Custom Agile 7/8 string??

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by ElectricEelChair, Jul 24, 2017.

1. ElectricEelChair

ElectricEelChair SS.org Regular

Looking at getting a custom agile 7 string, does anyone have one already? If so, please post pictures, I'd love to see!

Looks like ~$1600 gets you a fancy-pants sceptor with all the bells and whistles and crazy woods and even bare knuckle painkillers. It's appealing, but it doesn't actually show me a picture. Would love to see what you guys have done and your options. Even if it's not agile, post anyway!

2. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

May I ask what you are getting in terms of options? I'm a HUGE Agile fan. I have 4 Agiles. But even I am skeptical about paying $1600 for an Agile. I'm wondering if what you're specifying isn't doable with another brand.

BangandBreach likes this.
  3. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

There's no way in high heaven I'd pay $1600 for an Agile, even if Kurt built it himself. Price tag does not make a quality instrument, and that's case in point if I've ever seen it. $1600 will take you a long ways on the used market for high end production 7 strings, and I'd definitely suggest doing that over a custom Agile.

4. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

legator prove that to imo. Big bucks for literally no QC and you get a total potato arrive afterwards.
    Shame because from a distance they look lovely.

I have only owned 1 re-branded Agile and I actually really really liked it. I never had any QC issues with it and it was actually very affordable.
    I would feel far more confident ordering a higher end instrument from Agile than I would Legator etc.

5. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I paid ~ $1,000 USD for a custom agile. SS frets, etc. it's a fantastic guitar. I'll try to post some pics this evening as I'm out of town for work the rest of the week.

(What image hosting site should we be using now that imgur/photobucket are delusional?)

ElectricEelChair likes this.
  6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

mixtape.moe, flickr, tinypic ,postimg etc

ElectricEelChair likes this.
  7. ElectricEelChair

5 piece Neck thru, mahogany body, burl maple top, matching headstock, bare knuckle painkiller pickups, stainless steel frets, maple fretboard, natural satin finish, TOM string thru Bridge, 25.5" scale length...
    i honestly don't know what more I'd want. People spend 4k on les Paul's basically just because they're pretty, I figured 1600 on a custom made agile 7 string with the stuff I want would be a good deal. I got an 8 string from a while back and love it. I've never heard anything bad about agile until this post.

8. oracles

It's not that Agile are inherently bad, they aren't, it's that there's no QC process on any of their products before they ship, meaning that the consumer IS the QC check. They make fine instruments for people wanting to explore ERG and fan fret guitars without wanting to spend a fortune, but at $1600, that's just NOT a good buy. There's still no QC to speak of, and from what I remember (which may be incorrect) there's no returns on custom orders, which means if it's a poor quality build (and it does happen) you're either stuck with it, or have to dump more cash into it to fix it. Either way, it's a losing deal for you.

With $1600, there's much better options available on the high end production model used market. If you're married to those specs and want something custom, as much as I would never order from them, Kiesel is a much better option than Agile.

lewis and oneblackened like this.
  9. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

I've liked the Agiles that I've had.

Here's my take: the quality of a custom Agile will be the quality of a $400 Agile irrespective of how much the custom actually costs. Adding options does not, I believe, get you additional attention to detail, etc. Carvin/Kiesels are kinda the same way: the fancy options don't give you a "better" guitar: just a fancier one. (A $3000 Kiesel is just a $900 Kiesel with $2100 worth of extra paint and figured tops). Contrast that with buying something like a $1600 Japanese Ibanez, etc., where the extra money relative to cheaper models really does buy better fretwork and such.

That said, if you're happy with the quality of the Agiles you've had and the specs are worth the price to you, then it might make sense to you to make the order. But it's going to be very personal to you, so if you tried to sell it, resale will be terrible.

10. ElectricEelChair

Do you think it would be safer to buy a stock agile?

11. oracles

Absolutely yes.

ElectricEelChair and cardinal like this.
  12. TheGuitarPit

TheGuitarPit SS.org Regular

I've had a couple Agiles and liked them, but I'd never spend $1600 on one. Check out a used Ibanez prestige (should leave you enough budget to add BKPs, if you want), or hell... for $1600 you could order a Kiesel with a couple extra options.

13. pullingstraws

pullingstraws SS.org Regular

The mark up is because it's a custom one-off build, right? I've tossed around the idea of a custom Intrepid every now and again, but never committed because of the price. Is the QC really as spotty for one-offs?

14. oracles

It's the same, because there is still no QC. Regardless of normal orders or custom one offs, there is no QC.

15. revod

revod SS.org Regular

16. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Generally speaking, Agiles are not going to be made ITV perfect night height, perfect fret ends, completely level frets, etc. They’re just not going to play like a guitar where a lot of attention in spent on those things. That’s what we mean by the inherent value in them. So if you guy to GC and play a relatively low end guitar, and then also find a high end guitar (not Gibson or Fender, but like a Presige Ibby, a Thorn, Suhr, PRS) you’ll note that one plays better than the other. That’s the inherent value. Customizing it costs money, but won’t result in more time dedicated to fretwork, etc.

And I might be wrong, but the burl maple top is just a veneer, right? Not that it’s a bad thing, but I just want to make sure you’re comparing apples to apples.

And a stock Agile? All day long. Incredible guitars for the money.

17. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Yeah, I wanted (and still do even) a custom Agile but it just doesn't make sense to triple the cost when the stock models get so close to what I want if I just have the patience to wait for the selection to rotate on their website. Eventually I'll see something with maybe one or two options not included that I would want, but the price is considerably less than custom.
    So BASICALLY, custom = not worth it really, stock = worth it over and over and over again. I own 3 Agiles for all of my 7-strings now.