Custom shop T-Style guitar

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by couchguitarplayer, May 24, 2020.

1. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Wirebird are nice, but I'm not sure how they can be the best in the myriad of options available :lol:.

OP, the point of a custom is nothing production will do. Your budget means you can get a very nice production model that meets the "metal tele" spec. Hell you can order warmoth and your choice of hardware and do it yourself.

steinmetzify likes this.
  2. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Is it just me, or are those Wirebird guitars all quite thin?

3. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Adding to my earlier post... here are a couple options that come to mind:

-Kiesel Solo
    -LTD TE-1000 evertune
    -Schecter PT Apocalypse
    -Schecter PT Hellraiser Hybrid
    -Schecter PT SLS Elite

couchguitarplayer likes this.
  4. Indigenous

Indigenous Indigenous

If used is an option, you could grab one of the Ibanez prestige FR models. What scale length do you want? Fender is making baritone conversion necks now if you want to mod a stock Tele or do a parts build.

5. AboutBlank

AboutBlank SS.org Regular

6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

7. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Are we really blanking on the Jim Root Tele? Easy metal Tele.

Seriously though $1500-2000 is not “one-off Custom” pricing. You’re roughly another $1500 ($1,000-2,000) off from any reputable custom shops. Things cost more now.

8. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

9. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

Either that (but better yet, wait for a slightly more recent one so that you get the nice heel and stainless steel frets), although even used TA is a bit over-budget, or as mentioned:
    • Kiesel Solo with tons of customization if you want to make it yours (OP had a "custom" idea after all)
    • The Schecter PT SLS - great guitar, and get it while they're still made in Korea, that's not gonna last forever

10. Spicypickles

No way I would take a Keisel over a TA, regardless of options. Perhaps waiting for a newer one, but that would push it even further out of budget range.

efiltsohg and Thaeon like this.
  11. dmlinger

dmlinger PepperFox

Lots of good advice here. I went with Warmoth before I started building.

You can get whatever neck profile, frets, radius, pickups, hardware...pretty much whatever you want in order to make it geared towards metal music.

Bedecki likes this.
  12. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

I mean- no matter what, you will get an amazing instrument (with some of the best pickups on the market albeit not very "metal") with a TA. There's almost no arguing that. With Kiesel, you may get an amazing instrument, but they may also end up randomly screwing up a couple of things here or there. So best to order something returnable so that worst case scenario, you can send it back or give it a couple of tries :lol:

Now you talk about budget though, and the TAs will typically list at about 4k$...that's another category altogether. Plus, unlike Kiesel, good luck getting one to your exact specs within 2 months. Both are clearly different with pros and cons.

Like most people, in a made up scenario of "price is no object, specs are no object, nothing matters..." I'd also take the TA, if only for the peace of mind and resale value. But in real life, some of those things do matter.
    It took me literally years to find a second-hand Cobra that had the specs I wanted (pic related), and it cost me more used than my latest loaded Kiesel- which was built to my specs in 7 weeks and is objectively not a worse instrument in any way. I'd argue the fretwork on the latter is actually slightly better (or I'll say at least, more to my taste) now that it's basically indistinguishable from Suhr (my personal gold standard). And I would not describe most TAs as "metal".

Cobjvju7vqich4gdluh6gvb.jpg

It's great to have options!
    And in that context, even the Schecter (the Korean one at least, the Indo ones are not necessarily as consistent) is a pretty good possibility for OP (metal-specced T-style). Only thing is just lack of "custom". In that context, the Kiesel has serious pros on both customizability and "metal" options (for instance good luck finding a Cobra specced with some "metal" favorites/cliches such as a Hipshot bridge and pickups well suited for really high gain).

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    Thaeon and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  13. DeanGordonGuitars

DeanGordonGuitars Luthier

I do have this lineup I just started, I know there may be some rules against this but since the thread is about modern teles and I was mentioned in here. My super T is specifically to be a high quality modern T style. EDIT : in a sub $2500 price range.

Attached Files:

14. Spicypickles

I specifically quoted a used model that was at 2k. And pickups can be easily swapped.

15. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

I'm sure you could build a sick Warmoth tele for your budget (1.5k-2k US), if you really want something custom for not too much money. They have a lot of choices for finishes/woods/routing etc.

Bedecki, Thaeon and couchguitarplayer like this.
  16. couchguitarplayer

couchguitarplayer SS.org Regular

I think Kiesel is the best option for a custom build in my price range. A H-H 24 stainless frets with hipshot brige and fishman fluence would be awesome.

Charvel is also a good option but I'm always think why spend 1000$ for a mexican made when I can spend 1500$ for a custom US made ....

17. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

ya i guess I would go with kiesel if that's your thinking. the charvel has pretty much the same specs that the 1500 kiesel would have though.

lot's of good options in this thread. but most of them are 22 frets so I would personally pass on most of them.

18. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

You've seen the thread about kiesel, right? The charvel will be a great guitar too, with far less BS potential (and better resale).

efiltsohg and Thaeon like this.
  19. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

That's a beautiful TA. Suhr is also my gold standard with any F branded shape. The Modern T is not a guitar to be ignoring, but generally out of the budget unless you can find a really good deal used. Same with a Cobra. I love TA as much as I do Suhr. For different reasons though. Suhr has a more vintage feel to me. TA feels and sounds more modern. OP: If you want top tier modern sound/feel, scour the internet for a deal on a used Cobra.

That's quite a looker.

Seconded.

20. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

Fair enough, but then what you're recommending to OP is a used guitar, where he cannot pick any custom spec, that's over budget, and that really has no "metal" characteristics. And to change the pickups on top of that. At this point it's so far from the initial ask that we might as well recommend a used RG :lol:

couchguitarplayer likes this.