Dave Mustaine sold a bunch of his gear on Reverb. Then a d-bag flipper bought it all.

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by KnightBrolaire, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Walter W.

Walter W. SS.org Regular

Peace Sells was the shit, one of my favorites

2. tender_insanity

tender_insanity SS.org Regular

Dave looks like Heath Ledger as Joker. Sad.

3. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Wouldn't be against buying something, will see what there actually is for sale. Not necessarily something big and in any case certainly not a(nother) fractal lol.
    I don't expect the guitars to be in my price range.

4. Breeding The Spawn

Breeding The Spawn SS.org Regular

5. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

So he's flipping them?

6. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Oh yes he is and he's notorious for overpricing guitars and hiding flaws from the listing. In short he's a cunt.

Masoo2, Ivars V, Manurack and 8 others like this.
  7. oppgulp

oppgulp SS.org Regular

Wasn't the guitars reasonable priced so everybody should have a chance at purchasing them and now one guy is trying to get a profit on all of the guitars???

8. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

He's the guy who put up a Wizard Modern Classic for like $9k this week because The Darkness owned it. I mean, you really have to work to somehow charge more for a Wizard than they already cost new.

Merrekof likes this.
  9. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

It takes a special kind of person to make a video to brag about how a world famous guitarist is putting up some guitars for sale so that thier fans can own a 'piece of history' and they scooped them all up before anyone else. My guess is that he hired a bunch of people to buy them for him as soon as they went on sale. That way, even if the site had a 'one item per account' or similar rule, that would work around it.

It's kinda like how ebay was for a while where people could actually get programs that would sit & 'snipe' auctions for them without having to actually watch it. I went to the "store" a day or two afterwards and the only things posted were an Axe-Fx II, a couple of wireless units and a bunch of studio/rack stuff. Must've been picked clean pretty quick.

AxeHappy likes this.
  10. sevenfoxes

sevenfoxes SS.org Regular

Did Reverb not put a cap on how many of Mustaine's guitars you could buy?

11. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

I've seen his ads on Reverb, trying to sell used ESP standards for more than brand new E-II's because they're 'ultra rare' :D

Manurack, Edika and setsuna7 like this.
  12. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

All the used Jacksons I've seen him sell are way more than what other people would be asking. One really bad example was a USA dinky that sold on ebay for £670 that needed a refret but was supposed to be owned by the guitarist of Bullet for my Valentine, if I remember correctly. Next day the guitar appears for sale for £1800 without any mention of the issues it had. Talk about a royal cunt!

13. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Lemme guess, this dude (I wanted to use another word, but I won't) is going to flip them in a month or two when the bill comes in and try to triple what he spent.

14. Spaced Out Ace

Note: I tried to remain calm in the prior comment, but... I can't. Dave Mustaine wasn't Ace Frehley (whom was the reason I picked up guitar), but he is the reason I began to take guitar seriously and turned it from something that might've ended up in my closet or given up to something I have played for over 15 years. So, as you can see, I have a lot of love for Dave Mustaine as a musician, and wish him the best. I really think he needs to be kept off the road for a year to recover, but it does not seem to be the case. (ie, the cruise and FFDP tour, which I think is bullshit.)

Anyways...

I don't think there is such a thing; I've not heard of Reverb being able to limit something like that. Dude probably clicked every guitar with the scroll wheel (which will open a new tab) and then went "add to cart, add to cart, add to cart, add to cart, add to cart" as fast as he could so he could upsell the shit out of them. Fucking loser. Whomever listed them should've listed them at a price that would deter this bullshit thievery.

How the fuck can you profit on guitars sold at a decent price (not great, but decent for what they are) so your slimy, snake like ass could profit on someone who is probably selling all of this shit to pay for cancer treatments. Dave was talking about how excited he was to use the Axe FX II because it would be a great upgrade to his sound, and yet he was selling something like 6-8 from what I counted. Obviously, something is possibly really wrong with Dave that requires either further treatments or something, which has me pretty worried.

In short, this dude can go fuck himself. Seriously. Scummy grub worm.

EDIT: I hope this guy rots in fucking hell.

upload_2019-11-10_23-42-8.png

EDIT 2: I had to report the guy. I'm sorry, but this is wrong and Reverb needs to know that people are taking advantage of people in need (musicians with boatloads of cash or not, he sold all of that gear because he is in need to pay for expensive treatments).

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    Masoo2, setsuna7, efiltsohg and 3 others like this.
  15. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Well hey, I'm in perfect health and still sold all my Axe-FX IIs. Let's not jump the gun on that one.

16. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

My sense is that a lot of people might have wanted to buy an ex-Dave Mustaine Dean directly from Dave Mustaine, not so much at a massive mark-up from some doof, but we'll let the market speak and see.

Hollowway likes this.
  17. sevenfoxes

sevenfoxes SS.org Regular

Makes me wonder how Dave feels about all this.

odibrom likes this.
  18. Spaced Out Ace

Pretty sure he had said he was excited to use the Axe FX II in a pretty recent video. He said that he didn't want to get the Axe FX IIIs because he's used new technology before and has run into snags from it being bleeding edge, basically. Not his words, but that's what he was getting at.

19. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

It could also be that he had picked up a dozen or so Axe processors to make multiple rigs for US tours, UK tours, Japan tours, etc... and the ones he's selling are just 'redundant' units that are good to have as spares but not 100% essential.

My guess for Reverb not really stepping in is because...
    1) Who would've thought one person would swoop in and buy them all within a minute.
    2) Just like any other auction, if someone has the cash and wants to outbid everyone on every item up for sale, they are totally allowed to do so.

If anything good comes out of this, perhaps once word gets out and people realize that the one they could have bought on Reverb is now being re-sold by some guy for a lot more than the original price, they may just decide to let him keep them he can kiss all that money he thought he was going to make good-bye.

Let's see how MUCH of a Mustaine fan he is when he has a bunch of his guitars kicking around that no one will buy from him (for what he'll be asking for them anyway).

20. Spaced Out Ace

Fair point regarding the Axe FX IIs.

1) Anyone could've thought that one person would do this. They were priced fairly, which means some scummy turd would likely come in, buy them all, and try to sell them for 3-5x.
    2) Also, it wasn't an auction, but I'm not sure what to call it besides a garage sale or auction, but you get the point. Pedantry aside, whether he has the cash or not, he could just sell it over the next three months at a huge profit.

I think it was stupid getting all of them and then putting up a video. Now people will see the vid, find the original Mustaine sale price, and list the video he posted in their offer. And if so, good. Fuck this guy.

In fairness, I took this really personally because Dave Mustaine has been a huge inspiration to me musically. I don't like seeing people being taken advantage of, especially when the person you bought shit from to take advantage of the common people with is dealing with what I can only assume are astronomically priced cancer treatments.

Spinedriver and The906 like this.