Death Metal

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Chris Bowsman, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Chris Bowsman

Chris Bowsman Nu-Metal Apologist Contributor

A friend and I were discussing awhile back how if we could only listen to one variety of aggressive music, it would be death metal. We both joked about how our parents would say music like that was a phase we were going through, and how both of us listen to far more abrasive music the older we get.

I'm curious how everybody got into a form of music that the vast majority of people find unlistenable. Here's my dumb story:

In high school (mid 90's), my friends mostly listened to hard rock, with stuff like Dream Theater, Metallica, and Queensryche thrown in. A few of us liked Pantera, but that was about the limit. I started getting into White Zombie, Korn, Sepultura, Type O Negative, stuff like that, which most of them hated.

About a year after graduation, a friend and I were riding around, and heard an ad on the radio for a Cannibal Corpse show in Cincinnati that night, and tickets were really cheap, like $10. We'd go to the record store and laugh at their song titles, but forget listening to anything like that. For whatever reason, we decided to go see them as a joke. Stopped at the local record store on the way, and asked the dude to recommend an album so we'd know at least some of the songs. He knew we weren't into that stuff, but mentioned they'd just released an album (Gallery of Suicide).

A couple hours later, we're walking into the show, and a band called Angelcorpse is on stage. I remember the vocalist growling, "This is a song called CONNNNNSSSEEECRRRAAAATTTTIIIIOOONNNN!!" and it's the most chaotic stuff I've ever heard. The two friends that went with me are basically laughing at it, but by the time Cannibal went on, I was pretty mesmerized. I worked my way up front, and stood between Jack Owen and Corpsegrinder, and by the time we left, I was completely won over. Walking out, they were both groaning about how awful it was. I was like, "Fuck you guys, that was awesome." I took the CD with me, and have loved them since. Still have the shirt from the show, and can't believe I got away with wearing it anywhere, haha.

aesthyrian, Jeries, iamaom and 14 others like this.
  2. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

The song “Oath of Silence” by Sylosis is what got me into metal. Still one of my favorite songs to this day.

3. AwakenTheSkies

AwakenTheSkies SS.org Regular

I got into agressive heavy metal when I was 9 years old, I discovered this track because of the movie Resident Evil Extinction, didn't have much supervision, I jumped around the house listening to this song;

cwhitey2 and Thorshammer1980 like this.
  4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire thy fart is murder

I didn't really get into tech/death metal til I was a sophomore in high school. My friend showed me Death's Sound of Perseverance and I was entranced by the riffs. They were aggressive but still relatively pleasant to listen to (melodically speaking).

I was already playing guitar and listening to metal by that point ( classic stuff like Priest/Sabbath/Maiden, some bay area thrash, power metal stuff like Stradivarius/ Manowar with a healthy dose of At the Gates/In Flames) but something about that album clicked with me.

Floppystrings and slan like this.
  5. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

I saw the video for “Trigger” by In Flames on Headbangers Ball while I was staying up too late one night as a kid. I had listened to what I considered “metal” before that, Korn, Limp Bizkit, etc. That was a before and after moment that night. I quickly got really into the Scandinavian and metalcore stuff around from that era and pretty much all of the sub genres. Metal head ever since. I bought ‘Miasma’ when it came out because I liked the video. Still one of my favorite bands and I’d say that’s what got me into death metal.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    works0fheart and vilk like this.
  6. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Grew up in Detroit and was into underground rap.

When my brother and I hit 16 and 15 a cop friend of my moms told her to get us out of there or we were gonna end up in prison or dead. We came home one day and the entire house was packed up and loaded into her car and a giant cargo van that I had to drive cross country.

It had a cassette player thank god. Only problem was she’d packed all my tapes except a copy of Master of Puppets that I’d gotten from god knows where.

I blasted that thing for over 2,000 miles and by the time we’d arrived all I wanted to do was thrash.

