Dave Mustaine sold a bunch of his gear on Reverb. Then a d-bag flipper bought it all.

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by KnightBrolaire, Oct 29, 2019.

1. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

It’ll be interesting to see how the flipping goes for the new owner.

I’m not the biggest Mustaine fan, so my view might not be spot in, but if I *was* going to go after one of his guitars, it’d have to be a Jackson. I wonder how many folks will pay over the odds for ‘just any’ of his guitars, as opposed to a really special one?

2. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

So what, I’ve skipped much of the thread some guy just bought every lot at once, or he contacted Dave & did it via a private sale? I thought the store was up and running for a while? Very out of the loop.

3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Yu[

4. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Well Dave made his money for hospital bills so at least that’s good.

Descent likes this.
  5. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Man, cancer and eight Axe-FX IIs... Hoping Dave a speedy recovery from both conditions.

oracles and StevenC like this.
  6. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

hurr durr free market.

Dave should have auctioned his gear or priced it higher.

Or he could have denied the sale on reverb. You don't have to sell shit you know. You could not sell it.

7. ramses

ramses Guitar/pizza regular

8. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

It's a dick move but it is the free market, which sucks. It's just because it's one guy who bought them I think why everyone is upset. If 20 different people bought one guitar and later flipped them for more money then nobody would know, and if they did know it would only be a guitar here and there and almost expected to sell for more. Most people eventually sell guitars, even one's owned by famous people. Dude got a deal and beat everyone to the punch. I've lost out on a lot of stuff this way and it sucks. We'll probably never hear about the profits made on the recent Gilmour guitar auction winners who will ineveitably be flipping them. But definitely a dick move.
    :dick:

XPT707FX likes this.
  9. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Well, I for one am less interested in buying an instrument that an artist used to own. I AM interested in buying a guitar DIRECTLY from the artist, though. To me, that's the story you can tell. Unless we're talking about Jimi Hendrix or something, where I can't actually buy it from him. So if I see a Jackson that Mustaine used to own, but I gotta buy it from some dude in England, I'm not super interested. And that's removing the factor of who this guy is. I wouldn't buy anything from this asshole on principle alone.

10. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

That part I'm upset about is some useless dickhead taking advantage of someone likely selling this stuff to pay for cancer treatments so he can try to flip it for 3x what he paid.

Korneo, AxeHappy and c7spheres like this.
  11. Trainwreck

Trainwreck SS.org Regular

Dick move sure, but to put it up on YouTube bragging about it only made it worse.

Masoo2, couverdure, c7spheres and 3 others like this.
  12. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Well he gets so much hate because most people are aware of his practices by now. Buy he doesn't care anymore. Soulless ghouls like him don't get phased by such trivial things like ethics.

c7spheres, StevenC and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  13. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

' Anyone interested in playing one of Mustaine’s guitars can come out to his studio and give it a whirl. And if that sounds like too big of a trip? He also reports that he’ll eventually be putting all the instruments up for sale again.'

I like how he said "eventually"... ie: once the heat dies down and hopefully people start to forget what a douche he is, he'll try to quietly sell one here & there.

TheWarAgainstTime and Edika like this.
  14. oppgulp

oppgulp SS.org Regular

He forgot to mention that he charges 65 GBP (about 85 USD) an hour in studio time to try the guitars.

15. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

What about all that "free time"?

16. jonsick

jonsick SS.org Regular

I'm not sure about this; it didn't seem like the guy was bragging. If it's the same dude, I've seen some of his guitars for sale on eBay. He has some pretty nice ones around, one or two I'm looking at seriously.

I mean, he was straight up honest about what he did and why. He did it to raise the profile on his studio business and having that cachet of being able to record with Megadeth's gear and espousing the main tagline of being a primarily heavy-metal orientated recording studio has got to be a plus for them.

I don't know if I would have bought ALL of them myself, maybe a few would have done, but he obviously has some sort of idea behind it. I'd love to test how amenable they are to letting people come by and record with them, but I do all the recording for my band myself so have no need of their studio right now.

Personally I can understand the frustration, but how many of you mega-pissed off people were serious about putting your own money down and buying any of them? Ignore the coulda woulda shoulda, were you actually moving cash from your savings account to your debit account and getting ready to buy one? It seems to me that the effort this guy went to to ensure cash was available seems a much longer process than it would have taken, say, me to do... but I was never gonna buy one. So I didn't.

If the guy is straight up and bought them for people to use in his studio, maybe letting the occasional one go, who's business is it to police him and tell him he can't do that?

Or have I really missed something? Do tell if I have...Seriously, not trying to be an arse, just genuinely don't get the bottom line here.

c7spheres likes this.
  17. jonsick

jonsick SS.org Regular

I've seen his eBay shop previously. The impression I get is that he does do this. My memory tells me that he held onto a couple of amp heads from some band a while back and eventually sold them on. OK there was a markup due to who the guys were who owned them (sorry memory is sketchy as to who and what amps these were) but it just sounds like he wheels and deals occasionally.

Just like most people do too...

18. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Sure, going to his studio is "free" until he hits you with this at the end of the session

[​IMG]

Those $10k monitors aren't going to pay for themselves, you know :lol:

19. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I don't think that's a fair assumption. Lots of people don't just flip stuff to make a buck off of whatever sucker didn't beat them to it. He's taking something that's of value to people and boosting the value for his own benefit. I'm not a big fan of flipping stuff this way either.

There's a difference between something like trying a guitar, deciding you don't like it, sell it at the same price or a loss, etc. vs trying to squeeze money out of those who would want to ultimately own the instruments. There's an almost malicious intent attached to it. Like hey - why let someone just have something, when I can make a buck off them first?

AxeHappy likes this.
  20. DeathbyDesign

DeathbyDesign *Palm Muting Intensifies*

I didn't know who this person was until I read this thread. After looking at his reverb page, I hopefully Mustaine lives until he is 120 years old so this guy gets nothing when he tries to flip them for more. It doesn't look like he is moving that much gear on reverb with the over pricing model he is living by.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.