Deafheaven Thread

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by HurrDurr, Mar 27, 2014.

1. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

Veldar likes this.
  2. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Nothing for me here then

ohmanthisiscool and KailM like this.
  3. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

This is good. It's definitely more "optimistic" in sound. It's vastly better than the last album.

4. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I like it way better than New Bermuda but it don even touch the ass hair on Sunbather

oracles likes this.
  5. wankerness

I wouldn't word it like that, but yeah, Sunbather is one of a kind. I guess I'll hope Oathbreaker keeps doing the really fast and depressing songs that sound like a ripoff. About 1/3 of their last album was fantastic.

6. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

^dude, I had never heard of Oathbreaker until you mentioned them.

Man, so glad I checked out this thread again!

7. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

This is one band I don't think I'll ever get. The music is predictable in its melodies and the vocals (screaming) remind me of all the bands we played with in high school where some kid just decided to scream and has no idea what to do or how it works. I know lots of my friends are losing a nut over this, but I just can't get into it. I think if it was instrumental it would be easier for me to enjoy.

8. wankerness

I don't even know what "predictable in its melodies" is supposed to mean, almost everything is "predictable in its melodies" unless you're listening to behold the arctopus or something.

I guess I don't listen to enough black metal style vocalists to be able to identify anything "wrong."

9. GunpointMetal

I mean, its really easy to "hear" the guitar lines before they're played, which is boring me. The vocals are pretty standard for black metal I guess, it just sounds overly strained and, well, bad to me. I did like the softer moments in the first track and the track with female vocals. The heavy stuff just doesn't do it for me, but I keep trying because people who I would otherwise trust for their taste in music keep recommending them.

10. wankerness

Ok, I get what you're saying. I guess I don't think about predictability unless something is derivative or formulaic, which I don't think this is, and you aren't really accusing it of either.

I have no issue with the vocals. They're so buried in the mix that I don't really have an opportunity to be bugged by them.

What do you think of something similar with more saw edged vocals like Oathbreaker - Second Son of R, or Where I Live?

11. GunpointMetal

I love Oathbreaker, for whatever reason that hits me. Deafheaven just doesn't. I think there are just some bands people can't on with and this is one for me. But like I said, I keep trying, because I keep hearing how awesome they are, it just never sticks.

12. AdenM

AdenM Illuminaughty

Came into Ordinary Corrupt Human Love being somewhat indifferent after really enjoying New Bermuda and Sunbather, but holy shit guys! Just saw them in a smaller venue and it was utterly insane. Best show I've been to in forever. Vibes were insane and it was awesome to hear songs from the album live; they played Honeycomb, Canary Yellow, Worthless Animal, and You Without End - if you get the chance to go definitely do it.

May have gotten a concussion thanks to some stage diver but it was worth it.

Veldar and AdamMaz like this.
  13. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

Glad you had a great time. A couple of weeks ago they played here, but unfortunately had some issues crossing the border. They had backup players that were great, but didn't play any new material :(

14. squids

squids .

I think they sound ok, but what bugs me is the angsty album title and "Zine"-ish cover. It just adds to the alienating SF hipster vibe. i definitely get the whole "high-school band" sound that others have noted, and i've listened through the album a couple times but I definitely prefer stuff like Abigail Williams.

15. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Which is ironic because I've literally seen Abigail Williams boo'd of the stage at a Katatonia concert (or maybe it was Enslaved, or maybe they were playing together?) for being "scenesters"

squids likes this.
  16. CTID

CTID Duh-Jent

If you guys are into stuff like this, you may enjoy Outlier. My old band opened for these guys last year in Florence, SC and they were sick. This whole album is awesome imo

17. Matt794

Matt794 SS.org Regular