Dave Mustaine sold a bunch of his gear on Reverb. Then a d-bag flipper bought it all.

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by KnightBrolaire, Oct 29, 2019.

1. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

He's the guy that walks on wet floors and claims he didn't see the sign.

2. TheTrooper

TheTrooper SS.org Regular

Sooooo, You guys are pissed off, because somebody bought all the guitars (that you weren't interested in) with (his) money and intends to sell them in the future for more (without being this illegal).

mmmk

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Dave purposefully listed a bunch of cheaper and more random pieces so "fans" would be able to snag some stuff.

It's bad form to arbitrarily snatch it all up, and it doesn't make it better that it was, admittedly, done as a publicity stunt. It also makes it doubly-not-better that he has a documented history of lying and telling half-truths about the gear he sells.

I don't think anyone would care if it wasn't for that three-pronged perfect storm of douchbaggery.

AxeHappy, Edika, nightlight and 7 others like this.
  4. TheTrooper

TheTrooper SS.org Regular

No doubt about the publicity stunt.
    He did buy all of them for real; I don't really see the problem.
    Don't know about his past history in selling gear, not familiar with him; if he his lying about the details it's simple: don't buy anything from him (and/or pay with PayPal or thru Reverb/whaterver platform)

5. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Flipping gear isn't wrong or illegal, it's just douchey. Like not washing your hands after you go to the bathroom, and just running them under the water for a couple seconds with no soap, like that's gonna do anything. Then you go walking around with germ-hands, touching doorknobs and shaking hands with people. That fuckin' guy.

AxeHappy, Edika, Hollowway and 4 others like this.
  6. The906

The906 lifetime novice Contributor

How about we all add his Mustaine stuff into our Reverb carts, then never buy.

"Hurry! 515 people have this item in their carts"

7. PuriPuriPrisoner

PuriPuriPrisoner SS.org Regular

nah because that might actually pressure someone into buying it. It’d be better if we keep sending him really high offers on new accounts and not paying.

8. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

This guy hits the hand dryer on the way out to make people think he washed his hands.

AxeHappy and Edika like this.
  9. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

What a fucking solid roast.

Boofchuck, AxeHappy, narad and 2 others like this.
  10. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

...that's a "feature" intending to PRESSURE people on the fence into BUYING

You'd be making his day

11. Politics of Ecstasy

Politics of Ecstasy OG Shredder

Great? He may be the ONLY genius in classic 80’s/heavy thrash metal. I mean that in all sincerity. There were many amazing players, a couple of prodigies and virtuosos, and a couple of great song writers, but the only person i can think of in as far of
    -composition
    -arrangment
    -musicianship
    - [his early years of solo/lead guitar and technical ability]

TBH, i think Dave mustaine is misunderstood. OFten seen as the rival of metallica, he is the true founder and leader, because he wrote all of the first four foundational albums, and hammer just played it until ....and justice for all.

In order to write the way Dave does, you have to be able to play technically great. I think Dave was sloppy but he had the ability and talent in him

Instead he focused on composition, rhythm(with solos), and vocals, and obviously he did this purposely......his voice isnt my favorite, and i love his playing even if its not the best or clean, but his music, i mean, it IS the foundation of metal, he’s responsible for thrash becoming what it became, like malmsteen’s playing bridged the gap between the old virtuosos of Europe and the self taught players from small town USA, Mustaine brought compositional genius to metal.

I dont mean like he was amazing. I mean, like Mozart, or Bach, Or Beethoven, or Tchaikovsky, or Verdi, or Rachmaninov or Debussy or Ravel.....he was up there with the greats.....

Unfortunately, his insecurities with Metallica, which I can empathize with and understand, limited his own progress.....if he focused on his own instead of the driving force as competing to beat Hetfield or prove him wrong (which he did in as far as music for musicians, but not in as far as sales, hetfield wins that one lol)

Anyway, just saying......Mustaine isnt given the credit he deserves or isn’t recognized for what he actual has done,(maybe his health isn’t good) all the drugs fucked him up, but in the 80’s he was like, THE force on the sunset strip....

