Custom Replacement Necks

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by VikingAxe, May 27, 2014.

1. VikingAxe

VikingAxe Active Member

Does anyone have any recommendations for companies that do one off replacement/custom 7 string necks? Im looking for someone who can do a neck that would complement an RG style neck.

2. TheStig1214

TheStig1214 Mr. Tophat Jones

What do you mean compliment an RG neck? Unless you mean body?

Warmoth will make you a neck to whatever specs you need for the most part. The only thing is they do standard Fender 4 bolt patterns. If it's an RG body with Ibanez bolt patters, that may be problematic.

3. VikingAxe

VikingAxe Active Member

Im just going by the dimensions of my pre existing RG neck, all that really is important is the neck pocket. The neck pocket needs to be snug.

Im just looking for someone who could mill one to the dimensions I need if I gave them the specifics. So Warmoth is a good company? How about USA Custom?

4. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Warmoth and USA Customs aren't going to make you something to custom spec neck pocket. If what you want isn't on their website, they won't make it (unless there's been a dramatic change recently).

There's a guy on eBay selling replacement Ibanez 7-string necks to the older 65 mm neck pocket size. He might be your best bet. Otherwise, I believe SoulMate guitars is still a going concern, and he makes completely custom necks. I've never done business with him, I have no idea of the reliability, communication, etc.

Just realize that there use to be a lot of people offering Ibanez replacement necks and bodies, and many of them just ran off with customer money without delivering anything. Now it's much harder to find someone offering the parts, and I don't know how reliable they are.

5. OfArtAndArsenal

OfArtAndArsenal SS.org Regular

The guy from soulmate is really good with communication and pretty fair with price. I didn't end up getting the neck he quoted for me, so I can't verify quality, but good guy.

6. Surveyor 777

Surveyor 777 I measure things

I'm a bit confused - do you mean you want a replacement RG neck? If so have you thought about Perle Custom Guitars? They make all sorts of replacement RG & other Ibanez bodies and 6 & 7 strings Ibanez necks. Haven't bought from there yet but I've heard good things.

If you're talking about custom necks in general, then I don't have much to offer other than what I already said.

7. VikingAxe

VikingAxe Active Member

Let me rephrase this...didn't mean to confuse anyone

I am fabricating some bodies and necks with a CNC machine. I have my mock up body done, now I need to make a mock up neck. I am using an old RG neck as a "template", if you will, to get the neck pocket measurements. Im aware that I can use any type of neck pocket dimensions, this neck just so happens to be the only one I have on hand. My partner with the machine says its going to cost a lot to start experimenting with all the dimensions; he only has so much time, so we need to have the details on hand. So we are just trying to find a company that might have prefab necks already, ones that will match our neck pocket thus far (the dimensions of an RG7)

So yea, i've never had much experience with building necks...so this is where Im gonna have to learn. I saw one dude on here who bought neck blanks...so im sure there are places that I can buy them already roughed out.

Any suggestions?

8. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

As I said, there's a guy on eBay selling the older-style 65mm heel-width necks. That might be your best bet for finding prefab Ibanez AANJ-style 7-string necks.