Death metal with clean vocals

metalvince333

Gear Whore
Reaction score

I once read/saw (don't remember which) an interview with Warrel Dane where he tried to describe how he wrote the vocal melodies for that song. I don't remember what he did, but if he can write for that, one can write for SoP too :D The problem is less atonalism and more syncopation, in my opinion.

I can try, but my voice is awful. I'll post results if I have any :D

I have a t-shirt that has trippy art and says 'Transcend the Illusion', so I totally think of Faceless as an obvious inclusion :D This thread was actually spawned in my head when I read someone complain about clean vocals in the new Faceless song.
I love the cleans in the faceless, its not like he's doing all those things and techniques with his voice, its just straightfoward cleans that sound really good, very Akerfelt-ish IMO and thats really cool!

xethicx

Banned
Reaction score
There's plenty of bands in the "viking metal" genre that could enthuse the OP a little. It might get a little folky here and there heh but its still pretty tough stuff.

Check out a band called TYR, they might float your boat.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
Timeghoul are awesome, but how does that fit what the OP is asking for? :lol:

this is about as close as it gets

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
I know you said not exclusively clean vocals, but what about Control Denied? Pretty much Death with clean vocals. Heck, A Moment of Clarity and others from TSOP were destined for Control Denied originally.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
I know you said not exclusively clean vocals, but what about Control Denied? Pretty much Death with clean vocals. Heck, A Moment of Clarity and others from TSOP were destined for Control Denied originally.

This is what I came to post. And, outside of some Nevermore, is one of the only examples I can think of.

AdamMaz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The whole point is that it is an assault on the senses and overbearing, why would you want clean vocals... :nuts:

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
Did a search for a more recent thread on this topic (both google and the forums own search function) but nothing came up, so I'm just going to bump this since it's relevant.

Found these guys tonight:

After that album the vocalist left and the band became substandard Brutal Death Metal, but she contributed vocals to a track by another band before completely disappearing.

star

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I know this blog was a couple of years back but I have also been looking for death metal bands with some clean vocals (or more accurately just heavy stuff with some clean vocals as putting stuff in a specific genre isn't my thing). Here are a few of my favourites (all of them are melodeath as this seems to be the best for interspersing clean vocals):

I appreciate that these are full albums but some individual songs if you're not into the whole 'listening to whole albums in one go' thing are:
Rivers of Nihil - Where owls know my name (definitely the least heavy song on this album but this band are awesome in that they have a sax player as a full member of their band and they somehow make it work)
Ne Obliviscaris - Painters of the Tempest Part II Tryptych Lux (the guitar solo in this song is utterly amazing)
Cairiss - I can't pick my favourite - just listen to all of it!
Asira - Efference is a stunning song
Persefone - The great reality

mastapimp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Rivers of Nihil - Where owls know my name (definitely the least heavy song on this album but this band are awesome in that they have a sax player as a full member of their band and they somehow make it work)
A few things about your Rivers of Nihil description...they don't have a full time sax player in the band, they just brought a guy on tour with them as they were playing the full album at every show and he got on stage about 4 times each night. Also, Brody has stated he doesn't want to be pigeonholed as "that sax band" and the next release may not have any horns. I loved their last album, but am excited to see how their next one will turn out with a "winter" concept.
http://exclaim.ca/music/article/riv...issonant_follow-up_to_where_owls_know_my_name

Cynicanal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Maybe stretching the definition of "clean" vocals a bit, but check out Cadaver -- "In Pains".

Also, even more of a stretch, but the first two Atheist albums might qualify.