DAATH is (mostly) alive

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Was just thinking about these guys recently.

EDIT: Shoulda read more of the article first. :lol:

In an interview with Rock Talks, Zatorsky said Daath is coming back but not as you remember them. He added that both he and guitarist Eyal Levi are on the new material, that bassist Jeremy Creamer and guitarist Emil Werstler might be if they have time, and that drummer Kevin Talley is not.

Last edited:

mastapimp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, they were teasing us with pics of Eyal and Emil's guitars hooked up to computers a few months back. Good to see confirmation that new material is in the works!

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
They said they're working with "One of the best met drummers today". Usually that ends up being Alex Rudinger.

Sermo Lupi

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
wooooo
Emil is one of my favorite guitarists

Same here. I'm not necessarily the biggest fan of Daath but Emil has a unique musical voice. And as much as he seems to not want to be known as a shred guy, he might be the best pure alternate picker since Gilbert. Just let me hear the man rip!

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
wooooo
Emil is one of my favorite guitarists

Same here. I'm not necessarily the biggest fan of Daath but Emil has a unique musical voice. And as much as he seems to not want to be known as a shred guy, he might be the best pure alternate picker since Gilbert. Just let me hear the man rip!
He made it sound like he'll only be on board if he has time to record. So don't be surprised if he doesn't end up on the album

JimF

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I had their first album I think, and wasn't keen, and The Concealers was hit & miss...
But the track Day of Endless Light is an absolute banger. Never tire of that track.
Plus I enjoy Eyal's podcasts.
Any recommended tracks/albums to check out?

shpence

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I liked, "The Hinderers" album although it's been a minute since I've listened. Emil's Verlorener I thought was incredible so I'm looking forward to seeing what this ends up being.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Listened to the interview a bit.
He does downplay Emil's role a bit, while saying Eyal is "the sound of Daath". Also says the new stuff that was sent to him sounds like The Concealers "but better and faster". Some "crazy" guests and orchestrations from a guy who's done some Hollywood work, lots of connections because of Eyal.

Opion

Sir Mattafer
Reaction score
Man I really hope that Emil is involved - his playing was IMO instrumental in their sound and I can't imagine their new stuff sounding as good...just listen to Day of Endless Light - that solo is unmistakably Emil Werstler and I can't envision anyone else coming close to that tone and playing style.

I know Emil's had a bit of a falling out with the metal scene and has been highly successful doing his own thing in Nashville. Truly though I have high hopes, because I love DAATH and I'm stoked they're bringing the band back together. C'MON GUYS! Make him a good deal!

Last edited:

feilong29

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Gosh I haven't listened to Daath is SO long; glad to get reacquainted with them. Emil is so awesome and his phrasing is as tasty as it gets. I was able to cover a solo of his during my prime, but only that lol.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Daath is one of those bands that I dig the concept and really like all the musicians on board but just couldn't get into any of the songs. Great parts, but nothing to really stick and make me want to listen again.

Going to have to give them a spin again and see if my tastes have changed.

feilong29

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm listening to Wilting on the Vine right now, and it takes me back. Sick solo too! My favorite solo is from From The Blind.

Opion

Sir Mattafer
Reaction score
I'll definitely give those a go!
The Hinderers was a super diverse album - songs like Subterfuge and Festival Mass Soulform for example. The Concealers was more "cohesive" and sounded more put together. I'd definitely stay between those to albums if you're trying to get back into them, but they are very different sounding records for sure.