delay for solo's

Gabriel 1313

A minor slip
Reaction score
is there a "go to setting for the tone and delay for 80's style solo's. i'm thinking Dokken, Cindarella, Damn Yankee's?

tedtan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Roughly 330 ms on an analog setting (that’s the max the old analog delays could do back then) with just enough repeats to provide a “background wash” behind the player.

RevDrucifer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I always just set mine to a 1/4 and keep it on a tap tempo for basic stuff. Getting into specific 80’s tones you’re probably looking at some other goodies down the line from it like chorus/reverb.

Roland SDE-3000’s were HUGE in the 80’s and were one of the top delay units, EVH was still using them in his most recent rigs and Vai didn’t ditch his until he got an AxeFX. I think one of the newer Boss or Roland pedals recreates it….or there’s a whole pedal version of it. I can’t keep up anymore.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'll never get rid of mine. I've already let one go and regretted it. It doesn't live on my board but it's too useful not to keep around. I lend it out a lot.
I have an AxeFx with great delays but I'll never not want to use a DD5.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have an AxeFx with great delays but I'll never not want to use a DD5.

VOX Time Machine is my go-to, it's too perfect for what I do and I know it inside and out. I've seen Satch run two of them and have considered doing the same.

The DD5 though, it's like a special-use tool that I don't need too often but when I do there's no substitute. Same reason I keep an MXR 10 band and BD2 on hand.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Roughly 330 ms on an analog setting (that’s the max the old analog delays could do back then) with just enough repeats to provide a “background wash” behind the player.
This, or also really old vintage digital units. The L6 Helix has a vintage delay setting that can let you lower the bitrate, so it gets a bit crusty like those really old digital delays. IIRC the Axe FX does that too.

But yeah, anything that can go up to 500ms would be the ticket.