Custom cases?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by spudmunkey, Jun 9, 2020.

1. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Has anybody ever had a custom case built or fitted? Any success or horror stories with a particular supplier/service provider? Any advice on materials/design? Hva eyou received a custom guitar that came in a case that was custom-built for the guitar (and if so, do you know who made the case)?

When I've asked elsewhere, one of the most common answers was to get a pelican case, and then have the interior custom fitted...but I haven't found anybody local who could do that. I've only made a couple of calls, but got two "no" responses.

Yes, i know G&G can provide customized cases, but I'm looking for something above and beyond what they offer, in terms of customization and durability. I've only ever had two case failures, and they were both G&G.

Really looking for a rectangular case, and a perfectly-fitted cutout (not a once-size-fits-most).

I'm lookin at 2 cases: One for my newest semi-hollow guitar, and one for a guitar I plan to build myself, with my own design body shape, so it likely won't fit anything off-the-rack.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It's pretty easy to cut foam for Pelican inserts. There are tons of tutorials online. It's cheap and you don't really need any expensive tools.

Pelican used to offer custom foam inserts factory direct, I'm not sure if that's still a thing.

I love Pelican stuff so I'm sort of biased.

Droptune666 likes this.
  3. spudmunkey

I've had some really bad experiences with foams touching things for long-ish periods of time. Like...causing thousands of dollars in damage (not to guitars). So definitely looking for someone who can do a really good job with upholstering the interior.

4. MaxOfMetal

Any shops that do car interiors in your area? If you provide the case they can line it.

5. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

Calton make custom cases. Super expensive but I couldn’t think of a better case.

6. spudmunkey

Their cases don't have any storage compartments in them, which is important to me. I've reached out to them and while they do plan to try to offer rectangular cases at some point, it's not soon.

I saw another company at NAMM that made similar cases, including some in colored carbon fiber. Those were epic-looking, but suuuuuper expensive (like...$1k) and they didn't offer a rectangular case.

Of the two places i called, one was a custom upholstery furniture company that i've used at work, and one was an auto shop that supposedly specialized in car interiors for show cars. Both said they wouldn't help me. I didn't try to talk them into it after the first "no", since if they weren't at least curious about it, I just felt like I should hold off and see if i could find someone who is as least not against it.

Maybe I need to find a local custom coffin/casket maker. Ha!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  7. MaxOfMetal

I've been down the custom case rabbit hole and you're pretty much stuck trying to find someone to do the work unless you make a bunch of concessions or pay stupid money.

There's a reason everyone uses fairly generic rotomolded or plywood jobs. Even G&G doesn't offer a bunch of options unless you order in bulk.

Have you asked any tour case companies? They seem to be the most willing, but it's all pretty much foam lined jobs, which you're trying to avoid.

8. spudmunkey

No, I haven't contacted any tour case companies. I started thinking about a custom-built case, but then someone somewhere suggested getting some off-the-shelf case, and then ripping out the internals to replace it with new foam, fitted to the guitar.

Calton and Hoffee were two companies I had recommended in terms of high quality cases, but the Hoffee START at $1400 for their rectangular ones, as they are carbon fiber.

I do have the ability to make my own plywood case, but will likely end up with a Pelican or SKB style rectangular case, and gut it.

Of all of the cases i've owned, I liked the case from my my 90s Ibanez Prestige best. It was perfectly fitted, rectangular with a storage cubby. The latches were also steel, (not aluminum or brass) and it felt very sturdy with latches that couldn't just "pop" open easily...but what I liked best about it was how nicely and securely the guitar was held. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it had fuzzy Muppet pelt lining. I'd prefer to have it more like a quilted fabric or something.

About 12 years ago, I bought a Coffin case. I had heard good things, but I didn't realize that the Coffin cases you could buy online for $100-$200 were not the same cases as the well-built ones that I had seen elsewhere...the cheap Les Paul case I got was so bad, I returned it the day i received it. Not gonna lie, I still loved how it looked. Ha!

9. spudmunkey

They just replied to a comment on Instagram:
    Screenshot_20200612-190959_Instagram.jpg

benny likes this.
  10. spudmunkey

Another company I looked at was Hoffee. Their high-gloss clear (or color-tinted clear, which is super sexy) cases start at roughly the same price as the Calton fiberglass ($25 less, actually). I've never seen one in person, though.

Their cases are about 2lbs lighter, but perhaps not as insulated from temperature as Calton at that base price, but they do offer a 3M Thinsulate lining upgrade. While that does push it over the Calton price, the pendulum swings back again if you get backpack straps as Hoffee's are cheaper.

Another one I looked at was Crossrock. I took a look at these at NAMM 2020. It was at the end of the day after lights were being turned off, so I didnt get to really molest it much, but I loved how light it was. That said, it seemed ever-so-slightly more flexible than the Calton. So while they do claim that their seal is just as protective as Calton's, I could foresee the flexibleness being a bit troublesome with getting the two halves of the clamshell to nest perfectly every time.

But...damn, that dark blue and dark red carbon fiber is seeeeeexy.

That said, when I asked about a rectangular case, ghe rep said that much of the price of a carbon fiber case is the material cost, and since rectangular case is less efficient, it would cost more, and they didnt have plans to make a rectangular guitar case.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    benny and Given To Fly like this.
  11. Given To Fly

Given To Fly SS.org Regular

There are 2 case companies I would consider for a carbon fiber case:
    https://accordcase.com/hr/
    http://www.carbonfibercases.com/home.html (Hoffee)

Accord Cases are made in Croatia and Hoffee's are made in the U.S. The cases I have seen have all been really nice and I've never heard an owner express any regret. Hoffee might be the better choice simply because of proximity. If you lived in Europe, Accord would make more sense. :2c: :coffee:

12. spudmunkey

One note: I mis-remembered a few things, and updated my post to reflect reality.