Current BC Rich Thread

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by electriceye, Jan 18, 2018.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire \[T]/

Yeah I've seen handful of the abalone/toilet burl gunslingers at guitar center but zero ironbirds or stealths.

JimF likes this.
  2. JimF

JimF Contributor

I've been looking into the Prophecy II Ironbirds and they're looking to be due in April. Perhaps that's when everything else lands too?

zappatton2 likes this.
  3. Thorh62

Thorh62 SS.org Regular

Anyone has a recent experience with the BC Rich Custom Shop?

I contacted them over the summer requesting a quote for a Custom Ignitor. My build was a very simple solid Black guitar with no special woods and a hardtail bridge. the only "luxury" option in my build was full body+neck+headstock binding and yet they quoted me $6050 for the build (not including shipping) and let me know that prices start at $5500 min. I was expecting something in the $4000 range and I was shocked when they told me the price.

Is it me or are these prices unreasonable? Where are all the $3500, $4000, $5000 priced Custom guitars like the Jacksons and ESPs of the world?

Do you know what's up with the custom shop and what is your opinion about these prices? How can other custom shops afford to offer $3500 guitars made in USA and BC Rich can't? Do you see them dropping the prices in the near future?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Niche products have niche prices.

It's a really small shop, with small output, so they can price for exclusivity.

5. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

When BC Rich custom was at 3500$, you could buy an Indonesian import for 500$, these days those Indo guitars are at 1000-1500$. This is the evolution of prices. I'm no expert on USA customs but other custom shops might save money elsewhere? Like doing the woodwork in Mexico or Korea for example. I don't see prices going down either, shit gets expensive everywhere

6. Thorh62

Thorh62 SS.org Regular

Prices seem to have inflated very quickly. It was in 2017 than custom shop prices ranged between mid $3000 and mid $4000.
    I think another reason that they are so expensive is that you can only order a guitar through a dealer, so they also need to take their cut of your money. On one hand a trustworthy dealer can be helpful in facilitating your order quickly and ensure a fair transaction, on the other hand, if you order directly from the factory like you used to be able to back in 2017, you got much cheaper prices.

7. MaxOfMetal

The biggest factor is scale. The higher the volume of work, the larger the shop, the more capable the shop, the more that you can flex the pricing downward.

The other builders listed, Jackson CS and ESP CS, have orders of magnitude more output on a much less niche product mix, and even then, like for like, the prices aren't outrageously lower.

zappatton2 likes this.
  8. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

Also, you think the BC Rich custom shop is expensive? Look at the current BC Rich guitar cases.. :nuts:
    I bought one of those coffin cases back in the day, it was one of the nicest cases I ever had, but I thought that was expensive at 250€.

9. ExplorerMike

ExplorerMike 60% of the time...it works every time.

Hadnt seen those case prices! They look the same as the case I bought for my V back around 2002ish and I paid maybe $160 for it, but it didn’t have the purple interior. Granted that’s 20 years ago. From the pics mine looks like it has the nicer/cooler round outer locks too rather than just the standard flip latch things. And mine is the marbled grey color too, but I remember having to wait like 3 months for it for them to switch off of black cases.

Edit: hard to believe I’ve had that guitar and case almost 20 years now.

10. zappatton2

zappatton2 SS.org Regular

I wish I held onto my BCRs, I think I paid $2500 for my Eagle and roughly $5000 for a custom ordered atchtop Beast back in the 00's. Unless I win the lottery I never play, looks like those days are behind me.

11. TheBolivianSniper

TheBolivianSniper SS.org Regular

has anyone seen the usa gunslingers on Insta yet?

12. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

I don't have a Instagram account but I did see this on the Official B.C. Rich Unlimited Facebook page. It does look pretty cool.

[​IMG]

JimF likes this.
  13. Thorh62

Thorh62 SS.org Regular

I was confused by this post. Do they mean they are not gonna finish the guitar? Just leave it natural?
    If they are gonna finish it, why bother to put hardware, strings and setup an incomplete guitar? Just to take a bunch of pics of it at this stage?

14. Bodes

Bodes SS.org Regular

Prototyping. It could be to see if the aesthetics and design choices work as intended. They might want to make small adjustments to things. Really hard to do once the guitar is finished in paint.

JimF likes this.
  15. MaxOfMetal

To check fitment before finishing. It's a heck of a lot easier to correct things before you start spraying.

16. Damon67

Damon67 SS.org Regular

We've had 2 come and go since I last posted about them. if you really want one, a deposit puts you in line. I don't expect to see any more for a few months though.

17. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just needs the HATE inlay. :D

ExplorerMike, nikt, MFB and 4 others like this.
  18. Damon67

Damon67 SS.org Regular

You're halfway correct. In 2017 there were just builders that paid a licensing fee. There was no corporation, no advertising, no nothing.... just a guy building a guitar. There are TWO more layers now, you forgot the new owners.

19. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I get Nuno vibes from this natural headstock. As an N4 owner I approve.

20. Damon67

Damon67 SS.org Regular

Funny... I just bought an N4 from the CEO of BC Rich... also funny... Dude that builds Nuno's guitars used to build BC Rich too.

JimF and Hollowway like this.