Current BC Rich Thread

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
So, how's BC Rich these days? Do they still have people that were associated to BRJ? How's the quality?

Part of me has always wanted one, but always felt them a bit too whacky. Only recently have I been more forgiving of my weird tastes and have been eyeing some of these guitars a bit more (mainly the Stealth, Mockingbird, and Beast models.) There are some very nice looking examples on Reverb, with really nice cuts of wood on them, and for a lot cheaper than I would have ever imagined. Are they worth it?

Apologies for the very open ended question, but it's gonna take me a while to read through this thread and I don't have much patience. 😅

neptoess

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Go play some in person. Any of the post-ownership change (so 2019+) ones I’ve touched (mostly extreme series warlocks and mockingbirds) have been some of the nicest guitars I’ve ever played. And I own USA Fender, Gibson, and Martin, and have played $10k custom shop guitars.
So, how's BC Rich these days? Do they still have people that were associated to BRJ? How's the quality?

Part of me has always wanted one, but always felt them a bit too whacky. Only recently have I been more forgiving of my weird tastes and have been eyeing some of these guitars a bit more (mainly the Stealth, Mockingbird, and Beast models.) There are some very nice looking examples on Reverb, with really nice cuts of wood on them, and for a lot cheaper than I would have ever imagined. Are they worth it?

Apologies for the very open ended question, but it's gonna take me a while to read through this thread and I don't have much patience. 😅

Sslfetish

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The extremes are really nice after a proper set up. Prices can vary but these days.... Screenshot_20220808-125434_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20220808-125352_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20220808-125358_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20220808-125329_Gallery.jpg

TornAnus

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Does anyone know if they built ironbird cases during these last few years? I need a case but really cant find anything good.

neptoess

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Does anyone know if they built ironbird cases during these last few years? I need a case but really cant find anything good.
Mk2? Yes. They’re $300. Part number BCRB9100. There are third party options as well that cost less. If you need a case for a Mk1, I believe third party is your only option.

Marked Man

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I build. I know how much things cost. And BC Rich charging $800 for the import version and over $4k for the "USA" version is a load of horsesh*t. The ONLY difference between them are the pickups and trem. There's not a snowball's chance in hell that axe is worth $4k. It's just not. Yeah, I know CS models from all brands are pricey. In fact, I think prices have gotten outrageous for bare-bones models (take the latest LP Jr DC going for almost $5k for a mahogany slab). I saw the Reverb listing when it was posted and just laughed. And there's not even a "Made in USA" sticker anywhere on the guitar. And...NJ Series were never made in the US. :rolleyes:

Anyone who buys those is a fool.

But wait, NJs were made in USA (New Jersey).....right?

:donnie:

Marked Man

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
One thing though. Whether anyone buys that hunk of junk or not - both the show and the custom guitar have people talking about the brand again

BCR stepped up to the plate, then fainted.

:blahblah:

They did such a tremendous job with the Legacy series, I couldn't believe they failed to manage the business well enough to promote those (the CORE of the BCR name) and keep the supply going. Weird times globally with various crises (mostly manufactured), but companies that survive overcome somehow. These abalone abominations are not going to be the future for a premier guitar brand. They'll have to keep some that are classic levels of desirability. Otherwise, BCR is only a ghost...

I'd spend $2500 on a very nice MIJ Eagle Classic at this point. But they have to MAKE it first!!!

neptoess

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
BCR stepped up to the plate, then fainted.

:blahblah:

They did such a tremendous job with the Legacy series, I couldn't believe they failed to manage the business well enough to promote those (the CORE of the BCR name) and keep the supply going. Weird times globally with various crises (mostly manufactured), but companies that survive overcome somehow. These abalone abominations are not going to be the future for a premier guitar brand. They'll have to keep some that are classic levels of desirability. Otherwise, BCR is only a ghost...

I'd spend $2500 on a very nice MIJ Eagle Classic at this point. But they have to MAKE it first!!!
Some of the legacy models are easily available, like that mockingbird with the floyd. I think their big mistake was _starting_ with the abalone-encrusted abominations. I have a preorder on the $1900 MIK Mk1 Ironbird with the Kahler. If I like it enough, I might even kick off a custom shop order with them. But this thing was teased as coming out “Q1 22”, and I think I’ll be lucky to get it in 2022 period.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I've been wanting a Shredzilla 8 FR for a while now, but the initial run of them had questionable QC, from what I've read. Anyone know what the most recent situation for them is?

neptoess

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've been wanting a Shredzilla 8 FR for a while now, but the initial run of them had questionable QC, from what I've read. Anyone know what the most recent situation for them is?
I don’t know for sure, but I think a lot of those questionable QC guitars got sold as B-stock through MF/GC early on, and I haven’t seen anything new there recently. It could mean the issues have been fixed. It could mean other things too though. Since BC Rich is paying WMI to make these, it’s likely a better business move to reject and send back due to QC than buy and sell them at a discount. I’m just speculating though. I have no idea, honestly.

