Defyantly's 2019 Summer Build Challenge

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Defyantly, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Defyantly

Defyantly Aspiring Builder

I haven't been able to buy any materials for my build yet so this will be a place holder for now to get me "in" the contest. I do have a current plan. This will be my first scratch build so I'm hoping to make it simple yet as awesome as my capabilities allow.

Rattlehead83 likes this.
  2. Defyantly

So still no materials other than possible some donor pickups and bits of hardware but i figure i could give a little teaser/voting opportunity on the body shape I'm leaning towards
    mockingbird headless.jpg

or #2

Single Cut Design 3.png

the internal lines and pickup selection are just for show and are subject to change.

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

2 flows better imo

XPT707FX, odibrom and LiveOVErdrive like this.
  4. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Agreed. Plus it's like an ergo tele.

XPT707FX and odibrom like this.
  5. Defyantly

I'm really torn because i feel that #2 is missing a little "fatness" on the lower half!

6. Deegatron

Deegatron SS.org Regular

I also vote #2. Just fatten up the bottom end a little. it's your design... make it work!

Defyantly likes this.
  7. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

I actually like #1 a lot more.
    The second would look better imo if there was a little more exaggeration of the features- it just looks a bit 'blob-ey' to me.

Both are cooler than anything I can come up with though so :yesway:

8. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

#1 but extend the butt end on the bass side, to compliment the cutaway horn, more reminiscent of a Jackson Kelly.

BlackMastodon and oneblackened like this.
  9. Defyantly

Number 1 actually started as a bc rish mockingbird template that I chopped up and made into my own. I'm still refining both so for now.

10. oneblackened

oneblackened Tube Amp Dork

I like #1 better.

11. MoonJelly

MoonJelly a subtle stinging sensation..

#2 all day long.

12. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

Are these for a headless build ? both look good IMH, id make up an MDF template of both just to see how they feel in the lap/hand should help you decide which to settel on.

Defyantly and Solodini like this.
  13. Defyantly

I intend to do just this. I will end up making them both eventually if they feel good. So ill just make the best feeling one first!

14. XPT707FX

XPT707FX SS.org Regular

I like the visual of #1, but I fear the upper fret access might suffer like my Jackson Kelly

15. Defyantly

Templates.jpg
    So I ended up making templates of both. They both feel really great in the classical position, but i think I'm gonna go with the general consensus and go with the one on the right. its has a better balance and the size will hold up well to the extended range i intend to go for. The smaller one on the left i will probably make as well but probably in a gibson to fender multi scale because of the size. I feel it will make a great travel guitar! The first of the materials will be bought next thursday. I intend to work as much as i can on this with the amount of time i have (my wife just birthed our first born and she is a handful at the moment). Stay tuned!

Solodini likes this.
  16. Defyantly

Made some progress over the past couple of weeks. I finally got around to get some of the materials for this build, but still missing most of the hardware. I ended up finding some decent wood for some good prices. Im going to go with shape 2 from the previous posts. It just felt like it had more girth to it to hold up the length of the neck. On to specs:

Headless "ergo" single cut:
    26.5" scale
    3 piece poplar body
    2 piece white oak top
    purple heart neck w/ zebra wood fretboard
    single bridge humbucker w/ single volume
    hardtail headless bridge

ill end up doing some more calculations on pricing once i have cut everything down (mainly the neck because i bought a pretty long board), but so far this is what I have.

poplar board bought for $8 used 3/4 of it so $6
    Whit Oak board bought for $18 used 3/4 of it so $13.50
    Zebrawood fretboard for $16
    truss rod $7

Once i have the rest of the parts ordered i can give a final total. From my guesstimating i will still be under 200 USD so all good! Now on to the pics.

The body shape drawn onto the oak top and laid out with neck/fretboard blank.
    thumbnail-3.jpeg
    Oak top in natural daylight (bare wood)
    thumbnail-4.jpeg
    A little bit of an angle to see some of the interesting marks in the grain. Im not sure how i want to finish this but I am leaning towards a black stained back and a dark natural stain top (leaving the neck and fretboard natural). Any suggestions welcome.
    thumbnail.jpeg
    Then the glue of the top.
    thumbnail-2.jpeg

I also glued up the poplar body blank but didn't take any pictures. I also used my router sled to thickness the poplar down and remove the glue line. Still have to thickness the top and cut the rough outline on both blanks before glueing them together, but progress is being made!

17. Defyantly

So I have been really behind on updating this thread. This is mainly due to me being on paternity leave (my wife birthed our first, baby girl, on April 26th) so I have been plitting my time on learning this new parenting thing and getting in the shop. Ill do my best to narrate everything as I pic dump on you guys. Without further adoooo :worth:

20190517_170530.jpg 20190517_172937.jpg
    20190517_180100.jpg

Got both of the blanks cut out and routed against the template ( did them separately because my router bit is too short to get both at once :rant:) Also as you can see in the bowl to left of the glue up pic, I have found a small piece of the super rare spalted brazilian MDF to use as my glue spreader.
    20190518_074104.jpg
    After the glue up. Came out really well. Center lines lined up and even squeeze out all the way around.

I would like to say that these sanding attachments for a power drill are freaking amazing!
    20190518_103812.jpg

Next I cut out the outline of my neck and fretboard.
    20190518_181353.jpg 20190518_182002.jpg 20190519_130029.jpg

Unfortunately the lines got a little wavy but i was able to sand them out with out any difficulty to a nice flat side.

MerlinTKD, secretpizza, IGC and 2 others like this.
  18. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Honestly, how dare you even show your face in here after you ignored us to spend time with your brand new firstborn?

:) congrats! We'll expect a short scale build 3-5 years from now.

Solodini, XPT707FX and Defyantly like this.
  19. Defyantly

Continued due to me not able to upload more than 10 pics per post.

Some tools came in and I was super excited to put them to use.

20190521_141854.jpg

Routed out the neck pocket and boy was it a tight fit. Still need to do a little sanding to its smooth but im pretty stocked about my first neck pocket ever.
    20190523_154816.jpg 20190523_154827.jpg 20190523_154835.jpg

I am also absolutely in love with the shinto rasp. It makes quick work of this poplar back. (I also routed a roundover across the whole back to keep it comfortable)
    20190523_163630.jpg

I also took some of my left over roasted maple and made a cavity cover but screwed it up as i tried to drill out the holes for my magnets that will hold the cover on so now i believe im just gonna use some scrap oak from the top.

I also was able to get some scrap wood from some locals that were jsut gonna trow it away so i decided to try my hand at resawing a really gnarly looking board to see if i could turn it into a potential 1/4 inch drop top for a future build. It went from this.... 20190519_121555.jpg

to this....
    20190519_114452.jpg

Not to shabby. It was all done by hand with a ryoba pull saw and boy did it take forever. Its still kinda gnarly but nothing a little bit of time on the router sled wont fix. Thanks for reading. Ill try and keep this more up to date as i get stuff done.

Albake21, MerlinTKD, IGC and 2 others like this.
  20. Defyantly

Thanks! an definitely on my mind already. Plus it gives me a reason to "ask" to buy more parts!