Daily Show destroys Fox news

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
Good lord, it looks like people were battling the Rancor in here. :lol:

I was an avid fan of CNN for years because I believed they were more balanced than Fox or MSNBC. I was wrong of course, and I tend to find most of my news online now. I just can't trust major network news stations anymore, and even quite a few online news sources are biased as all hell.
I just wish for once that people would report the news as it actually happened and leave it at that. They need to stop adding their own spin or "editorial" on things and just give people the fucking facts. That's their job; reporting events as they happen. That said, if they don't know anything, then they need to find out before making a big deal out of it. (a point that Jon was trying to make and I agree with)

And Jon Stewart makes fun of every news outlet and every politician that does dumb shit. I love the man for that. He's not perfect by any means, but I love the way he takes some of these people to task for the stupid bullshit they spew. That said, I agree with Randy and others; Fox News is a soft target at this point. Everyone knows they are full of shit (excuse me "some people say that Fox News is full of shit" :lol: ) and it's like making fun of the slow, tourette's-ridden kid in the corner that eats paste. It's so easy that it actually becomes morally wrong.
There are plenty of other, "less-soft" targets that need to get verbally slapped down for the sheer stupidity that they regurgitate. Like the crap that some of these republican representatives and/or preachers spew about gay people. (I've seen in the news these guys are actually saying that gay marriage is the cause of the boston bombings. :ugh: :noplease: )

pink freud

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
On the subject of other targets: It appears Rachel Maddow has stirred up a hornets nest with the tin-foil crowd. So many youtube vids defending Alex Jones from her.

I fully support Rachel Maddow in her efforts to troll any Alex Jones fans.

mcd

stuff and thangs
Reaction score
On the subject of other targets: It appears Rachel Maddow has stirred up a hornets nest with the tin-foil crowd. So many youtube vids defending Alex Jones from her.

I fully support Rachel Maddow in her efforts to troll any Alex Jones fans.

They both deserve each other. I sometimes find myself thinking "well thats interesting." when i listen to Jones....then I remember I abhor his methods of journalism.

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
wtf did i start lol. Just trying to share a funny clip haha. I just noticed that this thread became active again cause someone messaged me telling me to fuck myself. It made me laugh. Having said that: Enjoy :)

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'll give you a clue. He was alrwady banned for this thread and it just got bumped up to a permanent one.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
They both deserve each other. I sometimes find myself thinking "well thats interesting." when i listen to Jones....then I remember I abhor his methods of journalism.

I'm sorry but if you're playing centrist to the point you think both of those people are on the same area code or that Jones methods of journalism are the worst of his offenses, your radar is out of whack. Alex Jones is off the charts, cuckoo for cocoa puffs crazy and one half step away from the Ancient Aliens guy on the scale of 'jumping to obscene conclusions about everything'.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
I'm sorry but if you're playing centrist to the point you think both of those people are on the same area code or that Jones methods of journalism are the worst of his offenses, your radar is out of whack. Alex Jones is off the charts, cuckoo for cocoa puffs crazy and one half step away from the Ancient Aliens guy on the scale of 'jumping to obscene conclusions about everything'.

Ancient Aliens is 100% credible and unbiased!!!!!! Don't ruin my evening Randy :lol:.

mcd

stuff and thangs
Reaction score

ill concede that point, i guess I prefer more of a michael moore and jones pairing.

His method of journalism is his worst offense though. That's where all of his crazy stems from, he is a lunatic hands down.

Im more of a drudge report guy most the time.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Im more of a drudge report guy most the time.

61vx3rq.gif

Jakke

Pretty wisdomous
Reaction score

a) Alex Jones
b) Journalist

Pick one...

On topic, I had a post thought out, then I remember that it's Bill Maher who's the anti-vaxer.

guitareben

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Wow, Jon Stewart, part-time comedian

Actually, he would call himself primarily a comedian, using political material. Which I think is true. He discusses that one of those times when he's on fox news (not with O'rielly, with the other guy)

And yea, I agree with you, It is kinda worrying if there are people out there using the daily show as news... as funny as it is (And I do think it is funny), it ain't the news :D

ferret

Not worthy
Reaction score
He's always called himself a comedian first, and certainly doesn't criticize Fox alone. He used to rip apart CNN's Crossfire...even as a guest on their own show for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFQFB5YpDZE

He starts really ripping into Tucker around 7:10. Finishing by calling him a dick on live TV at 12:25.

