DEI bass gear

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Veldar, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Veldar

Veldar Is Post-Thrash?

Hey Gang,

Now I know a Darkglass pedal can get the sound, but purely out of historical reason does anyone know how they got that bass tone on DEI? Meshuggah's amps for the guitar tracks are pretty well known but I can never find any info on what Peter Nordin used at the time.

Cheers, Sam.

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Guitar wise it was a Spector NS2A. Gear wise, it had like 2 different tracks; a clean DI, and a distorted as shit amp. You can find a couple of videos on youtube of some people disecting/remixing the DEI stems, and the bass had 2 different tracks. Wouldn't be surprised if they used their guitar rig (Mesa 50 Cal or Marshall 8200 + TC Integrated preamp) for that part since I heard they used their guitar rig for Chaosphere.

Fun With Dirt and Veldar like this.
  3. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt SS.org Regular

These days, I am using the Darkglass X7. What I dig about it is it is a parallel signal scenario. it splits the incoming signal into two. I can get that compressed cleans on the lows and high gain highs. Then it blends them on the way out of the box. It isn't as true a biamp scenario as maybe what you could get from the Orange Bass Butler, but does a very nice job.

4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

It's an easy sound to dial in a DAW. Arm 2 signals, have one completely dry, and another one loaded with a high gain guitar amp and can (Recto + Marshall cab in this case). Maybe some kinda EQ in front of the amp as well to dial in the TC preamp sound as well. Cut bass, boosted treble.

Fun With Dirt likes this.
  5. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt SS.org Regular

Absolutely the key to high gain bass. What I am doing as of right now (subject to change at least once a week) is the Darkglass Vintage Deluxe provides my "main" sound. Before that, though, I have my X7 set to be mostly flat but with some high end roll-off and a significant gain boost in the higher range. I can go from my more GK RB style growl tone to something far more modern and more along the lines of DEI than my main tone. A fairly long way of saying, "I agree." lol.

What I used to do "back in the day" was I would do exactly what you said and have a channel that just had a direct line in meaning that I didn't do much other than run it through a clean pre. The other channel was run either through the bass amp or through a guitar amp.

When I was going for the high gain thing, I had an Ampeg VH140C guitar head that had GOBS of gain coming out of a 212. Absolutely did the trick. Live, I would have that running next to my Peavey Mark VIII (on a cab with an 18 and 2x10).

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020