Customer demand for 7 string Xiphos?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Vandante, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Vandante

Vandante SS.org Regular

Since Ibanez is making a foray back toward the xiphos with the Iron Label XPIR20E, does anyone think that Ibanez would possibly put out a XPD707 or baritone XPT707 (or even a prestige version of the old xiphos!) given enough customer demand? Ibanez has been really good about listening to the customers lately with the new finishes they're putting out and the fanned fret prototypes.

2. habicore_5150

habicore_5150 El Psy Congroove

Well they had a Xiphos 7 a few years back, haven't looked around the Bay or wherever to see how much they're going for XPT707FX - Ibanez Wiki

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

If enough people buy the current Xiphos, or a decent sized artist starts using it we'll probably see something.

4. 7stg

7stg SS.org Regular

I would buy a baritone in a premium or prestige version today, and if they do it with 27 frets all the better. I hope they do one with the M80M neck. There is always the Jackson Warrior...

5. Vandante

Vandante SS.org Regular

I know it exists as an LACS. There's a photo of it somewhere on this forum

6. Vandante

Vandante SS.org Regular

I know the XPT707FX exists. Look at the OP again. I was wondering about the possibility of a baritone version or something made in the vein of the RGD. IIRC the 707 is standard scale

7. Vandante

Vandante SS.org Regular

Now that I'm thinking about it, who would be behind a 7-string fanned fret xiphos? If Ibanez won't make it, who can I go to that will?

8. yingmin

yingmin Parker über alles

When I was first seriously getting into 7-strings, I seriously would have bought a 7-string Xiphos if it had a ZR bridge.

9. Vandante

Vandante SS.org Regular

You potentially can have one, if you can find a seven string xiphos, a 7 string ZR bridge, and if you're willing to do a bit of routing to make a frankenxiphos of sorts.

10. 7stg

7stg SS.org Regular

Yes please.

A lot of builders will not do exact one offs, but if you approach it by saying you want something along the lines of the Ibanez Xiphos, Jackson Warrior, and BC Rich Stealth it gives them something to work with and avoids copyright issues. If you are going custom, one thing to change is to shift the lower rest forward as it will make the guitar more comfortable to play seated.

11. 7JxN7

7JxN7 SS.org Regular

I would love a newer model Xiphos 7. I have one of the original XPT707FX with the smaller bevels, and it is such a well put together and designed guitar except for the slight balance issue. A slightly redesigned refreshed model would definitely have some of my credits in Ibanez's pocket

12. Vandante

Vandante SS.org Regular

The shape never really bothered me whenever I play sitting down (then again, I either cross my legs or play in the classical position). That's what I love about the xiphos body though. It's so comfortable to play sitting down and it almost begs to be played in the classical position! (It's times like these that I wish the ibanez custom shop was open to the public)

13. Vandante

Vandante SS.org Regular

I fixed mine by putting the strap button on the back of the body, close to the neck joint, but having something like that stock would be nice. Again, Ibanez should really open their custom shop to the public, or at least give us semi custom options. I don't know about anyone else but I'd be willing to pay for custom or semi-custom builds. Maybe SSO could band together and talk to ibanez about a limited run based on the xiphos?

14. HUGH JAYNUS

HUGH JAYNUS I’m a grown ass man

Im dying for one. Ill get one of those Iron Label 6s soon too. Always wanted one, but hated the old bridges they had. Loved the shape and that Chameleon finish

15. HUGH JAYNUS

Ive actually considered buying a 7 string Xiphos body on ebay. There are 3 currently, and just building one. But im terrified of the neck heel having a crap route job.

16. Vandante

Vandante SS.org Regular

I find it kind of odd that the Iron Label is a bolt on given the existence of the RGIT. Maybe Ibanez is just testing the waters for next year?

17. HUGH JAYNUS

Proably so. or could have something to do with the poor reception to the current Iron necks. Make a small batch with different necks, sell a few. ive only seen one of the Iron Label Xiphos online anyway. Its currently on eBay

18. 7stg

7stg SS.org Regular

I was talking about making the neck and scale length more comfortable. Moving the lower rest forward makes the neck seem shorter which makes the guitar more comfortable to play.

19. Vandante

Vandante SS.org Regular

The oh-so-awesome but ever so unwieldly XPT1400 is currently on ebay

RARE Ibanez XPT 1400 TW Double Neck guitar

Given that the 7 side has a baritone scale unlike the normal 707 is there a way to split the two guitars and attach a wing to each cut side?

20. Vandante

Vandante SS.org Regular

So basically compensating for the extra length?