Crystal lake guitar tone

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Djent Kiwi, Aug 1, 2020 at 6:31 AM.

1. Djent Kiwi

Djent Kiwi SS.org Regular

Hey everyone,
    So possibly my favorite heavy guitar tone is the tone in the album "Helix" by crystal lake, especially in songs like "lost in forever" and "Apollo". I know that they're in a low tuning (drop f I think?), but apart from that, how can I achieve that tone?

To make it more specific I mean the very thicc, juicy palm mute that have no muddiness and then the single string gallop riffage that is incredibly tight but at the same time doesn't sound thin.

Do you have any possible rig suggestions? I'm about to upgrade from my crappy Marshall practice amp but don't know what to look into. Physical gear is preferred but not the only option. Also budget, as long as the rig isn't ridiculously expensive, is not an issue.

2. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

I know you mentioned "physical gear is preferred" but if on a budget, I think modelers are your best bet. Find out what gear Yudai Myamoto uses and try to emulate it.

3. Djent Kiwi

The thing is I've searched everything related to yudai mayamoto crystal lake gear equipment amps etc and haven't found anything (well not everywhere, haven't gone on the dark web yet)
    And the fact that there's a footballer with the same name makes it even worse

4. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

This is his guitar rig
    https://www.evertune.com/testimonia...ke/_img/crystal_lake__profile__yudai__h05.jpg

direct link to post if that doesn't work

Edit: better post about it - https://www.evertune.com/testimonials/featured_artist.php

So the fact you say "very thicc, juicy palm mute that have no muddiness and then the single string gallop riffage that is incredibly tight but at the same time doesn't sound thin." means you should "just get a 5150" and put a boost pedal on it for your juicy palm mutes.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 11:04 AM
    Gmork and Djent Kiwi like this.
  5. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

That evertune feature suggests he's using EMG pickups with the 18V mod as well. So the chunkiness in the palm mutes might be the EMG chunk. Might have a boost pedal on top of that as well.

6. Djent Kiwi

7. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Chunkiness in palm mutes is usually due to the bass guitar and kick drum, FYI.

Gmork, TheWarAgainstTime and Necky379 like this.
  8. Djent Kiwi

For sure is, but doesn't a lot of it come from the guitar tone? Btw if it's not clear I want the juicy palm mutes that happen when your right hand is very close to the bridge, not the choked chug 'ola' type of palm mute that you get when placing the r hand a bit further from the bridge.

9. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Find some isolated tracks on the ole YT and you may be surprised.

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.
  10. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

The Peavey amp on top in that picture is for the bass player, but I'm not sure of the exact model. The bottom one is a 6505 and is probably just used as a backup rig. The Axe FX is feeding the silver Fryette power amp below it, which then feeds the Peavey cabinets for their stage sound.

I don't remember seeing any microphones on their guitar cabs either time I've seen them live, so I would imagine the front of house is just getting a direct signal from the Axe FX.