Cutting through the mix live

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by angryagain98, Apr 2, 2015.

1. angryagain98

angryagain98 Member

Heys,im looking for ways to help my guitar cut through the mix better live.im using an engl powerball which i hear has trouble doing so live.so any ways of cutting through the mix live? getting a big eq pedal? cranking the tone knob on my tube screamer? come on now,helps me out :hbang:

2. flaherz09

flaherz09 SS.org Regular

VFE Focus. It's a Mid Boost developed by Nolly Getgood of Periphery. That's definitely a good starting point.

3. angryagain98

angryagain98 Member

thanks,just by that im probably gonna get it haha more suggestions guys are very welcome!

4. angryagain98

angryagain98 Member

nah,it would cost me 240 euros to get it too me,not for now,maybe in a few years.pity

5. sevenstringj

sevenstringj Banned

Have you tried it live or at least in rehearsal? I find it hard to believe a 4-channel 100W amp by such an esteemed company can't cut through.

6. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

Middle knobs at 3PM, not 9AM. Roll off highs somewhere to compensate.

7. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

In general, more mids, less bass (compensate with depth/resonance), and using an overdrive as a clean boost in front of the amp will help greatly :yesway:

8. angryagain98

angryagain98 Member

ive been using it in my room only,at my band practice we use line 6 spider 3 100 watt heads as provided by the studio.ive been playing around with it and it sounds amazing,i have had it for about a year.ive found the mid is at like 9.5 of 10 and the treble is at like 7.5 .ive had the bass at 6.i find this sounds the best and most cutting without being harsh or abrasive,i use the ts9dx with it and it sounds amazing but i will say the amp has too much bass and not enough mids unless you change it,like if it was all set at 12 o'clock there would be too much bass and not enough mids.i get the best sound i ever heard when i change it though.its hard to explain.but yeah,ive just heard a few people have slight problems getting it to really cut through live.

9. MistaSnowman

MistaSnowman Play It LOUD!!!

Not trying to sound harsh but, why isn't the Engl used in the studio? In order to have your question to be answered fully, shouldn't you use the amp that you play live in your rehearsals in order to find out if the amp will cut or not? I agree with what sevenstringj said earlier, however if the Line6 is working better for you in your situation...maybe it's time to sell the Engl. It seems to me, though, that you might want to spend a little more time dialing in tones on the Engl than the Line6 IMHO.

10. angryagain98

angryagain98 Member

nah nah,i justuse the line 6 in rehersals because its there already and i dont want to burn through my tubes if i dont have to.the line 6 sounds like absolute piss!

11. Underworld

Underworld SS.org Regular

Use LESS gain, MORE mids. Try using other channels for your high-gain tones (channel 2 is less compressed)

Also, the ENGL powerball has a lot of trouble cutting thru live. Way too compressed, EQ knobs Qs are in the wrong places.

12. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metalâ„¢

First of all use your amp at practice or there is no point in practicing. Next tweak it.

13. Mprinsje

Mprinsje st. anger ain't bad!

How will you ever dial in a good sound with your band if you haven't at least tried it at practice? Your tubes won't burn out in a month if you play it a little more often :lol:

Take it to practice and turn up the mids because those powerballs are scooped to hell and back. It's also important to actually make an effort to sit around with your other band members to dial in a good sound that works with the band. A sound that you like while practicing alone or even recording may not (and often will not) work in a live situation.

14. mr coffee

mr coffee SS.org Regular

I've been running my 6505+ for...sheesh, idk, 8 years or so on the original set of tubes, practicing at home, rehearsals sometimes more than once a week, at one point playing out as much as three nights a week for extended periods.

Use your amp at rehearsal and try bumping your mids. I find that if I get a tone I like playing alone and it doesn't cut, I can bump my mids by 1, maybe 1.5 and it really helps to bring it out without noticeably altering my tone.

-m

15. 155

155 SS.org Regular

cant imagine not rehearsing with the amp im gonna use live makes no sense...

16. angryagain98

angryagain98 Member

yea I have been doing all those things,except using it at practise,ill do that now.Thanks for the responses people,still people complain its hard to cut through live,thats not my opinion opinion of many other people.

17. Mprinsje

That's correct, which is because the powerballs are scooped amps, and a lot of metal players like to scoop their mids which, on top of an already very scooped amp, results in absolutely killer tone in your bedroom which no one will ever hear in a live situation.

So bump those mids! and really, really sit down with the other people in your band to sculpt a sound that works. it's not gonna happen if you turn up with your powerball at a gig all of a sudden.

18. Mprinsje

Is it a powerball 1 or 2 btw?

19. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

IDK. I just popped over to YT and listened to a few vids of the PB... all playing metal of course.
    I don't here this uber scooped mid thing everyones talking about.

The third channel is a bit dark and compressed for my liking. CH 2 is better imo.
    But it has mids... weird mids... but mids none the less.

Not my flavor of high gain amp. And most certainly not the old thrash style super scoop I'm familiar with.

Seems like if a high gain amp doesn't do those particular modern (obnoxious) mids, people automatically associate them with scooped tones.

If it were my amp, I'd be rolling piles of tubes and most likely throwing an EQ in the loop.

20. jc986

jc986 Tone Enthusiast Contributor

I played an original Powerball (v1) for years and never had an issue cutting through at all.

Couple of key things with the Powerball:

1. Never engage the "Bottom" buttons for channel 3 & 4. That is the easiest way to get lost in the mix. It adds an unreasonable amount of bass into the signal at the expense of your mids.

2. I preferred Mid-Open. Mid-Focused seemed to be buried easier in the mix. I didn't like the frequency that was boosted / controlled by the mid knob in the focused mode. I would sometimes switch to Mid-Focused for solos, but never used it for rhythm playing. I also preferred the Lo-Lead because I thought the Hi-lead had too much gain and low-end for most applications.

My settings were:

Gain - 12 o'clock
    Bass - 12 o'clock
    Mid-open - 1 o'clock
    Treble - 2 o'clock
    Lo-Lead Vol: 11-12 o'clock
    Presence: 1 o'clock
    Depth Punch - 12-1 o'clock

Obviously depending on the cab you are using these would need to be tweaked to taste. I used my Diezel front-loaded 4x12 (which probably helped a lot cutting through as well).

If needed, an MXR 10-band EQ in the loop to add a bump to the mids would help also.

Also, part of being in a band is dialing in your sound to blend well with the rest of the band. If your other guitarist is burying you in the mix, then perhaps his volume / settings need to be tweaked as well. It shouldn't be a contest of who can be heard the most, because then everything just sounds horrible.