Decided to strip my Fusion today

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by wannabguitarist, Jul 20, 2014.

1. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

Before:
    [​IMG]

Workspace:
    [​IMG]

Halfway done (hit with some mineral spirits, final product will be slightly less burned):
    [​IMG]

Where it's at now:
    [​IMG]

Still working on these little spots of sealer:
    [​IMG]

Pretty excited to see it has a one-piece body with some nice figuring. I haven't decided if I'm going to go with tung or tru oil. Any advice?

Blood Tempest, Edika and Randy like this.
  2. VSK Guitars

VSK Guitars Handcrafted Quality

Looks like a good start... I personally like the looks of tru-oil more than tung oil. It's also easier to work with IMO and it builds a little better

3. rikomaru

rikomaru SS.org Regular

Holy sh!t I thought you were refinishing a Breedlove Fusion. Panic attack subsided. Lol

4. wannabguitarist

And here is the body after 120grit and some mineral spirits:
    [​IMG]

So, any finishing tips? I can't figure out if I should use tru or tung oil. I also want to grain fill to make the pores stand out a bit more but I'm not sure if that's needed or even recommended with an oil finish.

:lol: god no

5. wannabguitarist

Bump. I ....ed up and had to start over :lol:

What's the best way to evenly apply oil to all sides of the body? The coat hanger method I've been using sucks and waiting for the front/back to dry before doing the other side might make keeping the finish consistent tough. Ideas? At this point I'm tempted to leave it be and just put it back together because it's such an awesome guitar.

6. Killemall1983

Killemall1983 SS.org Regular

Man, that original finish looked way too great to strip.
    Drill a hole from the center of where the neck plate goes all the way through to the neck pocket and bolt it to a board. That is how i painted guitars for years.

7. Renkenstein

Renkenstein SS.org Regular

I'd avoid putting another hole in the pocket and instead put a couple screws through your neck bolt holes into a piece of scrap wood.

8. wannabguitarist

So, I wet sanded the whole body today with 400 grit to take out the high spots, scratches, and other various ....ups. It's pretty damn smooth now with no imperfections except for these pale spots all over parts of the body. The butt of the guitar and the horns are the worst; it doesn't really show in the pictures but they're really cloudy. Can I just reapply the next coat of oil over this or will it still look really uneven?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, should I apply another coat, wet sand to 600 grit, then apply a final coat? Or wetsand this to 600 grit before applying a coat? I'm just getting impatient at this point :lol:

I found my ex-girlfriend's old Yamaha under my bed and cannibalized the neck to hang the guitar :lol:

9. Prophetable

Prophetable Prophet For Profit

If that's TruOil those dull spots should go away after the next application.

10. fortisursus

fortisursus SS.org Regular

Agh I hate you! I've been GASing for a fusion lately. Cool finish though. I also did something similar back in the day with a Jackson Dinky pro XL.

11. Renkenstein

Renkenstein SS.org Regular

Endgrain. It always soaks up the most oil. Keep applying. How many coats do you have on it? I wouldn't sand until I had a few coats on at least.

12. wannabguitarist

I had about 8 but had to go back and strip some because they were too thick and stayed tacky after a few days of drying. I dunno where it's at now honestly.

Danish oil. I applied another coat after making that post, let it dry, and checked on it this morning and they're still there (albeit, slightly darker now). This is annoying :lol:

I've been looking for a HH mahogany fusion for years. Trying to track down one of the trans white (or yellow) HH Charvel fusions with the Schaller Floyds now.