Democratic Primary thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Drew, Feb 3, 2020.

1. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

holy shit daddy that is bigtime playa

2. Randy

Randy Full on Friendship!™ Super Moderator

Are you saying you're a worthless person? :lol:

tedtan and budda like this.
  3. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

At times. :lol:

More that if I had to describe my worth as a person, my banking account wouldn't even cross my mind. How I treat my friends, how I treat strangers, my hobbies and how I've been able to help people with them even in small ways, stuff like that. I'm sure there's a financial component TO that, but it's more what you choose to do with the money you have than how much you have in the first place. Seem to recall something in the Bible about that, which a lot of these "gospel of success" folks could maybe do well to remember...

Wrecklyss, tedtan, JSanta and 3 others like this.
  4. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

You're really coming up short on NGDs though.

5. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

:lol: My GAS has been pretty modest of late, honestly. I'd like a decent Tele one of these days, but there aren't too many "gaps" in my arsenal, really.

budda likes this.
  6. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

At least it's just the one tele!

7. fantom

fantom Misses his 6 strings

If all you got was which ideal reform do I oppose, you missed the part that I think blanket reform will lead to government thrashing and we need to make ironclad incremental improvements. Feel free to disagree with it. Not sure it is productive to argue. I will say I want reform to fix issues longterm, but not at the cost of Republicans coming in 4 years later and erasing any progress.

Did I decide I'm right because what he said? I appreciate him pointing out where I made a mistake.

8. fantom

So I agree money is a terrible measurement. But let's look at 95% of people. Keeping a job or getting a middle class job means you are more productive on the grand scheme of things, even if you are not the best person ( I mean hypothetically, I don't mean you personally). The problem is lower class people need a way to advance in society if they are determined and crappy people should lose customers or employers. Unfortunately, "good people" tend to pass problematic people horizontally instead if downward. Which means there is no societal incentive to not be a jerk.

This assuming we don't fix wealth inequality, which is grossly necessary.

9. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

WHOLE bunch of privilege bundled up in this that I don't have it in me to unpack these days, but for starters your implicit assumptions that everyone is working one job rather than juggling three, that there are no family crises or logistical challenges of the sort that can usually be easily solved with money (child care for example, which is fucking expensive, or buying a car vs being stuck on intermittent public transportation to get to work, living in extended stay motels even though they're more expensive than renting an apartment, because you can't afford first and last month's rent and a deposit, etc) that could potentially cause someone to be forced to take unplanned absences or make it far harder for them to save, etc.

The problem is, being poor in America is REALLY fucking expensive, and for a lot of people it's not that they aren't willing to work hard to claw their way out of poverty, it's that they can't afford to.

10. zappatton2

zappatton2 SS.org Regular

Further, I often see the argument that a social democratic model is a disincentive to productivity, but I would argue the opposite. I don't think anyone in this day and age argues for the elimination of wealth inequality, but the sheer extremity of wealth disparity in the US (and many other Western nations) does not reward productivity or the entrepreneurial spirit. It represents a systemic effort by moneyed lobbyists to calcify wealth in the hands of a tiny cohort (not always of the most productive members of society) by targeting and gutting the sorts of public investments that could foster greater opportunities for social mobility. This state of crony capitalism literally creates roadblocks to the success and well-being of its citizens.

Wrecklyss, budda and fantom like this.
  11. fantom

I'll just say you are making far more assumptions about me than you realize. I agree with what you said aside from that. And I've seen a lot of it first hand.

12. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

So... on topic of Democratic primaries...

Is anybody actually excited about the prospect of Biden being POTUS?

Seeing all the shit going down, I’ve never once thought, ‘wow, I really wish Joe Biden was in charge right now’. But I’m not American, so maybe things are different on the ground.

Seems to me like he’s basically an ‘establishment’ Trump in some ways. All the rambling and gaffes. Challenging factory workers to fist fights. The clearly inappropriate touching. He’s also ancient and he looks like shit, despite the facelift, Botox, dental veneer and facial fillers he’s had to try and look younger for the election.

His party is also being strongly pulled left, and he’s just doing whatever he can to pander to them and hoping they forget he’s an ancient rich white guy with his own history of scandals, corruption and creepiness. His promise of choosing a non-white, female VP also seems like another appeal for the ‘woke’ vote.

At best, he’s a one term president. He’ll be 78 at inauguration.

It’s all pretty shitty, and the media coddling him is also very disturbing. There’s endless speculation about Trumps weight, his cholesterol levels, his IQ, his mental stability, whether he sleeps in the same bed as Melania etc. But Biden has these very blatant episodes of incoherent rambling, and I haven’t seen any MSM speculating about whether he’s actually FIT to be POTUS.

The whole thing just seems such a disaster. I don’t envy you guys having to vote for any of these people.

possumkiller likes this.
  13. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Not really.

Pretty much.

budda and Ordacleaphobia like this.
  14. Randy

Anyone is an improvement from Trump, even if Biden's brain is mush. Look at Pence, who at least had the good sense to cancel rallies in hot spots, wear a mask and recommend masks and distancing.

It would be one thing if Trump was addle brained and his handlers were stuck as the shadow decision makers a la Reagan. Instead literally all the adults in the room have been replaced with people specifically assigned to let him play with matches and sharp objects. His dementia doesn't allow him to make the right choices even by accident, nor does it allow anyone more competent to intervene. You're gonna have a hard time convincing me the bar on Biden is that low.

tedtan, zappatton2 and StevenC like this.
  15. MaxOfMetal

:agreed:

Biden ain't my first pick, but Trump isn't even on the board.

16. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Plus Biden actually seems interested in being the president of the WHOLE country, not just his base.

StevenC likes this.
  17. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Jon Stewart just went on Rogan and made a similar point- commenting on "how much money it takes to ante up to the American way of life." The amount of cash it takes to just get into the game is too high. Thought it was a great analogy.

Can't rent a place because the upfront costs are too high and you're stuck paying high housing rates for a temporary place so you'll never get it.
    Stuck buying shitty unhealthy food because a McDouble is $1 but buying the ingredients to make yourself a good meal costs more.
    Trapped with public transport because buying a car requires car insurance which for a low-income earner can easily cost you 10% of your income per month- god help you if you have an accident on your record. Not to mention that if you buy a cheaper car (IE one that you can afford) you're going to be stuck with expensive repairs and barely any resale value.
    Got sick? Good luck- enjoy eating those medical bills with that healthcare coverage your low-paying job definitely doesn't provide.
    Did you ever screw up, make a bad decision, and land in jail? Enjoy making minimum wage for the rest of your life.
    Have a kid? GOOD LUCK LMAO.

It really is like trying to go to Vegas to play tables but only bringing a hundred bucks.

18. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

So do you think that if Biden wins, things go to shit, and he does stupid stuff, the people that held their nose to pull the lever will be lumped into the “well it’s on you, own it because you voted for him” category?

19. Randy

That's how elections go, yeah. But the "you break it, you buy it" is magnified when your voters refuse to criticize or hold you to any standards either. I've got 8 years of posts on this site criticising Obama and probably 100+ in this thread criticising Biden. I can't find one critical post about Trump from one of his supporters. That's sycophantic.

20. MaxOfMetal

Depends on what that means.

I can't really see things being handled worse than right now.

But sure, I'm down to criticize Biden as much and more than I already have.

I give @Drew some prodding over it already, but I don't "blame" him for anything. I don't think most would.

The bar is so low, he'd have to really fuck something up. :lol: