Custom Ibanez RG7, I need help with planning specs etc.

Demanufacture

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm getting a custom Ibanez RG7 built by Memphis Guitar Spa and I need some help planning out everything, I'm pretty much getting a Dino Custom made.

RG body: alder vs mahogany
Reverse headstock maple neck: one piece vs scarf joint, which is better?
+ rosewood vs ebony
White binding around neck and headstock

I'm pretty much getting this guitar but gloss black.

new1.jpg

dinoHS.jpg

jbailes

Reaction score
If it's a choice between only alder and mahogany, I'd go mahogany. You may want to consider basswood if it's available. Nice in-between tonally between alder and mahogany. I'd also go with the ebony fretboard. Rosewood dries out easy and needs to be treated regularly with a conditioner.

Demanufacture

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If it's a choice between only alder and mahogany, I'd go mahogany. You may want to consider basswood if it's available. Nice in-between tonally between alder and mahogany. I'd also go with the ebony fretboard. Rosewood dries out easy and needs to be treated regularly with a conditioner.

I can choose any wood but I don't prefer basswood, it's either mahogany or alder for the body.

RoyceIsNotMyName

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I personally prefer having a one piece neck. I haven't really noticed a major difference between ebony and rosewood aside from ebony being just a tighter and smoother wood grain. But, I prefer rosewood because of it's natural oil absorbing sponginess. It's a kind of intrinsic thing really, and that's all. It's kinda like the more you play the guitar, the more it kinda feels like it's yours because the spots you play on most start to show.

Dabo Fett

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
some of the other builders on here might have better input, but i dont think you'll find much difference between 1 piece and scarf joint. Wood wise it might be cheaper for a smaller blank and do a scarf joint than finding a piece big enough that youll have enough wood for the angle of the headstock and the rest of the neck. and actually ive always heard that the glue for the joint is stronger than the wood around it...

other than that, mahogany body

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Mahogany + Ebony is always a winning combination on a 7-string in my experience.

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score
Mahogany + 1 piece + ebony gets my vote.

Ebony board looks so much better on a black guitar. Or imo, most guitars for that matter.

7JxN7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If it was me, I would be going with Mahogany body, Ebony board and a scarf joint.

Other factors you need to take into consideration here may also be the style of bridge and what pickup you are planning on using. Letting us know what you plan to do with these components could be a big help in this discussion

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
Since it's a tad older thread, I'll be interested in knowing how the OP went.