Cynic: THE MEGATHREAD

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by StevenC, Nov 10, 2013.

1. uberajnn

uberajnn SS.org Regular

How can you tell? It's from an iPod mic.

2. TheSpaceforthis

TheSpaceforthis SS.org Regular

anything new? anyone? im getting anxious

3. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

As much as I'd like to hear something new, I don't want to be disappointed. The new album will be out in 2 months anyways, which isn't that far away, and I'd rather it be more of a surprise to me than hearing too much of the material too early on.

4. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Pretty much one of those bands that wasn't big at all (in fact, plenty of people disliked them) when they were around, then their legend grew while they were broken up, and are now considered "influental" and such when they returned. Doesn't hurt that they returned during a time where its easier to access new music.

5. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Back when I was getting into metal (1999 or so) Focus was one of the albums that everyone would always recommend and would always show up on lists of greatest metal albums. I have no idea how far back that rep went, but they certainly had an incredibly devoted fanbase. I remember there were nearly professional level transcriptions for all their songs up on the net like as soon as powertab software was invented (way before the days of ultimate-guitar and even powertabs.net or any other big repository of good, non-text tabs).

One thing I'm happy about is that back then, you'd almost always hear people trying to plug Atheist at the same time as they'd plug Cynic. I never liked Atheist at all and never understood why they were constantly held up as the two paragons of early 90s metal or whatever. Over the years though Atheist sure has fallen down in stature and Cynic has only risen.

6. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

Atheist is just the more overtly harder/metal of the two

7. yingmin

yingmin Parker über alles

A friend of mine opened for Atheist when they were first touring behind Jupiter. He was talking to Kelly, who thought it was so funny when they first started hearing about their "legendary" status, because when they were originally active, people hated them.

8. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

I absolutely love both bands, but I don't know if I can agree with that statement. I think Cynic started getting a little meh with Carbon Based Anatomy but I still really enjoyed it anyways.

Atheist has also gotten really good in the last few years as well, but even their early stuff I enjoyed quite a bit. Seeing them live at Death To All a bit ago definitely turned me onto them much more though.

9. yingmin

yingmin Parker über alles

Regardless of how you feel about their respective musics, I think it's hard to disagree with the idea that Cynic is higher in status now than Atheist is. I rarely hear people talk about Atheist with the kind of adulation that you see people on this forum and beyond shower upon Cynic.

10. MFB

MFB Banned

On here maybe, but I don't hear anyone I know personally support either of the bands; hell, I don't think they know who they are

11. TheSpaceforthis

Cynic has a cult-status following since Focus or maybe even before that. When they broke up after the Portal Demo thing, they gained a "legendary band" status.

12. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

Well yeah, but both bands are still pretty niche. Yeah, Cynic is more well known and more well-liked, but there are tons of lesser known bands out there that I enjoy more. I'm not saying that Atheist is better than Cynic, I'm just saying that they are a pretty good band and their material sounds more interesting to me than the new tracks that Cynic have just premeired

13. TheSpaceforthis

StevenC likes this.
  14. ScottyB724

ScottyB724 SS.org Regular

15. Alimination

Alimination Space Adventurer

I just recently starting to listen to these guys (..yeah I know). But I really like what I hear.

Any albums worth recommending?

16. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

They've had the preorders up for weeks. They only let people know today, but the bronze vinyl has been sold out for weeks.

EDIT: ^All of them, but my favourite is Traced in Air. They only have 2 albums and 2 EPs, so probably listen to either of the 2 albums first, then Carbon Based Anatomy and depending on how much you liked TiA, Re-Traced.

17. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

Focus. It's probably the least accessible but once it clicks you'll understand.

18. ScottyB724

ScottyB724 SS.org Regular

Good to know, I'll have to snag mine soon.

19. DLG

DLG not guthrie govan

if you were getting into prog metal in the mid/late 90s, the holy triumvirate of "jazzy" tech/prog death that everyone recommended was cynic - focus, atheist - elements, pestilence - spheres.

that's why you always here people comparing these bands and mentioning them together.

20. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

I know that, I'm just saying which I prefer. I've been following all 3 bands for quite a long time.