DAW Dilemma

GunpointMetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Reaper is definitely something you need to setup for YOUR use, and I can totally get why someone wouldn't wanna monkey with it. I don't know if there's still an options, but there used to be costum skins with modifier scripts that would mimic other DAWs. You'll probably like Studio One. I like their UI, but they have some weird quicks with virtual instruments that I didn't really like coming from Reaper. Nothing that couldn't be overcome with a little familiarity. I HATE the UI for Cakewalk. Can't really say why other than it felt really cramped and I spent a lot of time menu diving for stuff I thought would be easy. Mixbus is great for mixing from what I've seen, and the built-in channel strips sound nice. No experience with hands-on use.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't expect it to be functionally identical, otherwise it may as well be Cubase.

I'm a Cubase user as well of 20 years or so and also found that I simply cannot get along with almost any other DAW's out there save for one - Studio One. I found that one to be the closest in terms of function, layout, and usability. And while Studio One is great as well I still stick to Cubase. I used Studio One on a work computer at one of my last companies during times where it was quiet :D. However, I eventually just bought Cubase Elements for that machine, I use Pro at home but am still on version 6.0.7.

Rev.

fproject

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't understand. You said the upgrade is 270CAD. Where does the $500.00 figure come from? Sounds like that is the difference between the Artist and Pro version, so an extra $230 for the feature you want.

Its really for you to decide. I use Logic and love it and the included plugins are very, very good. A friend uses Studio one and its also very nice.

Nicki

Twit
Reaction score
I don't understand. You said the upgrade is 270CAD. Where does the $500.00 figure come from? Sounds like that is the difference between the Artist and Pro version, so an extra $230 for the feature you want.

Its really for you to decide. I use Logic and love it and the included plugins are very, very good. A friend uses Studio one and its also very nice.

You're correct, the $500 figure is to upgrade from artist 7 to pro 10.

Nicki

Twit
Reaction score

Yeah, I'm very interested in studio one. I'm downloading Prime tonight to play around with. If I like it, they have a crossgrade promo and sale going on right now that makes studio one professional 50% off. Very appealing!

Politics of Ecstasy

OG Shredder
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm very interested in studio one. I'm downloading Prime tonight to play around with. If I like it, they have a crossgrade promo and sale going on right now that makes studio one professional 50% off. Very appealing!

Funny I found this accidentally while skimming through the forum, and I wanted to chime in (but I saw someone beat me to it), but IMHO Studio 1 v4 is the best DAW for ease of use, simple workflow, and just basically transitioning from from ANY other DAW to, well, something else (another dAW)......I was a PT 8 and then 10 user, but someone told me to try studio1 , and when I saw it has such ease of use with drag and drop and VST controls with midi, I was hooked

Ive tried Reaper, Cubase, Fruity Loops, Audacity, Audition, and I bought Ableton Live on sale for $10, but the only DAW i had no issues with so far has been Studio 1

I hope you like the trial, and the drag and drop!

Descent

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I migrated to Studio One from Cubase after their customer support ditched me.

Previously I was a Sonar user. Sonar is now free - might want to take a look. Definitely better than Reaper and more intuitive IMO.

Studio One so far is great as long as it is working right. I run version 2 since I have some older synths and other plugins that I don't care to upgrade, although I am paid up to Studio One 4 Pro.

Lately PreSonus customer support annoyed me so hard, closed my case prematurely and I absolutely livid.
They were really nice and attentive when they launched ver. 1 and ver.2 but lately they've taken the Cubase approach to "Customer support, what is that? The guys that pay the bills? Screw 'em!".

drgamble

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I am also a long time Cubase user. At one point I just bit the bullet and upgraded to the Pro version, I think is was probably around version 7. I have tried to use Reaper, Pro Tools, FL Studio, they just don't do what Cubase does. On my system, Cubase runs flawlessly and I haven't had any stability issues. For me the Chord track, Arranger track, the automation curves, and all of the Midi features make Cubase worth it to me. There is also the fact that I have worked the last 10 years on Cubase and I am just used to working in it. I guess that is the hard thing about switching DAWs. You are starting over and instead of making music, you are hunting through menus, reading the manual, etc instead of just doing all the things that you learn over the years with a DAW. Best of luck to you, but Cubase 10 Pro is really hard to beat. Some of same things that you mention about working with Midi are the same reasons I stick with it. I haven't worked with another program that makes programming midi as easy. I know with Reaper and Pro Tools you have one piano roll and can't assign a drum map to a drum instrument and have it work like it does in Cubase. Like I said, best of luck. If you do decide to take the plunge with Pro, updates are only $50 and usually come with a lot more functionality.

