Current BC Rich Thread

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by electriceye, Jan 18, 2018.

1. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 Jackson Elitist

And i would add there is outrage from the ironbird mob aswell.

Viginez, Hollowway and XPT707FX like this.
  2. Randy

Randy Full on Friendship!™ Super Moderator

No idea what they're mad about. First there was no Ironbird, then there was a one off but it was the new design. Then they posted a short run that's the old design, but nobody likes the headstock. Also it's still just a short run. But wait, BCR Instagram announces full launch of Ironbird line. But it's not on the website.

Does nothing satisfy you?

Solodini likes this.
  3. JustinRhoads1980

I mean, I am satisfied! New brand coming into play for me in terms of purchasing power. If they come out with an ironbird cool. If they don't oh well. I like my S style guitars (I know I am such a boomer) so the shredzillas and such look very interesting to me. Never played an extreme shape in my life so I don't really know how an ironbird would fit me.

I have switched to playing in the classical position, but I dunno

4. kisielk

kisielk SS.org Regular

I've got the 6-string version of the DActivator-X in an Ibanez... it's an incredibly hot pickup. Sounds pretty good for what it does, but it's got a really compressed feel and isn't exactly versatile. I definitely prefer the Fishman pickups.

5. MrWulf

MrWulf SS.org Regular

It wouldn't be sevenstring without the whining and entitlement that a multi million dollar company needs to kowtow to a bunch of posters that wont be able to buy what they "want" anytime soon.

AxeHappy, XPT707FX, watson503 and 2 others like this.
  6. Randy

Randy Full on Friendship!™ Super Moderator

For the record I meant the Ironbird mob, not you.

7. JustinRhoads1980

Well yeah. Im just sprinklin my own thoughts.

Although you must agree that the headstock on the limited run from chondro is atrocious. Plus the ironbird crowd hasnt had a proper ib in like what a decade? Maybe more? They are passionate about them

8. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

I bought a new 2018 model MIK guitar for $700 CAD (just over $500 US), 1500 is definitely insane price

there are plenty of USA guitars for less than that

Hollowway and JustinRhoads1980 like this.
  9. mitou

mitou SS.org Regular

I don't know why the site lists the bridge pickup as being the D-Activator X when it's clearly not, at least not in the pics. Doesn't have the dual blade construction. The pickup they're using is probably just the regular D-Activator, which is one of the better DiMarzios.

10. CapinCripes

CapinCripes Trem Snob

I have zero problem with the ironbird headstock as my favorite bc rich headstock is this one that is only slightly different. My problem is that im not in the market for MIK guitars. But for people like me they have the custom shop so that's really not a mark against the re-launch. The narrow nut widths and slightly flatter radius on all models than vintage bc rich is a bit strange, and I would like to see a 1 11/16 nut, but I can understand going with market trends. Schecter after all is one of the brands to emulate and they have extremely (by my standards) narrow nuts with 41.3mm r2 nuts being standard (my preference isthe ~ 43mm r3). Honestly besides the weird icky-ness of them being owned by FFDP the only real complaint for the average person looking for a MIK mid range guitar is the amount of abalone.

11. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Speaking from the Floyd 8 crew, we’re just happy someone noticed us. A short-ish scale length $1000 Korean guitar with $700 worth of abalone is worth stomaching just to have a (third) Floyd 8 option. I know I can get nearly the same thing in the Schecter Hellraiser, but I like the look of the BCR abalone atrocity over the Schecter abalone atrocity.

12. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

For some reason, that makes my neck hurt. Looks like someone with a neck kink that it pulling their head to one side and causing immense pain.

Adieu and Solodini like this.
  13. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

I don't think I've ever read a better description of why some angled headstock designs just plain don't work.

Solodini likes this.
  14. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

There will always be exceptions, a lot will depend on how much margin a brand is willing to toss out to make a sale.

What's going to push the 2020 year instruments so much higher is the consolidation going on with OEMs.

15. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

i really dont get the price for MIK guitar. Japanese maybe but Korean for 1500 euros/ dollars? like the recent schecters or more expensive Strandberg? no thanks. Korea has upped their game, for sure but they're still far from japanese level yet.

16. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

Hard disagree -- the WMI South Korea guitars I've played in the last two years have been on par with ESP E-II or Ibanez Prestige stuff, and better than MIJ-era Jackson Pros, in terms of build quality. The quality has outpaced the cachet greatly, which is going to be a problem in terms of actually selling instruments, but but in terms of just "price/quality", $1500 for a SK guitar with high-end specs seems roughly on point. 1500 Euros would be a bit out of line, but that's a lot more than $1500.

(As global industrialization continues to improve, life is going to get really rough for kids buying their first guitar. It'll be great for most of us on this forum -- we'll have a wider selection than ever of really nice stuff -- but selection at the entry level is going to quickly become "First Act and other Wal-Mart specials". It's enough to make one nostalgic for the days when Ibby Gios were Indonesian...)

17. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

If that were ever the case, kids buying their first guitars could just turn to the massive and then-devalued used guitar market. If anything, I feel the opposite: higher quality guitars available at lower prices than ever before. The $500-1k market gives you a lot these days.

Vyn, Solodini and Mathemagician like this.
  18. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

$500 is over twice what I spent on my first guitar as a poor college student :lol:

The used market is a good point, but then you need someone who knows guitars to help you avoid the stuff that's been treated badly or is otherwise on its last legs (a first-time buyer isn't likely going to know how to recognize fretwear, for instance).

Solodini likes this.
  19. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

The only difference between the two, Japan and South Korea, is the amount the brand wants to pay for a higher reject/rework rate.

The big SK guitar factories have been at it long enough that there is nothing in their process that would impede quality.

Solodini and StevenC like this.
  20. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Just a reminder that SK isn't some third world country or on a level of China/Indo when it comes to pay wages.