Dave Mustaine sold a bunch of his gear on Reverb. Then a d-bag flipper bought it all.

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by KnightBrolaire, Oct 29, 2019.

1. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

He looks like a dude who buy them all. Just bizness to him.

I thought his guitars were cool but who wants a bunch of Deans!

Merrekof, c7spheres and The906 like this.
  2. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Why are we acting like £10k monitors are even good?

AxeHappy, Edika and sevenfoxes like this.
  3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

We all know you can't mix reliably on monitors that cost any less than £73k.

4. OliOliver

OliOliver SS.org Regular

This is the real reason my mixes suck. I only spent a measly £500 on these pieces of shite.

Ribboz, WarMachine and sevenfoxes like this.
  5. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

That's exactly why your mixes sound like dookie in a Suzuki. Time to up your game and spend that 3k on some monitors, bro.

(Note: :lol: )

WarMachine likes this.
  6. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I swear I saw a video where Steve Vai said his monitors cost half million, and this being sevenstring.org Steve Vai is always right.

7. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  8. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

I think Vai’s monitors were $777,777 each and he has 7 of them...

I have no idea how much studio monitors actually cost, I’m just playing around with Vai’s thing for the number 7.

StevenC likes this.
  9. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Watched the video again, turns out Vai's monitors are only $60k.

10. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

the best studio monitors are whatever you're most familiar with

c7spheres likes this.
  11. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

cGoEcYk likes this.
  12. CapinCripes

CapinCripes Trem Snob

I thought you were joking but sure enough dave sold a 10/100 switch. I guess it does warm my heart a little that the scammiest gear flipper on reverb wasted 20 dollars on a 10/100 switch in late 2019 just because dave mustaine owned it.

13. Spaced Out Ace

Wait, Dave sold a fucking switch? As in for a network? :rofl:

14. CapinCripes

CapinCripes Trem Snob

Yep. Not even gigabit

15. Spaced Out Ace

:lol:

16. jonsick

jonsick SS.org Regular

Well that's not entirely true... there are plenty people demanding maximum bucks for things like the Charvel Model 6, or even old Jackson/Charvel generally. I bought my M6 for about £200 used many years ago, but the same model now will run you about £1000 or more dependent on the finish. OK I may have gotten a bargain but at the end of the day I bought mine when nobody wanted them.

If I were to sell it - and I would not - why would I sell for that same £200? Would anybody? I doubt it. It's the same as those guys with super-vintage Fender guitars. They may have bought their Strat in 1962 for a few hundred but now the same guitar would cost you four figures. Even Kurt Cobain bought Jaguars and Jazzmasters when nobody wanted them, not the case anymore. Same as Dimebag; he started on Dean MLs when nobody wanted them and picked them up for not very much. Again a Dean ML or Fender Jaguar made in the same years as when the above two were buying them up would cost you silly amounts of money.

I get the frustration and the potential for greed. I do get it. But to go back to my original question, how many people who are complaining were genuinely going to pull the trigger on any of those guitars? Further to that, are people more annoyed about this person taking the plunge and doing it, or more angry that they didn't get something cut-price? I'm sure we'd all like to be here toting the "I got a Dave Mustaine Dean Z for £silly when it's worth £muchos!"

The history of internet guitar buying is full of people who shout off about what a score they got on certain items. I've given "scores" myself; when I was hard up and had to sell amps for 2/3rds of what I could have got or risk being evicted, it was a thing. I had to take the hit for the quick sale, it's the nature of life. I'm not in that position anymore so have no intention of giving "scores".

It opens a whole bunch of questions. Other than one guy hoarding them for a while and flipping the ones he doesn't want, what's the issue? Personally I just see it as borderline jealousy. Even if he does come back in a year or two and put them up for £10,000 each, who's gonna buy em?

FWIW, there's another thread around here about Jeff Hanneman's widow selling his gear and asking upwards of $75,000 for just one of those pieces. Insane price for sure, I certainly won't be remortgaging the house for one. But could that not be slotted into the same category?

17. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

The guy is named after one of the most known bad guy in video game history, is a used car salesman and a YouTube click bait douche...

Edika likes this.
  18. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

people are just being weird.

c7spheres likes this.
  19. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Which part of what I said isn't true? I didn't say there aren't people out there who flip gear to make a buck, but it's not how everyone operates. I'm not making any statement about the values of the instruments.

Honestly, this is SSO you're talking about. Go look at the kinds of things people buy on here. I would be 0% surprised if a couple of them ended up in the hands of users of this forum. So yes, I do think it's possible that some of the people complaining would have pulled the trigger if they had been given the chance for a reasonable price before it ended up in the hands of someone who was just going to inflate the price and flip them.

In other words.... "other than [literally the issue], what is the issue?"

If the intent of the sale was to put the instruments in the hands of someone who would play them, then that opportunity is gone. Nobody who would play the instrument will pay 10k for one of them. It'll end up going to a collector or something with with deep pockets instead. It ceases to be an instrument and becomes a collectors piece, a decoration, a point for some rich guy to brag about.

People are upset, not because they missed out for themselves, but because of the intent of the buyer and the way he goes about it. If he really just wanted to do a good thing, to have one of the guitars for the community around him and his studio to have access to, etc., then he could have easily done that with a single one of them, instead of buying them all.

20. jonsick

jonsick SS.org Regular

Could you fill me in?