Decibel Signature One limited series

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by darren, Oct 26, 2013.

1. darren

darren Forum MVP

[​IMG]

http://decibelguitars.com/signatureone/

I will be producing a limited run of instruments as a tribute to the first guitar i built 25 years ago. The Javelin is a descendant of that original instrument, and will have specifications that reflect that original design, with a few evolutionary features… either things that i wanted to do at the time, but couldn’t, or things that i think are better ideas or executions of ideas.

Specifications:

Body
    • Javelin R shape
    • 7/8″ Lightweight mahogany back
    • 7/8″ Figured claro walnut top
    Neck
    • Decibel NEXUS™ carve
    • 3-piece maple with Decibel Carbon Truss™ construction
    • South Asian rosewood fretboard and headstock cap
    • 25.5″ scale, 12˝ to 20˝ compound radius
    • 24 Dunlop 6105 frets
    • Aluminum Decibel logo inlaid at the 12th fret
    • Luminlay side dots
    Hardware
    • Original Floyd Rose tremolo with brass “big block” and Tremol-No™
    • GraphTech Black Tusq XL nut
    • Hipshot Grip-Lock open gear tuning machines
    Electronics
    • Seymour Duncan Full Shred (bridge) and JB (middle)
    • 3-way toggle switch, Volume and Tone
    • Series/Split/Parallel switching for each pickup
    • Neutrik locking output jack

Pricing:
    CAD$3200 6-string
    CAD$3400 7-string
    CAD$3500 8-string

Prices include an SKB 3i series hardshell case. Left-handed available at no extra charge.

$1000 deposit required to reserve. 50% of balance due in March, 2014. Remaining balance is due prior to delivery. Delivery is expected Q3 2014.

The Signature One series will be limited to 5 guitars.

Reserve yours here: http://decibelguitars.com/signatureone/

canuck brian likes this.
  2. Khoi

Khoi SS.org Regular

That looks insane..

A couple quick questions though, what exactly is the NEXUS carve?

And a bit curious as to why you chose the bridge + middle pickup configuration?

3. ramses

ramses Guitar/pizza regular

+1

4. darren

darren Forum MVP

The NEXUS™ carve is my own neck shape (patent pending). It's an elliptical "C" shape down at the nut, but gradually flattens out to a bevel on the bass side, guiding the player's thumb around the neck, while keeping the thumb-to-finger relationship a little more consistent. This results in greater playing comfort and better leverage for fretting and bending in the upper registers. I've been meaning to do a full post on it on my blog. I must get to that soon!

With my original guitar, i was mimicking the Kramer Nightswan, which i thought was one of the coolest guitars in existence. Once i started playing it, i realized that a bridge pickup sounds just monstrous in the middle position. (On many 3-pickup guitars, the middle pickup is a neck pickup, not a bridge pickup.)

Bridge pickups tend to be designed with greater output and more punch. The strings don't vibrate as far closer to the bridge. Move a bridge pickup away from the bridge where the string excursion is greater, and you get a lot more output and more overtones. The JB absolutely ROARS in that position. And with the series/split/parallel options on both pickups, there are lots of tonal options. The JB in parallel sounds really warm and open with a little bit of "glass".

5. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

I agree on bridge pickups in the middle position. If only it didn't bother me when picking, I would totally have H-H-H guitars :lol:

6. theoctopus

theoctopus 乇レ 刀uᄊ乇尺o u刀o

I'm interested in the run. Forgive me, though, I do have a quick question. I've invested in guitars from a couple well-known luthiers and have been left hanging with cash out of pocket on builds that have no real progress. It's frustrating, as I'm sure you can understand.

You definitely have buzz around your product, but I haven't seen any new Decibel guitars in a long time. In order to feel comfortable making a sizable cash investment, I need to know that you're actually up to the task of producing guitars with some regularity. How many builds have you done in the last 2 years?

7. Stereordinary

Stereordinary SS.org Regular

An eight-string at that price with that level of custom machining and work is, in my opinion, a screaming killer deal. Really they all are, but I'm just stuck on the eight-string option cause I'm obsessed with eights lately. Lol.