Only Dimebag (RIP) couple be looked at similarly, IMHO, but to a much more basic and lesser extent

WarMachine, oracles, bracky and 5 others like this.
  12. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

I agree that if you credit Mustaine with all of Hetfield's best work then Mustaine is the greater of the two.

13. LeftOurEyes

LeftOurEyes SS.org Regular

I never understood why people have such vested interests in the lives of celebrities. Stuff like the Mustaine vs Metallica was always so dumb to me. I listen to the music I like and don't really care what the artists personal life is/was like all that much unless they are just a complete and total douche bag. The only news I care about with bands is when the next album comes out and TMZ can worry about the drama.

14. Politics of Ecstasy

I’m not trying to start a mega death rules “thing” or anything like that

I just mean people shit on Mustaine more than they give him his due credit, and he technically DID write the first four albums, which gave metallica their sound....

It influenced Hetfield through and just for all, which was all him, and then he totally shook of Dave’s ghost on the Black album, which was the new, reinvented metallica with Hetfield as the new backbone (no remnants or residual of Mustaine)

To his credit, again, Hetfield monopolized on what he could (from what I understand from friend of a friend, the story IS true, Hetfield got his ass beat by Mustaine, and that was the excuse to get rid of him, but Hetfield knew, you can’t have a lead guitarist who is also the composer, with an EGO like Dave’s, it wasn’t going to stick together too long, and boom, it got physical, perfect excuse to end ties....probably provoked BY Lars, in order to achieve the goal....get a Puppet, i mean a Hammet....(lol man hes’ the worst overpaid lead guitarist on earth, forget metal lol)

Again, Metallica is a $$$ MONEY $$$ Machine, just like kiss, after a few million records and world wide fans, who cares about the music? Lars saw it way ahead, Hetfield went along with it, Mustaine paid the price....he still is, poor bastard actually is suffering cuz he was kicked from the band he is responsible for launching to the top....oh well, hes a millionaire so fuck all of em lol j/k

FWIW, James is an EXCELLENT guitarist, AMAZING frontman, if not the BEST Frontman (besides Axel), and he actually can write nice music. It’s definitely not nearly as complex as Mustaine (obviously you can tell when Dave was totally out of the writing credits), i mean I can anyway. I’m sure you can too, most of you seem to be quite astute and for the most part, from the sound and video clips, many of you are pro level/awesome

So if you disagree with my opinion of Dave that’s fine, but the facts of Metallica’s origin (first 4 albums, and their huge success from those songs) should be attributed, at least compositionally, to the man who wrote it

I dont care about metallica or megadeth, thats like 10 years ago+
    I just dont want Dave to miss this thread and not know a fan does appreciate his genius, if no one else......

Fuckin Lars.....lol

WarMachine, oracles, bracky and 4 others like this.
  15. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

- I think Dave was more techincally proficient than James, but James and Lars wrote songs more palatable to larger audiences.
    - I think Kirk gets way to much flak but he can play his ass off for sure.
    - They've all accomplished great success and have since made up to each other.
    - Both bands heavly influenced me in my earlier years in the 80's and 90's. I'm not a big fan of either bands later works, but even so they're still good pieces of work, just not my flavor.
    - They're all really well off and I doubt that Dave is selling the guitars because he needs the money for cancer treatments. That kind of money isn't anything when it comes to cancer treatments. Some of those nuclear medicine shots/tretments can be in the 10's of thousands per treatment. Selling a few guitars ain't gonna go very far for that.
    - I doubt Dave cares about these guitars anymore. I'm sure he has guitars he likes more currently.

16. Politics of Ecstasy

Great points, and also I respect your opinion and life experience and their influence, so respect c7

c7spheres likes this.
  17. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Likewise.

Politics of Ecstasy likes this.
  18. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I find Dave’s story inspirational. He was in a metal band, got kicked out, and got pissed and determined enough to make it big. He’s cocky, and not the best player, but to someone like me, who responds to failure with depression, I find it inspirational to learn about people who respond to failure with drive.

19. Meeotch

Meeotch SS.org Regular

I guess I never looked closely at the writing credits, but I thought Dave only wrote songs on Kill 'Em All? I know that Cliff was credited with writing a bunch of the classic harmonies that dominated early Metallica's bridges.

20. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Kill 'em All and some songs from RtL. After that no more credits iirc.