Found some like minded friends and played in bands for the next 25 years off and on.

Still one of my favorite albums.

7. Thorshammer1980

Thorshammer1980 SS.org Regular

I was 8 years old in 1988. My aunt Jennifer who was a freshman in high school at the time came to stay with us. I came home from school to find her listening to Metallica's "...And Justice for all". It had been released that year. She had four or five 50 cassette carrying cases filled with punk, thrash, and speed metal. I fell in love. By 1991 I had heard Cannibal Corpse's "Butchered at Birth" for the first time. I converted to a death metal kid Immediately. I'm 40 years old now, still a death metal kid.

8. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

Nu Metal ->2nd wave Emo and Metal/Mathcore and Meshuggah-> Grindcore -> Death Metal Education begins around 2010ish, lots of classics, get into Suffocation, Gorguts, Immolation, Steve Tucker MA, Hate Eternal, Death and Cryptopsy right away-> Tech Death, lots of Fallujah, Mithras, Augury, Decapitated, Origin, Odious Mortem, Beyond Creation, Cynic, Decrepit Birth, Dying Fetus -> Develop my core taste of mid era dm, get into Defeated Sanity -> Disgorge

The big 10 or so for me
    Suffocation - Pierced From Within
    Death - Human
    Cryptopsy - None So Vile
    Hate Eternal - Conquering the Throne
    Decapitated - Nihility
    Decrepit Birth - Diminishing Between Worlds
    Mithras - Worlds Beyond the Veil
    Fallujah - The Harvest Wombs
    Gorguts - The Erosion of Sanity
    Defeated Sanity - Psalms of the Moribund

manu80, JxHx, works0fheart and 3 others like this.
  9. TheUnvanquished

TheUnvanquished SS.org Regular

Growing up just a little bit south of Washington D.C. I was introduced to hardcore when I was about 15 or 16. First it was the Bad Brains then Minor Threat and then best of all Fugazi. My friends and I were kind of proud of growing up very near a city that produced some of the most awesome, distinctive, and unique hardcore punk. I actually, come to think of it, first heard Fugazi when John Frusciante of the Red Hot Chili Peppers played a bit of the song Latest Disgrace on their Live at Slane Castle Live DVD. I loved the Peppers, but that was the moment that things changed for me. Hearing that cool riff was the gateway drug to heavier and heavier music. I remember later on during those high school years getting laughed at and messed with a bit at a the Borders in the Annapolis mall for grabbing Death's Human album by the guy behind me in line to check out. Haha. I guess I didn't look the death metal part at that point. But that was it. I was hooked as soon as I put the CD into my car stereo. Still am.

slan and works0fheart like this.
  10. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

The fast guitars in power metal blew my mind when I was ten, then I went to Maiden, Metallica, Slayer, early In Flames and COB, got obsessed with thrash, found Kreator, Dark Angel, Sepultura etc., then from there to dm and bm.

Mathemagician, sirbuh, slan and 2 others like this.
  11. pahulkster

pahulkster SS.org Regular

12. Steo

Steo SS.org Regular

I got into rock/metal around 12/13. Gn'R, Maiden, Ac/dc. Going into secondary school at 13, one of my friends older brothers gave me a tape with Suicidal tendencies Join the army on one side and Carcass' Symphonies of sickness on the other side. First death metal & grindcore. Later got tapes of Morbid angel, Immolation, Few compilations. Always loved just how, er, extreme it all was. This was the early 90's before grunge took off and 80's hair metal was only in decline, not dead as such.

13. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

As a kid I did like Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth etc but quickly got exclusively into prog metal (including Opeth - and they were really the only deathy band I listened to for a long time). I was aware of Necrophagist and thought it was very cool but never really got into that kind of stuff early on. Eventually early djent came around and I found it super fresh and largely moved away from heavier bands in favour of stuff like Plini, Micic etc. The more interesting harmony of such artists led me to jazz, theory in general and eventually 20th century classical music. For a couple of years I listened mostly to very spicy classical music and sulked about how metal wasn't nearly as heavy and evil - before discovering the existence of avant garde/dissonant death/black metal. I was now able to appreciate that as it provided the same atmosphere I'd sought from classical. At this point I was finally able to appreciate the emotional intensity of death metal and blast beats in particular - and now basically listen to nothing else :lol:

14. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I was always drawn toward darker, moodier music as a kid, such as it was in the early 80s. I was born with depression and anxiety, and that sort of atmosphere...helped.

As soon as I acquired two tapes — Master of Puppets and And Justice For All, that was it, I had found my music. It put me on a trajectory in which I kept seeking more; more aggression, darker lyrical content, faster and heavier, and more atmospheric.

After Metallica it was Slayer. I was aware of bands like Napalm Death and Cannibal Corpse, but by chance I discovered black metal first. My entry into that world began with Dimmu Borgir’s Enthrone Darkness Triumphant. Man, what an album! Then, that naturally led me to Immortal, Emperor, Mayhem, Enslaved, etc.

I’m still more of a black metal guy, but somewhere in there I finally went back and started adding death metal into the rotation. While I do love most death metal, I find that it needs to have some sort of atmospheric component for me to keep going back to the same albums for more than a few years. Raw technicality/brutality is not enough to hold my interest, even if I love it initially.

sirbuh and slan like this.
  15. brector

brector SS.org Regular

I was in high school and a friend of mine played Cynic's Focus (it had just released). He was huge into Death metal, but I didn't really care for it. Focus was my gateway

16. slan

slan Fallen Shrines

In 2002, I was 14 years old and obsessed with Rush and Metallica - that's about as heavy as I got. I was spending a lot of time on the Metallica messageboard at the time when someone recommended that I check out Death and Opeth. I downloaded Crystal Mountain and The Drapery Falls off Limewire, and I distinctly remember laughing when I heard Chuck's vocals for the first time. I really didn't get it. The Drapery Falls grabbed me, though. I downloaded the rest of the album and that was it for me. I was hooked. That was my "gateway drug" into extreme metal.

Sammy J likes this.
  17. AlexCorriveau

AlexCorriveau SS.org Regular

Sum 41 was my favorite band from age 11 to 14. It was during the DTLI? and Chuck era. A lot riffs on those albums borrow heavily from metal. It made me want to look further for heaviness. I got interested in Metallica. Then Slayer. Then Quo Vadis and Kataklysm. Then in 2006 I went to see my first death metal show. It was Cryptopsy and Skinless in my hometown. I'm hooked on brutal music since. My mom told me it's just a phase. Nope. I'll turn 30 next april, the music I listen to is heavier than ever!

slan and Chris Bowsman like this.
  18. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

I got into death metal in the early 1990's. The main reason like many other fans before me/at the same time was, "the music was heavier, faster, the lyrics/album covers more gorier, satanic, more of this, more of that, more extreme everything, etc, etc, etc". I've been a fan of the music ever since. Whether they be old school, new school, middle school (LOL) progressive, technical, etc, etc, etc, it's been my favorite music.

19. btbg

btbg SS.org Regular

What does Miasma have to do with In Flames? :p

20. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

started with Maiden, Priest, ac/dc, Metallica. Classical you might say.
    Then you wanna expand or listen to old stuff you haven't known/heard at the times. Glam, thrash, Grunge etc.
    Then you go extreme. Dimmu, Immortal etc...After black metal you try more...virile stuff lol. Death, Morbid , CC Suffocation. Suffocation (pierced from within) was a revelation. Fast, Technical, riffs all over the place....
    Then you select what you like. I go with thrash, Glam and death. I don't like Black metal. Not direct enough or under produced (i know it goes with the spirit but ....hearing fuzzy guitar and a frying pan as drums no thanks)
    Death it the uber version fo thrash to me lol.