Cymbal help

Discussion in 'Drums & Percussion' started by metallatem, Nov 25, 2014.

1. metallatem

metallatem SS.org Regular

Hey guys, my 16 year old son is a drummer and he cracks cymbals fairly frequently. I was wondering if there were any specific brands or types of crashes and splashes that are extra durable. I'm not too worried about sound quality, more just cymbals that will last as long as possible. Thanks.

Ocara-Jacob likes this.
  2. Mike

Mike The Traveler

Well for one tell him to stop hitting the cymbals so damn hard lol. Seriously though good technique will make cymbals last a lot longer. You can still be a very dynamic player while exercising a little restraint in the power department. Cymbals hits can really only be so loud before they seem to distort and just sound like total noise any way.

Sabian AAX series is extremely durable and they sound pretty good too. My old drummer went through 2 Zildjian A Custom crashes in the time it took him to wear out 1 AAX Xplosion crash.

Ocara-Jacob likes this.
  3. Riverrunsred

Riverrunsred SS.org Regular

Proper technique will save those cymbals in most cases.
    I play Paiste and have had great results.

Ocara-Jacob likes this.
  4. NcLean

NcLean SS.org Regular

Tilt them so that he's not shouldering the edge. That's what's killing them.

Thicker / Heavier cymbals will last a little longer, as will more even patterns.

Ocara-Jacob likes this.
  5. Duosphere

Duosphere (oYo) Lover

Once he has to make his own money to pay for those cymbals he'll stop cracking them, parents have to teach their kids the value of money.Ask him to wash your car or clean up the kitchen etc for some money, he'll buy his cymbals with that money and will learn how to deal with...........life ;)

Ocara-Jacob likes this.
  6. Nour Ayasso

Nour Ayasso SS.org Regular

I can't direct you much considering you haven't given us any information on what he's currently using. Specifically where they are breaking will explain why they're breaking. Of course, if your son is just bashing away at his cymbals, he's going to break any cymbal. Anyway, generally you want skinny sticks, medium sized cymbals, and proper technique. If anything make him invest some time into his technique. I'll recommend Zildjian ZBT's or Sabian B8's because they're cheap and decently durable. But it really depends on the thickness of each cymbals. Really thick cymbals will crack just as easy as thin ones. So I'd say you'll have the best luck looking for any used/cheap cymbals as long as they're medium thick and are well made. If you can bend the cymbal with ease, it's too thin. If you can't bend it at all, it's too thick. If you can slightly bend it, but it still feels quite stiff, that's the sweet spot for me.

Also, I saw someone recommend Sabian AAX, that's a major no for durability. They're great cymbals and all, but they can NOT take a hit. They're freaking expensive too so...

7. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Working on technique will fix almost any problem of breaking cymbals or sticks and denting heads. Hell, even positioning everything on the kit better will help. I played drums in a butt rock band for a while, and after nearly three years of playing, I finally broke my first stick playing a backlined kit at a show where the cymbals were angled super steep.

Have your son look up some tutorials online to help out with his technique. Some general tips would be to use your wrist a bit (not just sheer arm brutality) and make a subtle circular motion like you were cracking a whip as this will allow you to have a good follow-through on the hit without putting much strain directly into the bow of the cymbal. As others have said, chill out! Unless you use super heavy/thick cymbals, it doesn't take that much to get a good crash.

I've never broken a cymbal, but my brother and a few friends have gone through quite a few china cymbals and crashes from throwing technique out the window in favor of going hard at shows :lol: no particular model or brand will outlast another; it's all about how you play them. I've seen B8's outlast AAX and HHX cymbals, B8's that lasted 3 days, and AAX/HHX's that have lasted years longer.

8. Bretton

Bretton SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

Ocara-Jacob likes this.
  9. Nour Ayasso

^ correct is very incorrect word here. That "technique" is said to help prevent cymbals from breaking, which may be true, but it's a waste of time. If you're hitting something, it's going to break. The cymbal is either well crafted and very durable or it's a goner, no matter what technique and cation you use. Using slanted angles will make it more difficult play and most likely damage your wrist's overtime.

EDIT: lol at the neg rep.

Fat-Elf likes this.
  10. Ocara-Jacob

Ocara-Jacob SSO Recluse

You must be breaking cymbals non-stop, then, if technique doesn't matter.

11. Mike

Mike The Traveler

And OP was never heard from again lol

Ocara-Jacob likes this.
  12. Nour Ayasso

No to both of those statements. I didn't say technique doesn't matter. When I said "The cymbal is either well crafted and very durable or it's a goner, no matter what technique and cation you use" I meant it as in nothing will compensate for a weak cymbal. That's different from saying technique doesn't matter in general, because it does. I don't break cymbals very often, even though I utilize Ralph Hardimon's sig, because I use proper (to me) technique.
    Yeah noticed this :lol: Oh well, hopefully this is helpful to anyone who comes across it!

13. Ocara-Jacob

Ocara-Jacob SSO Recluse

Correct is most certainly the correct word there. I've used that technique forever and never broken a cymbal. Some of my cymbals are very thin, and I hit HARD. If you're hitting something, it is going to break, but if you're hitting something in a way that causes the least amount of structural damage, it will take much longer to break. The quality of craftsmanship on the cymbal is definitely important, but the technique used is equally important in the longevity of the cymbal.

14. metallatem

metallatem SS.org Regular

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. I have stressed to him to not smash the $#!+ out of them and he says he's not trying to, but who knows. I'm wondering if I should avoid used cymbals altogether or just look at newer ones. The idea of paying 200-300 per cymbal is not very appealing (especially if he wants to go to college some day). I've heard the AAXs and the Paiste Rude are pretty durable.

15. Ocara-Jacob

Ocara-Jacob SSO Recluse

No prob! If you don't want to spend too much, Paiste Alphas aren't too expensive, and mine have lasted me for 4 years so far. I don't use them much anymore, but I liked them when I used them.

16. Nour Ayasso

No problem, hope we helped. You shouldn't avoid used cymbals considering that will be your best option for getting good cymbals for a good price. Just be careful of course, look for wear and tear to see how long it's actually been used. Look for tiny cracks, dents and warpage as those can all lead to breakage. Like I said before the AAX is not durable...they're very thin and fragile. You can buy new cymbals that are cheap and durable such as Sabian B8's, Zildjian ZBT's or Meinl HCS. I've tried pleanty of cymbals from all those lines and they're all very durable.

EDIT: Thank you for the pointless negative rep!

17. RoRo56

RoRo56 SS.org Regular

The number one cause of broken cymbals is poor technique. Because no two cymbals are exactly the same, it's possible that you might just get a random crack or break at some point. The argument that thinner cymbals are more likely to break is invalid. Thinner cymbals are more malleable and have more give in them, whereas thicker cymbals are more brittle as they don't flex as much when struck.

I have played a number of different weighted cymbals over the past few years from Meinl, Zildian and Sabian (AAX, HHX, HH, MB10, MB20, Byzance and K Custom Hybrid) and have had no issues with any of the cymbals.

Ocara-Jacob likes this.