to see how MS' ZeniMax acquisition plays out in the long term though. Is MS going to withhold Bethesda games from the Playstation? Will Sony want Bethesda games on Playstation? Will they be willing to make a deal with MS to say "put Bethesda games on Playstation, and we'll put these Sony games on Xbox"? Probably not since console exclusivity is what defines and wins a console generation.