Current Main Floyd Pattern Trems

tekbow

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Seeing as it's a minor point of discussion on the American series Jackson thread, its maybe worth going over the main current production types for clarity.

The OFR:

UK price: £359, 1984 version: £500. (Andertons)

The Original German made by Schaller Floyd. The Sean Connery of Floyds. The Original but IMO, not necessarily the best.

Other Floyd Branded Trems (1000/1500)

UK price: £329 (Andertons, 1000 series. 1500 appears to be non retail at present)

The 1000 series, made in Korea and considered a "budget" Floyd, the 1500 series, made in Korea to Schaller made specs in terms of materials and design. Note that this doesn't mean that they're necessarily buying materials from the same suppliers as Schaller.

Here's where it gets interesting.

Gotoh 1996T and 1988T

UK price: £140 (axesRus)

Japanese made.Gotoh also make the Original Edge and made the EBMM branded trems on the EVH (1988T) and Axis (initially 1988T on the earliest, then the 1996T) up until 5-10 years ago when EBMM switched to a new unit more closely resembling the Floyd. Suhr also switced from OFR to Gotoh about 10 years back. Has since resumed offering Floyd alongside the 1996T.

My personal favourite.

The Schaller Lockmeister

UK price: £175 (DV247)
Effectively a non OFR branded OFR. May even have the specs of the 1984. Nuff said

ClownShoes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Also, the eponymous Schaller Tremolo. Were OEM for a lot of high-end guitars from the early 90s to 00s with the company name CNC'd into the baseplate.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There always seems to be some confusion over the Floyd Rose branded stuff.

The Special is the budget unit, replacing steel with zinc for the saddles.

Anything "1xxx", is going to be made to OFR spec, which is all steel construction for baseplate and saddles. Where the variation comes in is the hardware bits, with the 1500 substituting stainless steel. The "E" destination has to do with string spacing.

All variations on the Korean, Sung-Il made, units are available to OEMs with the "1000" being the only one available at retail.

From my own experience, I'd say the Korean made Floyd Rose branded units are just as good as their more expensive Schaller brandmates.

Schaller has had ups and downs as far as quality over the years, in the late 90's and early 00's they could be pretty rough. Which is when a lot of builders switched to Gotoh, or went with Takeuchi or Ping for cheaper stuff.

tekbow

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Also, the eponymous Schaller Tremolo. Were OEM for a lot of high-end guitars from the early 90s to 00s with the company name CNC'd into the baseplate.

Good shout, I'll add to the OP and modify the description because the Schaller Trem is the OFR equivalent and Lockmeister, their upgraded premium Unit.

From the pricing (can't find the UK price) it looks to be in line with the Gotoh.

tekbow

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There always seems to be some confusion over the Floyd Rose branded stuff.

The Special is the budget unit, replacing steel with zinc for the saddles.

Anything "1xxx", is going to be made to OFR spec, which is all steel construction for baseplate and saddles. Where the variation comes in is the hardware bits, with the 1500 substituting stainless steel. The "E" destination has to do with string spacing.

All variations on the Korean, Sung-Il made, units are available to OEMs with the "1000" being the only one available at retail.

From my own experience, I'd say the Korean made Floyd Rose branded units are just as good as their more expensive Schaller brandmates.

Schaller has had ups and downs as far as quality over the years, in the late 90's and early 00's they could be pretty rough. Which is when a lot of builders switched to Gotoh, or went with Takeuchi or Ping for cheaper stuff.
Great clarification.

What I'm mainly driving at is the cost/Quality Ratio

Are you saying though that the 1000 series uses, what, carbon steel or tool steel, as opposed to stainless?

I'll Add and update once confirmed👍

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Great clarification.

What I'm mainly driving at is the cost/Quality Ratio

I'll Add and update 👍

The best Floyd you can get, dollar for dollar, is either the Gotoh 1996T or one of the Korean 1000 series variants. At least in the US.

The "OFR" and other Schaller units are more expensive for next to zero return. Same with some of the odd ball stuff like the ABM Katana or the non-retail minded stuff like the Gotoh made Ibanez Edges.

The CSL stuff is well made and feature rich, and the Hantug standard and lower profile units are absolute tanks, but again, your paying a lot of money and not going to get a huge increase in practicality, minus some of the CSL add ons for very specific setups.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are you saying though that the 1000 series uses, what, carbon steel or tool steel, as opposed to stainless?

Of course they don't ever say exactly what steel they use, or zinc, or whatever. Every now and then you get a descriptor for the brass or steel hardware, but it's always somewhat opaque.

I don't believe any of the trems are actually made of stainless steel, they just sometimes use stainless steel hardware.

tekbow

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The best Floyd you can get, dollar for dollar, is either the Gotoh 1996T or one of the Korean 1000 series variants. At least in the US.

The "OFR" and other Schaller units are more expensive for next to zero return. Same with some of the odd ball stuff like the ABM Katana or the non-retail minded stuff like the Gotoh made Ibanez Edges.

The CSL stuff is well made and feature rich, and the Hantug standard and lower profile units are absolute tanks, but again, your paying a lot of money and not going to get a huge increase in practicality, minus some of the CSL add ons for very specific setups.
Can't Appear to edit the OP, so your posts can stand as update/correction

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't have to say anything bc Max has already dropped all the facts.

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score
Max said it all, essentially.

Maybe add other (approximate) currency conversions. The Pound Sterling is awfully specific for a non-euro specific forum.

jco5055

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Is there anything special about these compared to an OFR? I know it's a little more short/stout dimensions wise...I'm just wondering since for example Caparison uses them because of "advantages" over a Floyd, but I don't notice anything like that unless there's just a certain feel to them etc.

tekbow

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Is there anything special about these compared to an OFR? I know it's a little more short/stout dimensions wise...I'm just wondering since for example Caparison uses them because of "advantages" over a Floyd, but I don't notice anything like that unless there's just a certain feel to them etc.
The price (in the UK anyway, your region may vary). Quality is the same, made by same company as an OFR, like half the price.

Does Caparison use the Schaller Tremolo or Lockmeister?

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

little smaller, the one I played for a little bit felt smoother and seemed to be more smooth than a regular floyd but I'm not too sure if that applies to all

it was a 90s jackson branded one but it felt very good and held tune well

jco5055

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The price (in the UK anyway, your region may vary). Quality is the same, made by same company as an OFR, like half the price.

Does Caparison use the Schaller Tremolo or Lockmeister?

they only use the Lockmeister for the 7 string models since there's not a 7 Schaller trem...partly why I asked since one would assume they'd use the Lockmeister if it was purely a cost issue.

jl-austin

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My understanding is that the 1000 (1500) series is not available as an aftermarket item, it is only available as an OEM tremolo.

Personally, I have no problems with the special, and I love how "upgradable" it is. If I feel the need to upgrade it, the path is available to me. I just don't see the point of buying a tremolo for $300. Not for me at least. If I was a touring guy, then yeah, I would want the best.

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Of all the different types of locking tremolo guitars I’ve played over the years the Schallers have been my favorite.

I really want to try Gotoh, I’ve never been disappointed with any of their hardware and the 1996T seems like it’d be stable and comfortable