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
He's always called himself a comedian first, and certainly doesn't criticize Fox alone. He used to rip apart CNN's Crossfire...even as a guest on their own show for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFQFB5YpDZE

He starts really ripping into Tucker around 7:10. Finishing by calling him a dick on live TV at 12:25.

This was 14 minutes of the greatest footage I've ever seen. :rofl:
Should be noted that Crossfire is no longer around, but the Daily Show is still going strong. :cool:

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
Aaaaaaaaaand that's the final nail in CNN's coffin. Only thing that will get me to watch it anymore is that Anderson Cooper is damn good eye candy. :lol:

estabon37

Melodica Attack!
Reaction score
Aaaaaaaaaand that's the final nail in CNN's coffin. Only thing that will get me to watch it anymore is that Anderson Cooper is damn good eye candy. :lol:

Holy fuck he's dreamy. I've got my girlfriend pretty convinced that if she ever broke up with me I'd stalk him. I'm mostly joking when I say it. Mostly.

Closer to topic, it really REALLY bothers me that a large part of the conversation so far has been about the need to separate 'hard' and 'soft' news programs that are running on the same network, basically back-to-back. Personally, I'm happy to dismiss an entire network if I feel the need to dismiss several of its hosts / programs, which rules out most 24-hour news stations.

I feel pretty lucky that here in Aus we have two publicly funded, independently managed stations in the form of ABC (Aus) and SBS. The ABC's television news in particular was created with the BBC in mind, and because there are no advertisements there are far fewer vested interests (ads and product placement are banned on ABC - presenters have to say 'media player' instead of 'iPod' for example). Funnily enough, our politicians try to avoid winding up on ABC programs, because they're more likely to be asked substantive, relevant and hard-hitting questions by real journalists who aren't drawn to the high-paying soft-news jobs at commercial stations. Practical, unbiased news should be a free public service, not an investor's wetdream.

ilyti

Lazy Ryebread Viking
Reaction score
^ The example of the Australian no-commercials 24 hour news channel is excellent. I don't think even Canada's 24 hour CBC news is commercial-free, so of course there is more likely to be bias based on investor's interests.

I've noticed even Canadian media is considerably more biased than the media back home in Denmark (but nowhere near that of the American news). The news program on the Danish government-funded TV station don't depend on advertisements, so they try to be as middle-ground and unbiased as possible; it's part of their mandate. Of course, that means that left-wingers say "that show leans more to the right" and right-wingers say "they lean more to the left." But that's the extent of the controversy! The benefit of that is immeasurable. There aren't extreme left and extreme right programs competing with each other, leaving viewers to read between the lines to discern the truth.

HOWEVER - Danish news media is still biased... towards the middle. The political spectrum in Denmark is more or less central. So if the news is biased towards anyone, it's to the extreme right or the extreme left. Loud-mouthed, extreme politicians often say shit just for media attention (i.e. "Let's bring all the dirty immigrants to some island and pour acid all over them" or "Let's replace our military with an answering machine saying 'We surrender!'"). But then the news tells you about it, with the subtle intent of publicly humiliating that person. But then some viewers will agree with the guy, or not. So everyone is represented (theoretically), even if it's not an ideal system either.

estabon37

Melodica Attack!
Reaction score
HOWEVER - Danish news media is still biased... towards the middle. The political spectrum in Denmark is more or less central. So if the news is biased towards anyone, it's to the extreme right or the extreme left. Loud-mouthed, extreme politicians often say shit just for media attention (i.e. "Let's bring all the dirty immigrants to some island and pour acid all over them" or "Let's replace our military with an answering machine saying 'We surrender!'"). But then the news tells you about it, with the subtle intent of publicly humiliating that person. But then some viewers will agree with the guy, or not. So everyone is represented (theoretically), even if it's not an ideal system either.

Unfortunately, I don't think a media system could be invented that could erase shitheads from the equation. Politicians and journalists that lack integrity tend not to improve themselves or raise their standards unless it's for personal gain, and reluctantly improving oneself doesn't make one less of a shithead.

Closer to the original topic, I'd love to see Jon Stewart host a more serious show if he ever decides to hang up his Daily Show hat. Colbert too for that matter. I realise much of their material is written for them, but they're both pretty switched on, and when your focus shifts away from comedy, you don't need a team of writers to help shove a bunch of pop culture references into what is otherwise a social critique. Once a week on ABC we have a show called Media Watch. It's 10-15 minutes long, and its purpose is to hold bad journalism and bad journalistic practices accountable. Stewart has long said he wouldn't become a politician - that doesn't stop him from being the kind of journalist that he regularly complains doesn't really exist anymore.