I would reach out to Damon at Red Blanket. The guy seems to always have the most up-to-date information, and he’s a pleasure to deal with. He also seems to have no issue going out of his way to make sure his customers are happy (see earlier in this thread where he talks about getting a custom flight case made for a customer buying a Stealth). So, even if the QC is dodgy, he’s more likely to let you know there’s something wrong with the guitar and see what you want to do, than just brush the issues off, ship the guitar, and hope you don’t return it. MF did that to me with a $3200 Martin (I got shipped a pretty scuffed up demo model from a GC), and they’ve lost all future instrument purchases from me because of it. To their credit, they did give me a full refund. But I’m not dealing with that again.

D-Nasty

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I needs me an Ironbird. 🤤

IRONMK1-FR80-BK-front-scaled-e1643857270359.jpg

Marked Man

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don’t know for sure, but I think a lot of those questionable QC guitars got sold as B-stock through MF/GC early on, and I haven’t seen anything new there recently. It could mean the issues have been fixed. It could mean other things too though. Since BC Rich is paying WMI to make these, it’s likely a better business move to reject and send back due to QC than buy and sell them at a discount. I’m just speculating though. I have no idea, honestly.

I would reach out to Damon at Red Blanket. The guy seems to always have the most up-to-date information, and he’s a pleasure to deal with. He also seems to have no issue going out of his way to make sure his customers are happy (see earlier in this thread where he talks about getting a custom flight case made for a customer buying a Stealth). So, even if the QC is dodgy, he’s more likely to let you know there’s something wrong with the guitar and see what you want to do, than just brush the issues off, ship the guitar, and hope you don’t return it. MF did that to me with a $3200 Martin (I got shipped a pretty scuffed up demo model from a GC), and they’ve lost all future instrument purchases from me because of it. To their credit, they did give me a full refund. But I’m not dealing with that again.

Damon is the best source that I know of in the U.S. for the recent BCRs. Highly recommended! :agreed:

trem licking

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That one i had briefly was SO awesome... Besides the unforgivable flaw. Everything else on the guitar was top notch, was sad i couldn't get another. If you snag one (more specifically the spalted one), check the floyd route where the studs are. There were at least 2 that were routed in the wrong spot. The red ones seemed to be fine. I'd recommend you to get one to check out, from a place with a good return policy of course. The neck and heel-less access was amazing on that thing

Marked Man

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That one i had briefly was SO awesome... Besides the unforgivable flaw. Everything else on the guitar was top notch, was sad i couldn't get another. If you snag one (more specifically the spalted one), check the floyd route where the studs are. There were at least 2 that were routed in the wrong spot. The red ones seemed to be fine. I'd recommend you to get one to check out, from a place with a good return policy of course. The neck and heel-less access was amazing on that thing

I have been totally impressed with the materials and craftmanship on my Legacy Bich with no reservations. They used top notch everything, and the DiMarzio D-Activators won me over right away. If they could put those in stores where people could try them out, they could sell as many as they could produce (if they could even produce a normal flow.....which they can't).

Sslfetish

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Agreed. Barring the hate for the abalone overload , the facts remain. 5 piece neck , solid slab of mahogany, neck thru, OFR, pitch black ebony fretboard with binding and no inlay and fishmans. Ymmv.

neptoess

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Agreed. Barring the hate for the abalone overload , the facts remain. 5 piece neck , solid slab of mahogany, neck thru, OFR, pitch black ebony fretboard with binding and no inlay and fishmans. Ymmv.
Are they actually OFRs? I assumed 1000 series. Unfortunately, unless you get a look at the “Made in Germany” on the bottom of the base plate (or absence of it), they’re visually identical, so it’s not very easy to verify.

Specs aside though, it’s just a good formula (Gibson-esque C neck, huge frets, neck thru body), that they seem to execute on very well. If you’re a fan of the general Gibson feel, but want it a little shreddier, you should definitely check out the current BCR stuff, if you see it on the wall.

trem licking

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Are they actually OFRs? I assumed 1000 series. Unfortunately, unless you get a look at the “Made in Germany” on the bottom of the base plate (or absence of it), they’re visually identical, so it’s not very easy to verify.

Specs aside though, it’s just a good formula (Gibson-esque C neck, huge frets, neck thru body), that they seem to execute on very well. If you’re a fan of the general Gibson feel, but want it a little shreddier, you should definitely check out the current BCR stuff, if you see it on the wall.
Definitely floyd 1000 series, but i have a couple guitars with those and played many others with them and they really aren't performing any differently than the German ones. Hell, the few specials I've played worked just fine