Crowbar at MDF (Kicking a fan in the head)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by MUTANTOID, May 23, 2014.

1. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I'm with neither on this one. Both parties were wrong in this.

Even though stage diving is kind of a tradition in rock and metal music, having musicians themselves starting it and encouraging it some decades ago, it still doesn't make it a smart, wise and safe choice. I think every concert goer is mature enough to understand the risks of the actual action and if not and he's unlucky then I don't think anyone else is to blame. Add to that the incidents with Dimebag and Blythe as people have mention and the fact that barricades and security means the venue and musicians don't want you to do it, so DON'T do it.

Kirk on the other hand over reacted and was not even apologetic on his statement. I get all the reasons why he would react as he did but it would take milliseconds to assert the situation after opening his eyes. That was just an emotional outburst and if he did managed to hurt the kid he could be liable to a lawsuit. He can claim tiredness, lack of equipment and previous incidents but they are there to entertain an amount of people that outnumbers them with a music genre that isn't exactly calm and soothing. When you have this amount of people anything can go wrong but 99.999% of the times doesn't. If you're fired up expecting trouble in any venue then that's all you'll see. So yes he is entitled to defend himself but after seeing the footage he could have said: "yYeah I didn't understand the situation correctly sorry for the kick".

2. abandonist

abandonist Banned

Rock music should be dangerous. In my opinion there's not enough violence at shows.

downburst82 likes this.
  3. JoshuaVonFlash

JoshuaVonFlash SSBRO.org regular

Welcome back.

4. downburst82

downburst82 SS.org Regular

Dangerous like possibly being a threat to the band? or dangerous like the band possibly kicking you in the head? :D

Like I said before I understand where kirk is coming from and the kid shouldn't have been up there, but after re-watching the video Kirk is a Jerk...there really was no reason to kick the kid in the head:noplease:

5. Splenetic

Splenetic SS.org Regular

Eh with all the shit that's gone down in the last few years with people going up on stage uninvited, I don't see the big deal. I've been kicked in the head much harder than this before, it's not a biggie. In fact, just being near the front of the stage, with all the boot wearing crowd surfers n shit, you're liable to get one much harder to the head. (happened to me several times)

I think he just saw a golden opportunity and kicked him to be able to say he reached someone's head ...I mean how many times d'ya think a big guy like that can reach that high? :lol:

Crowbar still ....ing rule. :hbang:

6. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

All the proof I needed to know that Kirk is an asshole. Yeah the kid shouldn't have been on stage, but it is security's job to handle it. You'd think after the Randy Blythe incident, Kirk would know to keep his hands and feet to himself or risk a major lawsuit (in which he'd most definitely be liable). Security definitely overreacted by tackling the kid. I've been to plenty of shows where people get on stage when they shouldn't and security will just toss them back into the crowd.

But the worst of it is Kirk kicking a kid that was being held down and couldn't have even had the chance to defend himself. That's straight up dirty fighting. No respect for Kirk at all for this. :noway:

7. MikeyLawless

MikeyLawless SS.org Regular

With crowbar on this one.

8. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

I started out on Crowbar's side with this one, but I suspected it was largely because I love the band. To settle that, I reimagined the story but with Justin Bieber in Crowbar's role here, and realized I'd have reacted much more like "What a twatwaffle" if that were the case, rather than "Hah, that's what you get" like I first thought.

downburst82 likes this.
  9. larry

larry ". . . . . . . ."

I wouldn't have kicked anyone in the head, especially if I'm going to be using Blythe's case as my argument. I wouldn't touch anyone, unless I could absolutely guarantee their inability to build a case against me.

10. Friendroid

Friendroid SS.org Regular

Security is to blame for letting the kid on stage. Kid is an idiot but people pull stupid moves every time, that's why security was there but they failed. Kirk had all the right in this world to be upset, but kicking someone's head while being restrained is a bitch move, no justification. He should issue a public apology to the guy.

11. DC23

DC23 SS.org Regular

Kirk had a right to be pissed, had no right to kick the fan in the head. The kid was definitely in the wrong and shouldn't have been up there, but two wrongs don't make a right. The kid was being handled and clearly wasn't even focused on Kirk at all. Kicking him in the back of the head was a cheap shot (doesn't matter that it wasn't a strong kick).

12. canuck brian

canuck brian Bowes Guitars Contributor

Between the crap that happened with Randy and the Dimebag murder, I can't really blame Kirk for flipping out.

13. setsuna7

setsuna7 Poor Gearwhore

What if the kid had a knife or something? We will have a different discussion I believe..

14. Jason2112

Jason2112 I'm old school

"You could have broken every f***ing tooth in my mouth"
    Yeah, like a kid on the floor with some big dude on him is a threat to Kirk's teeth.

15. Shimme

Shimme Wants a Seven String

The way I see it, Kirk is taking a cheap shot that could seriously screw someone up if there was a little more force behind it, because he was annoyed.

Yeah, the kid shouldn't be up on stage, but it's a metal concert and that stuff happens sometimes, if you don't want people up there let security handle it. This can't be the first time someone's ever gotten on stage when they weren't supposed to at a Crowbar concert.

There isn't any chance of him getting attacked here either, the dude is being held down. Kirk was shoved, looks down and sees a security guy holding down a fan, thinks it over for a couple seconds and kicks the kid in the back of the head. Never was a big Crowbar fan, guess I'll be voting with my wallet on this one.

16. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

I have gotten on a stage with Fear Factory in Detroit. Burton waved security off and shook my hand before I stage dove. It was an awesome moment and I think the band got that the crowd was digging the show.

I have also done some concert security, and that security guy's response was excessive. Kicking the kid in the head was uncalled for...dick move... I would never pay for a ticket for one of their shows after seeing that response toward a fan.

17. ZeroS1gnol

ZeroS1gnol SS.org Regular

I didnt see any real threat...the kid was on the ground when he kicked. He didnt keep his cool, so I disapprove.

18. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

The way I see it:
    - The fan was in the wrong to be there in the first place.
    - The security reaction was a bit much, but could have maaaybe been excusable if the story ended there.
    - There was easily enough time between the tackle and the kick to the head to assess that there was no danger.
    - Someone who felt threatened would have stopped playing.
    - Seriously, kicking your fan in the head? I don't care who you are, that makes you a terrible person.
    - Having a hissy-fit after the fact doesn't help.
    - Refusing to apologize makes you a dick, whether you were justified at the time or not.

When Randy dealt with what happened to him, he handled the situation like an adult, and you can respect him for that. I officially have zero respect for that Kirk guy until he AT LEAST grows a pair and admits he could have handled it differently.

19. goherpsNderp

goherpsNderp no refutin' rasputen

sorry kirk, but you messed up. totally inexcusable, and your official response to the incident is hypocritical. your teeth aren't worth more than that kid's life.

and anyone that tries to make it about how hard he kicked him or whether or not he should have been on the stage don't get it. it's like trying to argue what size ammo someone used when shooting someone as if it somehow makes it less bad.

20. Skullet

Skullet SS.org Regular

Kirks a knob , he seen that the situation was under control yet that never stopped him from kicking the guy while he was held down. Cowardly to say the least