Decapitated - Cancer Culture

neurosis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
First couple of listens have been good, I'm jamming. Favorite track is probably "No Cure".

I have nothing against the features, but those tracks are still the weakest imo.
Totally agree. And somehow the lyrics are on the cheesy level throughout, features included. But damn is the music heavy. Vogg is just a beast and I am all for the burst into groove they do so well. In my opinion a great album. But my overall album of the year so far goes to Evergreen. Totally biased there but how they manage to come up with at least one song that has a few original melody turns is beyond me. They're just such good writers. Or Tom is.

Anyway, back on topic. Vogg great. Band message and marketing... could be better. Less can definitely be more. Simple on the other hand...

guitar_player4_2_0

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Is that a new guitar for him? Last I remember he was playing an Iceman and I think it had Dimarzios. Looks like what he has now has a Floyd nut with a stop tail and fine tuners, but I’m watching on an iPhone lol. Also, I haven’t heard of that amp company he’s playing before. Anyone have any info on those?

Disfear

a lurker regular
Reaction score
Vogg's playing still blows me away, and the album is a nice turn into a bit more aggressive without forgetting some of the grooves. Just stay out of the lyrics and enjoy the riffs.

Perge

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Enjoyed my first couple of playthroughs in the warehouse. Definitely feels more focused and aggressive then some of their previous albums imo. Do agree the 2 feature songs are the weakest, but that's not to say they're bad, the rest of the album is just more my taste.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
your front yard, staring into your window
Alrighty. Been a massive fan of these guys for decades, seen them a bunch, met the former members before the accident, and hung with them since. Nihility is their most comprehensive riff album ever, and Organic is THE standard of modern death metal. Like someone else said, it is THE album. Carnival was a good return, kinda Negation ‘esq. The last two records were ok, had flashes of brilliance but ultimately not lasting for me. This record is better, the best since Carnival. And that record took me some time to get into. I’m always hoping for more old school, but I’ve accepted their more melodic direction and just cherish their first 4 records as some if the best and most important death metal records in existence.

I agree the two singing tracks are the weakest, although on their own as melo-death songs are pretty well written. It’s the whole “broaden the appeal” approach, which I’m very conflicted with. I think it’s safe to say they’ve become a “popular” death metal band and write in a more melodic technical style than the atonal and dissonance phrases I prefer. I started hearing this on the last two records. I’d typically skip, but Iconoclast is a pretty stellar song with some ferocious riffs. Not for just Rob Flynn’s singing, you can hear the Machine Head influence in the writing here. It’s fine; could have been a lot worse.

So overall it is getting listens; there are some banger tracks and ridiculous riffing throughout. Last Supper has distinctly “Nihility” riffs to it, and with the title track are my favorite riffing songs on the record. Last Supper is the most old school Decapitated by far; if they could string a few more songs like that together in the future I’d be Craig Tucker getting to say “tampon dick shi!t” in the classroom happy.

That MLC half stack needs to be in my home. I’m fanboying that rig like people do for Petrucci’s Mesa stuff. Seeing more death metal players signature stuff coming out is awesome like Sammy’s LTD SD-2, Brandon Ellis’s Jackson Kelly, Erik Rutan’s Ironbirds (which almost nobody will ever get at the rate BC Rich is going) is absolutely awesome. I’d love to see a Vogg Ibby Destroyer sig, holy sh!t. So to answer some comments he’s been playing Ran, Ibanez, and Silent Scream using a mix of EMGs and Lundgren pickups. I’m sure there are exceptions, but his main squeezes have EMGs and Lundgrens in both 6 and 7 string guitars. There’s other threads regarding amp discussion, but Mesa Recs, Crate Excaliber, Bogner Uberschall, and 5153s have seen their time prior to MLC. And that Subzero amp is a beast; I love the tone he’s gotten from it and I hope to hear it in a less produced recording. I hope he never gets on the Fishman wagon; I can’t stand the “honk if you like my driving” tone (reference the KsE live album that just came out).

If anyone is jonesing for older Decapitated riff worship, there are a couple 25 Year Anniversary tour rehearsal clips on YouTube that definitely help satisfy.

Last edited:

BusinessMan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Like someone else said, it is THE album.
I'm like... 90% sure that's me :lol:

Organic, in my mind, is their best and my personal favorite.

I'll say that I much preferred blood mantra to anticult in terms of their most recent albums since Carnival though. The new one is really good, but the "Hello death" track by itself takes it down a notch since I have to skip it every time.

Sammy J

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm like... 90% sure that's me :lol:

Organic, in my mind, is their best and my personal favorite.

I'll say that I much preferred blood mantra to anticult in terms of their most recent albums since Carnival though. The new one is really good, but the "Hello death" track by itself takes it down a notch since I have to skip it every time.

Organic is my favourite death metal record of all time. It’s Sonic perfection. The first 4 are all godly, but Organic is >>>

I think Cancer Culture is their best material since Carnival is Forever. It’s not as old school as I was hoping given the interviews Vogg was giving in the years leading up, but it’s certainly the heaviest they’ve been in a decade.

In order of best to worst IMO

Last Supper
From the nothingness/Cancer Culture
Suicidal Space Programme
Just a Cigarette
No Cure
Hours as Battlegrounds
Iconoclast
Hello Death

Dudley

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
After how dull the teaser tracks were this has been a really pleasant surprise. I know they have their fans, but damn does the lady from Jinjer have an awful voice.

I love the first four albums and I’m happy to accept they they’ve moved on and don’t expect Vogg to re-write the same album over and over again (I mean, I remember how much of a shitstorm OH caused upon release because of the departure in their sound)… I’d just like it to not be as bland and knuckle-dragging as the previous two were. Mission accomplished, somewhat. The drum mix, and playing, is so much better and punchier than it’s been in a while, too.

alex_x

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Last edited:

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
your front yard, staring into your window
Yes there are, guitar in your first video has ARB pickups (made in Crimea fyi), dunno if they were used during recording, but definitely used by Vogg as main now,

Can see 'em more closely here:

They sound freaking rad if he’s still using them! I remember the IG post when he got that guitar for his B-day and recall not knowing who the guitar brand or pickups were.

Ace info!

Addie5150

Amidst the chaos
Reaction score
I think Soreption pulled of a better decapitated with Jord than decapitated themselves with cancer cuulture
The first 2 tracks on Jord had me smiling throughout such is the level of organic hallucinosis worship on those tracks
Tatiana singing over those shredding vogg riffs is such a put off

BusinessMan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think Soreption pulled of a better decapitated with Jord than decapitated themselves with cancer cuulture
The first 2 tracks on Jord had me smiling throughout such is the level of organic hallucinosis worship on those tracks
Tatiana singing over those shredding vogg riffs is such a put off
Soreptions new album is really good. Their previous album (don't remember the name) also had some really good decapitated worship on it.