D'Addario NYXL strings - what's the hype?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Manurack, Sep 11, 2021.

1. The Thing Upstairs

The Thing Upstairs SS.org Regular

I started off with EB slinky strings and jumped on the NYXL hype bus a few years ago. They sound a bit different, feel a bit different, but are they worth nearly twice the price of EB? ..Nope.

I now use either EB or NYXL (don't like XLs) depending on mood, guitar and pickup - I've just bought a set of Cobalt's to try and will use them next time I restring. I play at home and restring probably every 4-6 weeks depending on how often I use a particular guitar and how the strings feel.

I don't use fast fret or anything, just play with clean hands.

Manurack likes this.
  2. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I use cobalts and NYXL (depending on gauge) pretty much exclusively. They last more than 2x longer (for me) than the regular sets that cost half the price. So I get my value out of them. Have never broken either.

Optiwebs are nice but like mentioned before if you don’t use a common size you may have slap two sets together like I have, or just pass altogether.

3. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

This. I find the NYXL too expensive for that they offer, since Elixirs cost the same and last a loooooot longer. Optiwebs are just awesome.

I have to resort to NYXL for guitars with odd scales, though, since Elixir gauges are more limited.

Flappydoodle likes this.
  4. Screamingdaisy

Screamingdaisy SS.org Regular

I’ve tried NYXL a few times on a few different guitars. I thought I liked them at first, but after awhile there’s something irritating in the high end I start to pick up on.

I don’t find they last any longer than regular strings.

5. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

If you're a recording and/or performing artist, the vast majority of people who experience your music wouldn't know the difference. I'd bet money there are plenty of classical recordings done on "dead" strings and nobody is the wiser because there's no point of comparison.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that we are viewing this with different priorities in mind. I'm sure you do notice it, I do too and just don't care because I know nobody else does outside my bubble. If that difference in feel is important to your playing and worth the extra money to you, great. For me it isn't, I see strings as a wear and tear item and outside of gross defects the only really important factor is longevity vs cost.

All that said, I always have a fresh set before a gig. Bringing old strings to a gig=broken string every single time.

6. HungryGuitarStudent

HungryGuitarStudent SS.org Regular

NYXL are my favorite strings so far. They keep their clarity-brightness longer than any other strings I've tried. Also, I never break them.

Neon_Knight_ likes this.
  7. Neon_Knight_

Neon_Knight_ SS.org Regular

How much longer do you find NYXL lasts compared to XL with respect to oxidation (going dull)?
    I've recently made the switch to NYXL but haven't yet been able to form an opinion on whether they're worth the extra.

I'd say NYXL is subtly brighter.

The improved tuning stability is useful, but I've only ever snapped two strings in 15 years (both high E), despite having a firm picking action (according to my guitar teacher), so the improved tensile strength is pretty irrelevant.

I use a separate guitar festival reach tuning, so only replace strings when they are dull - often later than I should, out of laziness. Therefore, the longer they stay bright the better and I don't mind paying a bit extra to avoid the hassle of regular string changes.

8. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

The site I buy strings on just started a flash sale on NYXLs. Gonna have to give them a shot now.

Neon_Knight_ and budda like this.
  9. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

I'd like to try Elixir strings on my 7 but they seem to be rarer than gold where I am

Flappydoodle likes this.
  10. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

They stay brighter longer than most other strings on the market.

11. Thrashman

Thrashman Got Groove?

No hype. Expensive strings that feel rough to the touch and lasts about 2 days longer than their XL range. I say this as a diehard d’addario fan who switched to Elixir Optiwebs due to them crushing everything else out there in tone and longevity.

Emperoff likes this.
  12. Humbuck

Humbuck Can't stop, won't stop

What site??

13. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Manurack and Humbuck like this.
  14. Humbuck

Humbuck Can't stop, won't stop

15. Neon_Knight_

Neon_Knight_ SS.org Regular

Anyone tried XT?

16. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Yes and they are great!! They are so slinky I mistakenly believed that it was just a new package design for NYXL, because I had never heard of XT before, wasn't really reading the package I was just like "D'Addario, black package, let's buy it"

I recently did a comparison between XL, XT (that I believed were NYXL :lol: ) , Optiwebs, and EB Cobalt

The cobalts are horrible feeling on my fingers. They sound OK at best, but they came in last place for me.

Optiwebs are cool because I like the slideyness, but they bring so much more tension—or at least, they feel like they do. 10s feel like 13s. If it weren't for this quality I would like them a lot.

XL is my control group as I've been using them for many years now.

The XTs sounded the best and felt the best of any of these by a wide margin. But now I want to compare them against NYXL.

XTs, according to the website, have an ultra thin hydrophobic coating that prevents corrosion. But they don't feel stiff like Elixirs at all. If you're playing Elixirs for their anti-corrosive coating, I highly recommend checking out XTs, because they sound better and feel at least as slinky as normal strings.

Emperoff and Neon_Knight_ like this.
  17. Manurack

Manurack Nunavut Inuk

Holyshit I remember that site! They gave me a free refrigerator magnet in 2015 and the damn magnet is still on fridge holding up my daughter's pictures!

18. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland SS.org Regular

With the exception of maintenance / repair work like cutting a new nut, I have not broken a string in at least 10 years or more. Its probably closer to 20 to be honest. I only remember breaking 1-2 doing the maintenance work in that time frame.

CanserDYI and Neon_Knight_ like this.
  19. bjjman

bjjman SS.org Regular

I recently started using them and my take is very similar to @vilk's. Feel isn't any different from XLs in my opinion. They've already outlived uncoated strings on a few of the guitars I have them on but haven't gotten to the stage they need to be changed on any as yet, so not sure how much more you get. The sound is nice and neutral, not overly bright and very consistent over time.

Just wished they offered more variety in gauges.

Neon_Knight_ likes this.
  20. Accoun

Accoun SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

?

[EDIT]
    Oh wow, the pic is big.