Delayed NBD: Yamaha BB434M

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by NeglectedField, Oct 24, 2020.

1. NeglectedField

NeglectedField SS.org Regular

So I sold my Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass because I was dying for a bass with a split-P pickup and ideally a P/J dealy.

I'd played the Yamaha BB434 and even 234 at the odd guitar show and found the build quality solid and the sounds fairly faithful to the P/J sound. Reviews are good and the 45 degree string-thru and 6-bolt mitre joint thingy was appealing.

It seemed to have gone up in price since it first came out but I thought fuck it and went with the most reputable vendor and the one I'd had one of the best experiences with, that being GuitarGuitar.

I had ordered the rosewood neck one but they sent me the maple one. Clearly this error was due to the fact that only the finish is named on the box, not the fingerboard wood. I rang them saying I'd received the wrong one but that this example was brilliant (barring the need for a quick setup and pickup height adjustment - no truss rod adjustment needed thankfully) so I was in 2 minds about the look. They said I had a right to have it returned within 14 days as I reported it within 48 hours, so I was allowed a little while to decide if I like the look. Turns out my friends think maple is cooler and I've really warmed to it, so I've kept it. Nonetheless I fully recommend GuitarGuitar for their customer service. I've bought another axe from them before and they were very helpful.

QUALITY
    Not perfect, but damn close. The only complaints would be that there was a small rough spot on the back of the neck nearish the headstock, which I suspect was some glue that got splodged on there by accident, but I had at it with a razorblade. Still feel it slightly but in no way impeding the playing. Also the pickup casings seem to be quite hollow compared to others, meaning if I play right near there and my fingers hit them, I can feel their hollow plasticy-ness. Otherwise, you've got the fantastic quality that Yamaha are famous for at all price points. My RBX375 was also fantastically built when I got it in 2007 and nothing has worked its way loose or anything since.

PLAYABILITY
    Almost like butter. You don't have to fight it much, not after a proper setup. Apparently they come with D'addario 45-100s stock and I will plan on getting those again when the current set crap out.

SOUNDS
    Lovely. The classic P, J and both-on sounds are all there. Combined with the playability, you can almost pull off that Sheehan sound when using the P pickup only. Handles clean and distorted tones very well. Sustain is incredible. The string-thru and 6-bolt thing is no gimmick.

SUMMARY
    Yes, buy this bass, in whatever capacity you want/need to use it. Even pros are using this and not the BBP34. Best bang-for-buck in the 4-string world, surely. The Pacifica of the bass world, if you will.

PICS
    Hopefully this actually works. Imgur is the only image hosting site I know sorta works. If you can't see 'em let me know. These were hastily taken shots. Also I know my desk chair is tattered. That's faux-leather coating for you! Also I got that case separately, so no, doesn't come with one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ImNotAhab and Nlelith like this.
  2. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

Maple looks cooler.

GenghisCoyne likes this.
  3. NeglectedField

NeglectedField SS.org Regular

Ugh, damn Imgur.

Hopefully these work:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. ImNotAhab

ImNotAhab ChronicUnderachiever

Dude, the BBs are so damn cool. I love the neck shape too, very comfortable.