8. darren

darren Forum MVP

I totally understand your apprehension, and i've certainly had my own production delays for numerous reasons. But i've always been honest and upfront with my customers and have kept them abreast of what's been going on when timelines have slipped.

2012 was mostly a write-off due to shop and budget constraints. Trying to build part-time out of my garage was extremely difficult, especially when my wife was working nights. In autumn of 2012 i committed to making Decibel a full-time venture, and much of my time was spent writing business plans and securing start-up capital.

Most of 2013 has been spent getting a new shop established and new machinery up and running. I'm finally running smoothly and will be on track to deliver about 4 to 5 instruments a month. I have a backlog of about 8 instruments in my build queue right now, which includes some prototypes that are nearly finished.

9. that short guy

that short guy SS.org Regular

Gotta admire a man with integrity. the guitar looks amazing I have to admit I don't really gel with the headstock (I don't like how it comes to a point I think it would look amazing with some kind of contour kinda like the new evh headstocks). that being said I will admit there are very few that I do and I know I'm a headstock nazi . but since I'm not in financial place to reserve a slot I at least wanted to give you a bump so someone on here will take it.

I seriously hope someone hops on this one for you man because that thing is incredible.

10. JaeSwift

JaeSwift Of Blood and Sawdust

So what happened to your original waiting list? Not trying to rag, just curious!

Also, still an eternal fan of your designs. JB in the middle definitely has me interested. By that theory, straight pickups with a fanned fret bridge should work really well instead of sounding like crap as most people perceive it, no?

11. Jay Jillard

Jay Jillard I make things.

thats one perception that has always bugged me.

straight humbuckers in a fanned design can still sound great, a little different than the normal sound, but still a good sound. I think its a mostly visual appeal for slanted pickups.

edit:

i also got a chance to feel darren's neck design the other week. Very comfortable.

12. darren

darren Forum MVP

I'm still working through the waiting list, and those orders will be built as they come through. This is more of a "side project" that will be built in parallel. I do have a bit of wiggle room in my workflow for building prototypes, personal instruments, show guitars or artist guitars.

13. Stereordinary

Stereordinary SS.org Regular

And as well you should! We have to chase our muse or we are just building the same guitar over and over, or worse, building someone else' guitar over and over. I for one do not want a guitar made by a guy who isn't enjoying what he's doing because he's too swamped "filling orders" to take a little time to himself to do something fun. More power to you, man.

14. darren

darren Forum MVP

Bump for the Monday crowd. One slot has already been claimed. Four more remain!

15. theoctopus

theoctopus 乇レ 刀uᄊ乇尺o u刀o

I really appreciate your thoughtful response. It's clear that you have a lot of passion for what you do, and you've been trying to do it right. I can't say enough good things about that approach to running a small business. The primary problem is that your 4-5 instruments per month is speculation, right now. I'd love to trust that number, but I've been sold that story before and been left high and dry. My advice (not that it's being solicited) would be to work through your wait list, build some great guitars, generate buzz about being up and running again, hit that 4-5 instruments per month to prove you can do it, and then start cranking up your profit margins through these additional runs. Right now, it's just a huge risk for buyers like me, should you run into major issues due to your recent reentry into the market. With no proof of function, and a very small output in the last few years (guitars and picks), it just seems like a high risk investment. Granted, should you meet your expectations and hit it out of the park, then that high risk comes with high reward.

With all of that said, the guitar looks great. Best of luck on the run! Can't wait to see the new guitars.

16. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

Are any of the specs negoitable. I understand it's a tribute but are the pickups changable for example? Or scale length on the 7/8 strings?

17. darren

darren Forum MVP

The specs are pretty much set… the whole idea is that these are an updated version of the original. I'll probably offer 27" scale as an option on the 7 and 8 strings.

18. darren

darren Forum MVP

The second Signature One has been reserved. Only 3 slots are left in this limited run.

19. xwmucradiox

xwmucradiox sweep.tap.sweep

Any pictures of actual guitars available? I checked out your web site and it seems to only be 3D renderings of guitars.

20. darren

darren Forum MVP

The site's in the process of being rebuilt, and i haven't put the galleries back up yet.