Cutest boys in metal

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by JohnIce, Feb 10, 2015.

1. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoil Enthusiast

The Cutest Boys in Metal 2015 | NOISEY

:lol:

As a fan of metal and gender equality, this post is just all kinds of awesome :yesway: Really should make you think twice about how women are actually treated in the metal scene.

Solodini, Sang-Drax, filipe and 6 others like this.
  2. wat

wat SS.org Regular

How ARE women treated in the metal scene? :scratch:

3. JohnIce

Pretty much exactly like the dudes in the article. That's the joke :)

4. Randy

Randy The Pusterience™ Super Moderator

They'd get the D.

5. Forrest_H

Forrest_H How can she slap?

I lost it at CARPATHIAN FOREST :lol:

6. kamello

kamello DESU METARU!

7. stevexc

stevexc SS.org Regular

This is hilarious. Much better than Revolver's annual "Let's support gender equality by objectifying women" bullshit.

8. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

I need to read the rest when I get back home, but it is indeed amusing so far. Replace all the references to male with female and it's every painful article ever written about women in metal.

9. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I get that it's a joke, but I can't disagree more with this whole premise. Everything has a "sexism problem" these days. Is the whole eye-for-an-eye approach really appropriate here? I feel like nobody ever looks at the bigger picture. Does Revolver do a sexy metal-chick article because metal music and culture demands that they do so? Or is it more likely that they do so because it's well known that sexy women sell magazines, regardless of the subject? Does that make magazines sexist? Why does nobody ever step back and say "hey, maybe there are people with less-than-equal views of the sexes who permeate every facet of out modern society", instead of immediately labeling anything involving a high male-to-female participation ratio, or individual manifestations of what's likely a deeper problem, as being immediately abhorrent.

An article that objectifies a few men would have been fine on it's own (and honestly, objectification in the right context doesn't have to be automatically evil)- but the subtext that paints metalheads as sexist jerks is ridiculous.

10. blaaargh

blaaargh Git Fuuuuuuuuuuucked

Male-Fronted Hardcore Band Proves That Guys Can Rock, Too |
    10 Shocking Photos of Hardcore Frontmen Without Makeup! |

The Hard Times did something like this a couple days ago. That was a funny article tho

Yes, that absolutely makes magazines sexist. And as for metal culture being made up of a bunch of sexist jerks, well... http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/ge...57938-awesome-female-guitarists-thread-3.html
    (Obviously not everyone who's into metal is like that, but when the default reaction of the majority of metal fans to a girl playing it is HURR SHOW US UR TITS it's not exactly the most welcoming subculture for women)

11. Mprinsje

Mprinsje st. anger ain't bad!

I was expecting all kinds of japanese bands. Alas...

12. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Yeah, where the hell is my androgynous Visual Kei?

1/10. Would not fap again.

In case implied sarcasm wasn't apparent enough, here's this... :lol:

13. JohnIce

People don't? :scratch: I see a lot of that going on. The thing is that you can't jump straight to complex problems without first understanding the small problems. Sexism for beginners, sort of.

I definitely didn't feel painted as a sexist jerk by this article :shrug: What I saw was how absurd things get if you do something as basic as reversing the genders in an article, and how sad that is. Guys being personally offended whenever someone points out sexism is a big hurdle for progress, and it's a completely unwarranted one. Seeing as you clearly care about finding solutions to these problems, I'd recommend you start by realizing you're not being personally attacked whenever someone highlights sexism within a group that you're part of (be it men, metal heads, whatever). :yesway:

14. Promit

Promit SS.org Regular

I'm all for equal opportunity objectification :D

15. S-O

S-O t(-.-t)

Is Jared Leto really that metal?

16. InfestedRabite

InfestedRabite SS.org Regular

this is part of the joke hope this helps

17. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Any time there's an argument against the method being used to highlight sexism, this is always the default response. I never said I was personally offended- but I think the approach being taken is wrong.

All the wit in the world isn't going to change the fact that we're not even bothering to look for the source of the problem, while eagerly pointing fingers at whoever is convenient.

You've missed the point as much as the article has. It's incorrect to say that this is proof that sexism is tied into metal. All this demonstrates is that some men are sexist, and some of the men that are sexist also enjoy guitar. That's not a difficult stretch. That same thread would still exist if this was a forum about country music, or cars, or whatever else.

18. JohnIce

Alright, you came across as offended is all. Anyhow I don't really get your argument (aside from the fact that you think the method is wrong). To me, it sounds like you're saying people should, for example, stop promoting recycling and look at the bigger environmental dangers instead. Instead of seeing it as one big issue that benefits from whatever little action each person takes to fight it.

19. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

I'm willing to bet that the irritation you're feeling is the same irritation I feel every time one of these articles pops up for real. Shit is infuriating, as is being fondled in a crowd.

Edit: It's sort of a "it's not nice when the rolls are reversed is it? Maybe you should stop" kind of thing. It has its place.

20. coreysMonster

coreysMonster Abrakadabro

When I heard "cute boys in metal" my mind immediately jumped to Joe Duplantier. If I could have that man's looks (and voice) for a day...

Not particularly a fan of the website, though. Lots of nutty articles on Vice.