Decibel Guitars: January 2013 update

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
DecibelHQ_2013_720x267.png

Greetings, friends!

I thought i’d kick off the year with a note to everyone just to let you know where things are and where things are headed in the new year.

The past year has been one of great challenges and frustrations for Decibel Guitars. Rather than go into a lot of boring detail, i’ll sum things up by saying that i was unable to reach the ambitious goals and objectives i set out to achieve with Decibel in 2012. This was a huge disappointment, and i know i’ve let some of you down with delays and missed deadlines.

That said, i learned a lot from the process. Mainly, i learned that in trying to build guitars (and a company) on a part-time basis, i really wasn’t giving Decibel the time and resources it needed to properly grow and flourish.

After a lot of soul-searching, a lot of sleepless nights, and more time in front of spreadsheets and writing business plans than i would care to repeat any time soon, i’m excited to announce that in 2013, i am making Decibel my full-time commitment and my “day job”.

I have taken a lease on 1000 square feet of industrial space, and i’m in the process of securing start-up financing to fund the acquisition of all the equipment i’ll need to fulfill my vision for Decibel Guitars for the near future, and position it well for long-term sustainable growth.

To those with builds in progress, i do apologize that they have taken longer than anticipated, and that deadlines have come and passed. That will be changing for the better with the acquisition of new equipment in the coming weeks.

To those on the wait list, my hope is that once i’m up to speed, builds will proceed at a much more regular pace, reducing wait times for everyone. I also hope to squeeze in occasional one-off builds and potentially short runs that will be offered for sale to those on the wait list before sold to the general public.

In conclusion, i’d like to thank you all for your enthusiasm, your confidence and your belief in what i’m doing. The journey is about to get REALLY exciting.

All the best for a healthy and prosperous 2013!

darren wilson.
Owner, Decibel Guitars

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
Good stuff Darren :yesway:

Im supremely stoked to have you get started on my Black Limba body, Bastogne Walnut top, Roasted Maple neck w alnico Black Hawks 27" 7 string that I paid around a 2K deposit for a few months ago :yesway:

I am very excited that you will have the space and time to build this one the best that you can for me. I know its gonna take some time but it will be worth it :yesway:

shadscbr

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Congrats Darren, sounds like a great plan. I hope to work with you in the future :)

I wish you the best of luck!

Shad

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
Darren, that sounds great- I'm very stoked also, although not in the same way that Leo is! Wow, those specs sound great!

elq

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
:yesway:

And as a teaser of the kind of awesome coming from Darren -

eJIxY.jpg

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
Always the same shit. A business grows and all of a sudden quality goes down the toilet. First preview: a guitar cut the wrong way round... seriously.

:fawk:

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
That post, if read the wrong way, could come off really bad.

Edit: And he edits his post to clarify.

XEN

BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS
Contributor
Reaction score
Great news Darren! I was scared for a minute there reading the beginning but it took a great turn.
I love your work and it deserves recognition and wide acceptance.

jfb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
As a fellow business owner myself I can say I experienced the exact same thing. I wish you well in your endeavors. And congrats on having the nerve to take that step.

ACG

AcaciaCustomGuitars
Reaction score
I'm excited for you, Darren! Hopefully we can meet up/catch up at NAMM this year.

- Joe

AxeHappy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You keep coming up with fantastic new ideas for your guitars. I almost hope it takes a bit longer for my spot on the wait list to come up simply to see what else you will come up with! :lol:

ihunda

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thumbs up for the clear email addressing the situation in a professional manner!
Good luck on your startup and enjoy every minute of the journey!

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
I like to watch the Shark Tank TV show (similar to Dragon's Den in Canada) and it's a common theme with entrepreneurs....the struggle of making the jump of quitting your day job and running your business full time.

They always give a hard time to people that don't jump in with both feet, probably because launching a successful business really needs all of your time and attention.

Good luck! It seems like you have plenty of support around here :)

Last edited: