D-standard string gauge

csacwp

Reaction score
I'm going to be tuning to D-standard on my 25.5'' scale 7-string. For the first six strings I'm using 11-50 DR Tite-Fit strings. What gauge should I use for the low A? 60s and 70s are available. Also, should I decide to drop the a to a G, what gauge would I want?

UltraParanoia

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I play a full step down as well.
I use Ernie Ball Cobalts 10-52 with a 62 on top.

It rules my life.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I'd go with a 68 or 70 if you're going between A and G a lot. It'll be medium-heavy for A and fairly light for G, but it should work fine since you're already used to a similar tension with the 10-50 set.

If you don't go to G very much, then you could get away with something lighter like a 64-68 for A

ZeroTolerance94

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It depends on your preferences..

I use a 10-56 with 25.5" scale for standard A, and it sounds great. As well as intonates and all, perfectly.

For drop A I use 9-42+56.

The way I like to think of it is: whatever string gauge you would use for a 6 string for that tuning, apply those strings to the 7, and get a 7th string to accommodate. My 6 string is in standard Eb on 9-42's... If I were to tune to A# standard on a 7 string, I know I would be comfortable with a 9-42 plus a 54.

Since you're comfortable with an 11-50 set... For a low A you'd be most comfortable with a 59 or 60 I would think.

It's an opinion of mine that thinner strings are brighter, and have more attack, as well as sound more full... Massive pencil strings sound much warmer and somewhat muddy in some applications, so I'm biased.

Try a 59, should be plenty for an A. Or, since you already know what gauge you like for the first 6 strings... Buy a 59 single string as well as every gauge going up and try them all until you find one you really like.

Rizzo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For 6 strings i find myself quite comfortable with 10-52s, but you know it's all subjective

WestOfSeven

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Do you have a Floyd rose or set bridge?

With a Floyd 62 works ok. Otherwise I think you'll need a 66-70.

I like Dr strings the best but they don't offer a guitar string above a 60. Daddario sells singles from 60-80 maybe just grab a 10-52 set and a bunch of singles and try it for yourself.

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
I snag the DR DDT strings for their .065 for my low A-to-G-ness. Still a bit too floppy for me tho.