Current BC Rich Thread

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by electriceye, Jan 18, 2018.

1. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Yeah, compared to his PRS it just seems...cheap? I think it's the finish.

Oddly enough, that was a complaint common on the purple EGEN18s too.

XPT707FX and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  2. Randy

Randy The Pusterience™ Super Moderator

Yeah it's like an inch thick of wavy plastic.

USMarine75 and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  3. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

I would agree. The finish looks crazy rushed, combined with the opaque black burst edges...makes it look super cheap. The shape also has no character. More like a Mitchell than a BC Rich.

4. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 Jackson Elitist

Well I own 2 of the new ones and I am 2 for 2 with them having subpar QC.

USMarine75 and Carl Kolchak like this.
  5. MaxOfMetal

Did you ever wind up getting that stuff resolved? Last we spoke everything was kinda on hold.

6. JustinRhoads1980

I was compensated from both bcr and RBG in terms of that issue. Everything was handled accordingly. I am just keeping it honest with you guys that if you do buy one, do yourself the favor and comb it over.

7. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak Last of the famous international playboys

What was wrong with your guitars?

8. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

I'll take this over that Herman Li...

Someone needs to post a vid with something less than 256th notes so I can hear what the guitar sounds like.

9. Carl Kolchak

They don't seem like they have a decent enough grasp on the basics of the 7/8-string market yet. No excuse for that really. I mean, all they need do is look at what Schecter's been doing build-wise on their production stuff over the last couple of years to know what working/selling and what isn't.

10. JustinRhoads1980

I will break down for each guitar:

6 String: 2 gouges in the fretboard alongside the purfling. (most likely the machine caught onto the wood and ripped it out). Some slight tool markings on the fretboard, the inlays' black filler surrounding them has missing spots in some areas. It is not just 1-2 areas, there are more than that. Additionally on the back the hole for the grounding wire to the clamp for some reason there is 2 holes (hehe sex joke), but I thought that was kinda like wtf and highly questionable.

7 String: The bridge volume and neck volume locations are switched on this one, there is a missing chunk of the abalone in the purfling, some tool cuts into the fretboard, more of the inlays black filler having missing spots (much worse on the 7 string), more tool markings.

upload_2020-6-12_20-24-6.png

Here is the picture of that missing abalone. Look real close and you will see. Seems to be that BCR's QC is lacking. I have 2 schecters that are made in the same factory and neither of them have any fretboard issues like the ones prevalent on these BCRs. My schecters are 100% clean.

Honestly for a company touting that they are making the highest precision guitars and of top tier quality and specs, but yet delivering this is highly questionable. For a guitar that is around $400~ more than a lot of Schecter's high end shit, something that lacks in a lot of features that the cheaper schecters have, these have worse QC and you pay more.

I feel like this is karma for my diverting from buying from Schecter. I have not once had any of these kind of issues with a guitar. Especially for this price point is unacceptable. If I decide to sell these I will be getting fucked harshly. The only issues that I have had with Schecter are slight finish issues that are typically very minor.

I will never buy one of the new BCRs again. I am 2 for 2 for having guitars that are quite honestly the highest amount I have paid for a guitar and have subpar quality. Some of the Indonesian Jacksons I have played don't even fuck up with the fretboards, just mainly finish defects and the sort. Honestly these guitars do play great and I do like the pickups, but at the end of the day I cannot lie about my experience as I feel it is my duty to give a fair warning to the consumer market to just be precautious about them and make sure to really comb them over thoroughly once you receive them and to also buy from a place that has a liberal return policy.

It really disappoints me as I put in the investment into a brand and relaunch that most people weren't invested into and in a way I did kinda get fucked. If I ever sell these guitar I will probably have to list them and most likely sell them at sub $1000 due to these issues.

As much as I love BCR and was initially in support of this relaunch, I myself will not be returning customer.

Rosal76 and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  11. Carl Kolchak

Why didn't you just return them then for a full refund?

Ataraxia2320 likes this.
  12. JustinRhoads1980

I was heavily compensated for it man. Basically got the 7 string for almost free.

13. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

You’re bitching that a you’d have to sell a guitar you got for free for under $1k? I dunno man, it seems like you’d still be coming out ahead and more than compensated for those cosmetic issues. Doesn’t mean you weren’t disappointed in the guitars, but sure seems like they tried to take care of you.

XPT707FX, Viginez and Carl Kolchak like this.
  14. MaxOfMetal

The moral of the story is the next guy might not get taken care of as well.

15. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

Yeah, it doesn’t exactly inspire confidence. But I also wouldn’t be complaining about having to sell a guitar for under $1k that I got for free after they took care of me like that.

16. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

They took care of me well when i had my issue too. As long as they keep doing that, they'll be just fine. Still considering buying another, either a new model that will eventually be released or that red schec'dzilla

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  17. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, it's good they made things right, but speaking from experience, it's a huge hassle and a pain in the ass to get a guitar that isn't right, and then have to work with the company/store to rectify the situation. It sucks to see something wrong, then wonder what else could be wrong that you cannot see, and disassemble it, try to decide if you need to return it, or accept a discount. Then, if you return it you need to take time to drive to UPS, etc. I think it's great that BCR are taking care of customers, but I'd still complain if I got a subpar instrument that should have been flagged by QC. (I went through this with a non-BCR guitar recently, and it was a huge pain in the ass. And I was thisclose to buying the 'zilla8 until @trem licking got his and found some issues. Now I (we) are waiting for some changes to the production line before we jump on another one. I want a Floyd 8 so bad I can taste it, but I really just want a guitar that works right out of the box.)

18. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

I have had build quality issues up the arse the last few guitars i have gotten. specifically, all the 8 string floyded guitars i've received lol. its actually hilarious (actually mega frustrating), as you know these guitars are fucking rare and most of them i get have deal breaking issues. it's such a relief to have great customer service, even though it is definitely inconvenient to return the guitar and (in my case) not have another to swap out. first world problems i guess. im still trying though!

19. CrushingAnvil

CrushingAnvil Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land

It does. That fingerboard looks like shit. Looks like it was made in Korea.

They either gave him good money or looks are deceiving.

20. asopala

asopala SS.org Regular

At the very least I wouldn't be surprised if he got it at a discount. He's buds with Zoltan, or at least knows him well enough to track guitar solos on his yacht. That's an interesting video.

Seabeast2000 likes this.