Nicki

Twit
Reaction score
Been playing with the Prime version of Studio One since I got home. I realized that the Prime version doesn't support VSTs so I was just playing around with some recording stuff, the pre-recorded loops and just general frippery. Honestly, I really dig this. I've got the crossgrade code for 50% off and I'm going to use it. It's incredibly familiar to Cubase and I was able to make a pretty awesome little loop mix in just under an hour. Undoubtedly there's going to be some kind of learning curve... but this environment is really what I've wanted without the high price tag of Cubase.

trem licking

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If Studio One doesn't work out, then that's the next one on the list to try, then Mixbus.
If/when you do check out cakewalk, absolutely make an account on their forum! there is a ton of activity on there and one of the main developers, Noel Borthwick, is always on there helping people with fixes/advice and taking notes for future feature additions. There have been a few updates in the last few months that have fixed some MAJOR bugs from the sonar/cakewalk days before the bandlab takeover and they have added in some useful features that people requested.

Politics of Ecstasy

OG Shredder
Reaction score
Been playing with the Prime version of Studio One since I got home. I realized that the Prime version doesn't support VSTs so I was just playing around with some recording stuff, the pre-recorded loops and just general frippery. Honestly, I really dig this. I've got the crossgrade code for 50% off and I'm going to use it. It's incredibly familiar to Cubase and I was able to make a pretty awesome little loop mix in just under an hour. Undoubtedly there's going to be some kind of learning curve... but this environment is really what I've wanted without the high price tag of Cubase.
Wait so you joined prime for free and you got studio one v4 for 50% off? What was that total like $75?

I'm a Cubase user as well of 20 years or so and also found that I simply cannot get along with almost any other DAW's out there save for one - Studio One. I found that one to be the closest in terms of function, layout, and usability. And while Studio One is great as well I still stick to Cubase. I used Studio One on a work computer at one of my last companies during times where it was quiet :D. However, I eventually just bought Cubase Elements for that machine, I use Pro at home but am still on version

Rev.
One thing about cubase is the cross platform with iPad Pro
If you have the iPad Pro app you can edit there as well, id not know if thats useful to you but I always love the utility of backups or alternate routes of recording if any hardware ever fails

Last edited:

Nicki

Twit
Reaction score
Wait so you joined prime for free and you got studio one v4 for 50% off? What was that total like $75?

Prime is just the free version for anyone. It let me get a feel for the DAW and I liked it. The crossgrade is presonus' incentive to users of other DAWs to switch to using theirs. With 50% off, it was $270CAD for me. The same cost that it would have been for me to upgrade Cubase Artist 7 to Artist 10, only with Studio One, the crossgrade was for the Professional version... So a much better value for dollar.

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score

One thing about cubase is the cross platform with iPad Pro
If you have the iPad Pro app you can edit there as well, id not know if thats useful to you but I always love the utility of backups or alternate routes of recording if any hardware ever fails
He's using a crossgrade option. Some companies let you buy their daw at a discounted price if you have proof of purchase of another competing DAW. I got a nice discount on Bitwig by emailing them and asking for a crossgrade option even though they didn't have one listed on their website.

Politics of Ecstasy

OG Shredder
Reaction score
That is awesome.....I had no idea. How do they verify the proof of purchase? I have abletone live registered, could i get a crossgrade?

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
I just sent them a picture of my email receipt from my most recent upgrade to Presonus Studio One 4 Pro. Some companies have a crossgrade option right on their site with info on how to qualify. It's easy though :D

Nicki

Twit
Reaction score
That is awesome.....I had no idea. How do they verify the proof of purchase? I have abletone live registered, could i get a crossgrade?

Sure you can. At time of purchase I think you put your serial and you're good to go. I went to Studio One via Cubase 4 at the time.

In my case, I provided my receipt in PDF for the Cubase Artist 7 upgrade (thankfully I still had that in my email).