Dave Mustaine sold a bunch of his gear on Reverb. Then a d-bag flipper bought it all.

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by KnightBrolaire, Oct 29, 2019.

1. sevenfoxes

sevenfoxes SS.org Regular

There's nothing wrong with flipping, but there is something wrong with attempting to rip people off.

2. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

flipping is my business and business is good

USMarine75, Veldar, XPT707FX and 3 others like this.
  3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I just read the note, and holy shit it wasn't even owned by anyone from Iron Maiden. Literally just an off-the-shelf '80s Phoenix that was painted on and owned by one of their guitar techs.

Not to mention that the Floyd recess job looks pretty fucking bad.

AxeHappy, Masoo2, Edika and 4 others like this.
  4. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

The likelihood that the Dean guitars will be sold for more than that Phoenix is pretty high. This dude is a useless dildo. And the fact some are defending his actions and "don't see the problem" elsewhere is pretty disgusting.

AxeHappy likes this.
  5. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I guess I just don't know what's really going on with this guy because I haven't looked into it other than what I've read here. I didn't know he was ripping people off. When it comes down to theft it's not right.

6. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

That's what I was thinking when I saw it. The note says that it was "owned by -insert scribbled name here- and used by Iron Maiden". I've been an on/off again fan of Maiden since the 80's and I've only EVER seen Dave use Strats from one company or another. The other two, I can't say either way but what raised a 'red flag' for me was that why wouldn't the guy who wrote the COA actually state which guy used it. Normally, you'd say it was used by Dave or Adrian or whoever 'OF Iron Maiden', not just the band name unless it kinda sorta wasn't used by them and that by naming one of them specifically would open him up to getting called out by said guitar player for writing a fake COA for a guitar none of them used.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe it was a 'backstage' guitar that the guys would use to sound check the amps or warm up or something like that and it never saw live use. Either way, even if they DID "use" it, there's no way it's worth close to $27K.

7. Spinedriver

That's what the dabate is, is it 'ripping people off' by overcharging for a guitar ? Some say that it is because he's charging far more than the actual value of the gear (amp, guitar or otherwise) simply because it was owned/used by someone famous or that it's a limited edition. Others are saying that it's not 'ripping people off' because people can look up to see what the actual value of the gear is and are absolutely free to pay or not pay whatever the guy is asking.

There's no question that it's shifty as hell and very ethically questionable but lots of people/companies do the same thing, so the best anyone can do is just not buy anything from him and let others know that his prices are grossly inflated for what they are.

c7spheres likes this.
  8. oppgulp

oppgulp SS.org Regular

I have read quite a few times that when he resells a guitar he doesn't mention flaws, damages etc in the listing. I would call that ripping people off.

9. HeHasTheJazzHands

And as you can tell above, he either posts wrong or misleading information.

USMarine75 and TheWarAgainstTime like this.
  10. Spinedriver

In cases like that, I agree 100%. Also, if he makes very spurious claims that such & such guitar was owned by Kirk Hammett or a particular amp was owned by Joe Satriani (as an example) and has no pictures or genuine signatures from the original artist/owner, then yeah, he definitely is a scumbag.

11. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Look I have no problem if someone buys a great guitar in a bargain, plays it, enjoys it and if he/she feels is doesn't suit them or just have too much stuff decides to sell it inthe current used market value, as long as the guitar is actually worth it with no functional flaws and being in a good cosmetic state.

Buying something in a bargain even with the intention to sell in current used market price to make some profit then it's still ok in my books.

Buying guitars at bargain prices with obvious issues that the previous seller disclosed in full and try to resell them at 70% of new prices without disclosing any of the issues and actually doing what you can to hide them is scumbag territory. Same goes for buying said gear again in bargain prices that has been owned by a relatively uknown musician and try to hype them to sell them more or equal to new prices of the same instrument.

As well as what he did with the Mustaine guitars. To give an analogy it's the same as a band you wanted to see sells tickets online for £35, a reasonable price, some douche buys them all and sets the price at £150. Legal but still a total scumbag.

AxeHappy, XPT707FX and Spinedriver like this.
  12. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

Dude is basically a ticket scalper, only instead of tickets it's guitars. Look at it that way.

AxeHappy, c7spheres, XPT707FX and 3 others like this.
  13. HeHasTheJazzHands

"These tickets were personally sold to me by Metallica('s truck driver.)"

AxeHappy, cwhitey2, c7spheres and 6 others like this.
  14. The906

The906 lifetime novice Contributor

While on the Powerslave tour.

AxeHappy, Adieu, USMarine75 and 3 others like this.
  15. 777timesgod

777timesgod Stop reading this...I said stop!

How do you all know that the guitar was not owned by Eddie (Iron Maiden's mascot)? I think he should state that...and add 10.000$ to the price for good measure.

AxeHappy and c7spheres like this.
  16. thrashinbatman

thrashinbatman SS.org Regular

If he's willing to charge $35k for a guitar that has dubious ties to Iron Maiden, just imagine how much he'll charge for a guitar he bought from Dave Mustaine.

efiltsohg, XPT707FX, Ribboz and 5 others like this.
  17. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

M'fer lists a Randall Warhead half stack for $4.7K. Just because it's green.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  18. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

And then the shit shows begins :coffee:

I can't think of a word offensive enough to call him...but i also dont want to get the ban hammer :lol:

19. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Would it be a banable offense to say he snuggle humps his body pillow at night?

c7spheres and cwhitey2 like this.
  20. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

I dont think that offensive enough...sadly :lol: