Current BC Rich Thread

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by electriceye, Jan 18, 2018.

1. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

I wouldnt hold my breath. They seem pretty adamant that every guitat they build, even their import lines, are all going to be neck-through, and they dont be chasing the lower budget market.

Solodini likes this.
  2. Randy

Randy Full on Friendship!™ Super Moderator

Oh I know, I caught that. And they're not going to do very well with that, so I'm sure they'll relent in a year or two. A neck-thru high end version of this would also be awesome, I'm just still in the "I'm not paying $1800 for something from South Korea" contingent because unless it's my dream guitar that I'm keeping forever, I'm always mindful of resale and those kinds of things sink like a rock. I don't mean that as a knock, just the reason why I haven't bit on anything yet.

As far as having to be neck-thru etc to be "high end", my Ironbird Limited was one of the best playing, sounding and best fit and finish guitars I've owned at any price point. And that wasn't a bronze or platinum series guitar, I'd say it was maybe in the NJ series range but oddball specs? Bolt on, solid finish and a Rockfield pickup but OFR with that huge inlay, and the two tone paint job with the white pearl flake. I thought that was a nice balance of affordable but not a cheap guitar.

I think BCR could do something like that again without necessarily abandoning the "quality" push that they're after. To some degree they already implied THAT sort of spec was in the cards, as the non-abalone line in the second phase. So it's not a total departure from their plan.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    AxeHappy and Jonathan20022 like this.
  3. Damon67

Damon67 SS.org Regular

They've drawn a line in the sand. Maybe they change it in the future, but for now you absolutely WILL NOT see Floyd Specials or $8 Chinese pickups. The no bolt-on thing may be a bit extreme, but it's the line they drew.

For many years now, entities that have owned the brand went to the other extreme. Absolute garbage with strings. It's going to take some extreme measures to reverse the 'cheap' perceptions people have of the brand. Maybe it's fitting one of the new lines is called 'Extreme'.

B.C. Rich started as a custom shop building quality NECKTHRU guitars. They want to get back to their roots.

4. Damon67

Damon67 SS.org Regular

Seems there's a theme, let's roll with it...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

That's quite sexy, but I think it would look nicer with the neck back painted white as well. Also, for $1600-$1700 guitars it would be nice if they installed quick access battery compartments.

Rev.

pastanator likes this.
  6. Opion

Opion Sir Mattafer

I actually do not dislike that at all

Solodini likes this.
  7. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

Would look even better w/o that abalone along the board but that's pretty tasty otherwise.

vilk likes this.
  8. pastanator

pastanator electronic musician

Hmmm

Attached Files:

Adieu, Merrekof, Randy and 1 other person like this.
  9. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

I applaud their enthusiasm for throwing a bunch of stuff out there, but are the ones they're actually making now selling? I actually feel kinda bad that I haven't bought the 8-string Floyd thing, but I just have so many others at this point.

trem licking likes this.
  10. spudmunkey

11. spudmunkey

I really hope they list the specs as "24.666 frets".

Tuned, Solodini, PhantomLord and 6 others like this.
  12. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

dont worry i bought one and it seems as though hollowway is right behind me haha. they will have at least sold 2... they probably only made 5 har har

Hollowway, cardinal and Merrekof like this.
  13. trem licking

i have zero interest in multiscale guitars and i think they usually look funny, but i think they even nailed that ^ good work that looks amazing

Merrekof likes this.
  14. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Only thing that irks me is how the higher frets seem to be just... pasted onto a straight-fret guitar. :lol:

iamaom and Hollowway like this.
  15. spudmunkey

What bugs me is how they are using the entirely logical pickup placement method of angling them to where they should be on the scale, which means different from each other...which to my eye always looks messy. Again, I get it...it's the most logical, and likely the most 'correct' way...but it just looks bonkers to me, when they are at different angles. :lol:

edit: But wait...they actually aren't. It's not like the neck pickup matches the higher fret and the bridge pickup is nearly the bridge angle...it look slike the neck pickup is still straight, and the bridge pickup is just...slightly off. OK, I oficially don't get it.

16. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

thats because they arent using multiscale pickups, they are using regular scale ones. So they can only angle the pickup so much before the polepieces go out of wack. They could have used 7 string fishmans (or active pups for that matter, or 7 string pups with bar magnets) so they could angled them properly without having to design a proper multiscale pup

good on them on not having a triangle of shame at the headstock, but now they have the square fretboard at the bottom which is equally bad or worse

17. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Yea, I actually like the abalone (looks awesome on the ironbird), but you can't do abalone on multifret, box in the entire board, and have frets popping through the bottom of the frame. Looks super messy.

18. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

IDK, I like both of those, from an aesthetic standpoint. I'd like to see the spec's, though before I say more than that.

19. trem licking

^thats by far the most tolerable looking multiscale ive ever seen (shrug)

Adieu likes this.
  20. spudmunkey

I assume because it doesn't really look totally multiscale, since the pckups are mostly straight, and the upper end of the fretboard is still straight, and the "crooked" bridge isn't installed yet so it doesn't have a chance to look 'wrong'?

trem licking likes this.