Current BC Rich Thread

neptoess

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Definitely floyd 1000 series, but i have a couple guitars with those and played many others with them and they really aren't performing any differently than the German ones. Hell, the few specials I've played worked just fine
I have an older mockingbird that came with a special, but a previous owner swapped a 1000 series onto. The first thing I noticed was that there was a good amount of play in the bar, no matter how much I tightened it up. Replaced the bar and coupler with a new OFR one and it’s perfect now. I also had some issues with it returning to zero, so I checked the knife edges. They look pretty seriously worn. The old chapstick trick has it working pretty well, but I have a feeling that, if I replaced the base plate with an OFR one, it would take me decades to get to this level of wear on it.

That’s the best part about the Floyd 1000 and Kahler Hybrid honestly. They both are dimensionally identical to the flagship model, so, if you have an issue with a part, you can reliably find replacement parts, and they’re the same ones you would use in the flagship, so you arguably get a small upgrade in the process.

trem licking

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have an older mockingbird that came with a special, but a previous owner swapped a 1000 series onto. The first thing I noticed was that there was a good amount of play in the bar, no matter how much I tightened it up. Replaced the bar and coupler with a new OFR one and it’s perfect now. I also had some issues with it returning to zero, so I checked the knife edges. They look pretty seriously worn. The old chapstick trick has it working pretty well, but I have a feeling that, if I replaced the base plate with an OFR one, it would take me decades to get to this level of wear on it.

That’s the best part about the Floyd 1000 and Kahler Hybrid honestly. They both are dimensionally identical to the flagship model, so, if you have an issue with a part, you can reliably find replacement parts, and they’re the same ones you would use in the flagship, so you arguably get a small upgrade in the process.
That's odd, the 2 1000s i have get A LOT of use with no lube/full tension action adjustments and have no sign of wear. Paint flaking off in that area is not wear, sometimes people mistake it that way. Return to zero issues can be solved by new posts sometimes too, I'd try that first

neptoess

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That's odd, the 2 1000s i have get A LOT of use with no lube/full tension action adjustments and have no sign of wear. Paint flaking off in that area is not wear, sometimes people mistake it that way. Return to zero issues can be solved by new posts sometimes too, I'd try that first
The guitar did come with a special, and the previous owner didn’t replace the lock nut (easy to tell, because the original was black, and the replacement was chrome). Now that I think of it, the posts are black too, so they’re probably the ones from the special.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Agreed. Barring the hate for the abalone overload , the facts remain. 5 piece neck , solid slab of mahogany, neck thru, OFR, pitch black ebony fretboard with binding and no inlay and fishmans. Ymmv.
MOSTLY no inlays. There is that one on the 3rd fret. And it's kind of a weird one.

Honestly, though, it's the abalone overload that keeps these from being the cat's meow, for me.

neptoess

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
MOSTLY no inlays. There is that one on the 3rd fret. And it's kind of a weird one.

Honestly, though, it's the abalone overload that keeps these from being the cat's meow, for me.
Yup. I like almost every Legacy series, and the more stripped down MII Prophecy line. Hopefully, once these production issues get figured out, these things sell like hotcakes, and cause the extreme series to get discontinued

zappafile123

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Whats the word on late 90s to early 2000s USA BC Rich guitars? I've found a NOS 7 string Mockingbird and am about to pull the trigger, but if anyone could provide an overview of what the quality of the guitars coming out of the CS at that time was, that would be super helpful!

neptoess

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Whats the word on late 90s to early 2000s USA BC Rich guitars? I've found a NOS 7 string Mockingbird and am about to pull the trigger, but if anyone could provide an overview of what the quality of the guitars coming out of the CS at that time was, that would be super helpful!
My understanding is that there was never a bad era for the custom shop.

zappatton2

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I saw some cryptic post on the FB site claiming BCR no longer ships to Europe? That can't be right, but if it is, it sure doesn't bode well.

manu80

Jackson for life !
Reaction score
the link leads to

We have looked everywhere but we unfortunately do not know this product.​

cardinal

F# Dive Bomber
Reaction score
I had a custom shop Warlock from 2000ish. It was a nice guitar but did seem to be "handmade," and there were odd quirks in the fit and finish and I had to run light gauge strings to get the relief where I wanted. I'd read that a few others had this problem with the truss rod but that was a long time ago.

But the fretwork was good and it sounded pretty awesome.

neptoess

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I had a custom shop Warlock from 2000ish. It was a nice guitar but did seem to be "handmade," and there were odd quirks in the fit and finish and I had to run light gauge strings to get the relief where I wanted. I'd read that a few others had this problem with the truss rod but that was a long time ago.

But the fretwork was good and it sounded pretty awesome.
Out of curiosity, was the neck crazy thin? I’ve never experienced weak necks on any of my guitars, but I’m always curious when I hear of someone whose neck can’t get straight (or even into a backbow) with the truss rod nut maxed out.

cardinal

F# Dive Bomber
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, was the neck crazy thin? I’ve never experienced weak necks on any of my guitars, but I’m always curious when I hear of someone whose neck can’t get straight (or even into a backbow) with the truss rod nut maxed out.
This was a long time ago. It seemed normal?

I do not know if it was a single action rod (I was pretty clueless at the time). If it was, a washer or two under the truss rod nut would have fixed it entirely.

neptoess

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This was a long time ago. It seemed normal?

I do not know if it was a single action rod (I was pretty clueless at the time). If it was, a washer or two under the truss rod nut would have fixed it entirely.
In this case (neck couldn't get straight enough), double action wouldn't really matter, as far as I understand it. Double action rods can push backbowed necks forward. If the neck is naturally straight or has positive relief, a double action rod doesn't act any different than a single action rod.

Washer under the nut is definitely a pro move though. Sucks that a custom shop guitar would need that, but I guess it probably shipped with light strings, so they never noticed.

cardinal

F# Dive Bomber
Reaction score
In this case (neck couldn't get straight enough), double action wouldn't really matter, as far as I understand it. Double action rods can push backbowed necks forward. If the neck is naturally straight or has positive relief, a double action rod doesn't act any different than a single action rod.

Washer under the nut is definitely a pro move though. Sucks that a custom shop guitar would need that, but I guess it probably shipped with light strings, so they never noticed.
It had some quirks. Like one of the inlays (abalone diamonds) seemed to be one piece of abalone jammed into a hole or gap in another piece, and the seam around it had raised edges and was visible. Like... you couldn't find one piece of abalone to fit a pretty small route for a diamond inlay? Apparently not?

And the end of the first fret was so sharp that I eventually developed a callous on my index finger for it, but until then it just cut me open. Which was pretty metal. But I was too dumb to just file it down some.

TornAnus

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I really wanna get my hands on a 7 string Stealth one of these days.

neptoess

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It had some quirks. Like one of the inlays (abalone diamonds) seemed to be one piece of abalone jammed into a hole or gap in another piece, and the seam around it had raised edges and was visible. Like... you couldn't find one piece of abalone to fit a pretty small route for a diamond inlay? Apparently not?

And the end of the first fret was so sharp that I eventually developed a callous on my index finger for it, but until then it just cut me open. Which was pretty metal. But I was too dumb to just file it down some.
Honestly, both of those things should absolutely not happen with a custom shop guitar. If I were the one who ordered it, I would demand it be fixed before I take delivery (also surprised the dealer didn't catch it).

Last edited: