Current BC Rich Thread

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by electriceye, Jan 18, 2018.

1. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

2. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

3. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak Last of the famous international playboys

If SSs with radiation sickness are what's selling then why would BCR want to make anything else? The idea that today's SS sales will somehow be funding the future releases of other shapes and configurations simply doesn't make good business sense then.

sirbuh likes this.
  4. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

....because a brand shouldn't showcase it's ability to do several models in a variety of options to reach a broad range of players?

5. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak Last of the famous international playboys

Which BCR isn't doing.

JustinRhoads1980 likes this.
  6. BeyonThe7thSeal

BeyonThe7thSeal SS.org Regular

I just got this bad boy that I’m going to modify by putting in some new pickups and solder all new wiring for it and put some shielding tape in the body cavities. I was thinking of disabling and filling the first pot by the bridge and wiring it for just a volume knob. Then I was thinking of sanding it down and touting out the body to fit a Floyd Rose on it, change the pickups (not too sure which ones yet) and then sealing the wood and having a friend airbrush a graphic on it. My idea was the scene from Heavy Metal where the Loc nar is glowing and the young girl looks terrified. Just something over the top.

Attached Files:

zappatton2 likes this.
  7. electriceye

electriceye SS.org Regular

I’m guessing you might be too young to remember the 80s. The ST-III and Gunslingers were some of *the* most popular guitars made. I have one of each, still, with one being mine since it left the factory in LA in late 86.

The real problem is, as I think I said much earlier in this thread, is that BCR missed the boat on the SS resurgence over the past ten years. That let Charvel, Jackson and others eat their lunch. All BCR had to do was reissue those two models with IDENTICAL specs, colors and graphics, down to the much-loved Gunslinger neck profile, made in US and would have made a killing. Instead, they gave the market Korean SHIT., which seems to be the plan regardless.

I do agree those 4 models you mentioned are the core. Sadly, they haven’t even done those right for, at least, ten years. There were some flashes with the Czech-made series a few years back, but they couldn’t even get the 40th Anniversary US series right. Granted, that was previous ownership, but it seems the brand is cursed. The brand hasn’t been the same since Bernie died. Now, it’s simply a name.

Trainwreck likes this.
  8. TheBolivianSniper

TheBolivianSniper SS.org Regular

I just got a hold of a 2012 mockingbird st and it's amazing. Threw an X2N/Air norton set in it yesterday and it punches way above it's price point. I prefer it over a lot of Les Pauls I've played and it was a hell of a lot cheaper even with the pickup swap.

Way cheaper than the new Legacy stuff and probably plays just as well without the hit or miss QC. I was thinking of trading for a stealth a while back but this thread kinda convinced me not too, plus they're all hard tail.

If they want my business they can totally make a stealth 7 with a floyd again and I'd get it right away.

9. exo

exo SS.org Regular

A LOT of the stuff from the generation IMMEDIATELY before the previous relaunch of a few years ago (the one where they relaunched with the whole “Mk1/3/5/7” type of identifiers) is REALLY solid. Just unloaded my MockST from that era a few months back to make room for other gear, still own a Warlock Plus FR and procured one of the purple quilt top 7 string Jr V’s a few months ago that I STILL need to take some NGD pics for. All 3 of them compare very favorably to the 1000 series LTD stuff I’ve owned.....

Merrekof likes this.
  10. TheBolivianSniper

TheBolivianSniper SS.org Regular

I'd honestly love to snag one of those old 7s when they made a shit ton of them, I've always wanted a 7 string with a floyd or Kahler but there's never any around.

11. maliciousteve

maliciousteve Contributor

Sad thing is they released this and then stopped making them

[​IMG]

I had one and it was fantastic. I remember them being quite popular at the time and there was hope BC Rich was making a come back.

It seems they get so far then can't help but stumble over themselves.

12. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

Definetely agree, once in the upper price range I think there were some real gems in the BC Rich catalog back then. I owned a few and the were all great tbh.

This relaunch is totally not what I expected. In this day and age they really need more pointy 7 and 8 strings instead of more superstrats in a already saturated superstrat market.

13. maliciousteve

maliciousteve Contributor

Bc Rich asked on their FB page what people would like to see from them. I posted these two. These would be perfect for the 7 string market. An Ironbird 7 string, an 8 Eagle maybe?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

I'll never understand how people think the Ignitor looks great but will shit on other BCR shapes.

Anyways we'd probably see a 6 string version before we see a 7 or 8. Bigger 6 string market.

15. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

That's just how people are.. I really like the Ignitor (preferrably 7), the Beast bass (better in proportion as supposed to guitar), the Warlock, Mockingbird, Bich, Warbeast, Virgin but not the Virgo. I dislike the Widow and Dagger. These shapes are so extreme that will easily fall into the gorgeous/hideous categories instead of the moderate meh categories.
    When I started playing guitar in the early 2000's, BCR was by far the coolest brand out there with all these extreme shapes.

16. metaljohn

metaljohn SS's Only Dick Butt

Oh man. If they made a 7 string Ignitor with a fixed bridge and a 27 or 28 inch scale, I'd be all over that. I'd kill to have a Wave again, too.

17. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

Ow yeah, forgot about the Wave! IIRC, they were only available as Tripp Eisens sig back in the day.

18. metaljohn

metaljohn SS's Only Dick Butt

I actually had an 82/83 neckthru Japanese import one before they were branded as the NJ series. I sold it a few years ago after I bought an 85 USA Warlock neckthru. I wish I still had both.

19. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

20. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

^^^ Is it supposed to be splotchy like that? Regardless... that's sick-sexy right there. One please!