Critique my picking technique please

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by Berserker, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Don

Don SS.org Regular

You have to focus on really being in time with the metronome. You are totally out of the timing. Put an accent on the first note of each string or each bar. Speed up your metronome to double (but not your playing) and focus that every other note is falling exactly in time with the click. You could also put the guitar aside and practice clapping your hands in sync with the metronome. Good luck!

2. CRaul87

CRaul87 SS.org Regular

Unless you are a freak of nature, alternate picking takes a LOOOONG time to develop and master.
    You don't need us to tell you hey you are wasting motion or not accurate enough, that stuff also comes in time it's not like we're gonna critique you and all of a sudden you'll make changes that will take your AP to the next lvl.
    Just practice it every day if you really want to get good at it. It's one of those things that every guitar player should know how to do but that doesn't mean that every1 will master it so don't fall in the trap of trying to be Paul Gilbert or John Petrucci because all that will do is hold you back.
    Practice AP along side all other techniques and I say favor what comes naturally and keep in check what you suck at because at the end of the day you want to play and make music.

3. Mo Nodehi

Mo Nodehi Member

Seems to me like you're moving your picking hand's thumb too much when picking, try to pick only with your wrist. Also move your arm up or down so your wrist angle doesn't change too much compared to the strings, and you won't have to bend your wrist too much to get to those higher strings.

Try this: Play with each hand separately, without using the other one(only left, and only right) and increase the tempo to see if you can play faster. If you play faster when only using the picking hand, then the problem is most likely in your fretting hand. If you also can play faster when only using your fretting hand, then your 2-hand synchronization needs to improved. Although 2-hand synch needs to improve anyway.

Remember though, if you're practicing something that doesn't work(doesn't get you the right results), even if you practice it 10 hours a day for 10 years, it's not going to really help you.

Mo

4. Berserker

Berserker SS.org Regular

Thanks for all the input guys, I've been concentrating on hand synchronization and fretting hand timing/stamina and I'm definitely seeing progress. There's a long way to go but the small amount of regular progress I'm making is encouraging.

5. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Chromatics aren't the most interesting musical things you can play, and there'll definitely come a point where you want to stop practicing them frequently and instead focus on things that can become musical building blocks - scale and arpeggio fragments, say - but I think for now you can get a lot of value out of them in getting your hands to work together as a team.

Two things are jumping out at me while watching this. Well, three, the third being "badass Strat!"

* I think your fretting hand is weaker than your picking hand here, particularly on the descending segments. Hand syncronization is, IMO, kind of a BS concept - if both hands are separately in time, they're in time with each other. So, as paradoxical as this is, my suggestion would be to practice this legato, against a metronome, until your fretting hand alone can play this perfectly in meter. Initially you might even want to try moving away from a simple click to a metronome with a click for the downbeat, but also a 16th note softer beat going on (or even a super simple drum track, kick on 1 and snare on 3, with a 16th note hi-hat) to really force yourself to listen to make sure your fretting hand is moving 100% in 16th notes.

* I'm also hearing a little bit of a hesitation on the descending section with the string skips. Applying the same principle, see if you can find a way to distill this down to a simple, relatively repeatable drill that really highlights those. Maybe 4-3-2-1 on the high E and then 4-3-2-1 on the G, repeated back and forth for a while, then drop down to high B and D? Keep working down that way? You could try straight 16th note string skips, like fret the 5th fret on the high E and G string and jump back and forth alternate picking between the two strings, but that's going to become increasingly hard to bring up to speed. Whcih, to be fair, may be a great reason to do just that. :lol:

6. Berserker

Berserker SS.org Regular

Thanks man, some good ideas there!

7. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

If you want to go all-in on your fretting hand, you could do the Satriani "grab the neck with your picking hand to mute the strings with the palm of your hand, and tap with your fretting hand" thing - 5:02 here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgUwD9e8uNM

8. extendedsolo

extendedsolo SS.org Regular

I think you are on the right track. Everything doesn't come together overnight. Yes it's not fast/clean perfect but keep it clean and the speed will come. It just takes a very very long time to get up to Jeff Loomis speed.

I would recommend a couple things

1)that exercise you have, keep doing it. Do it to a metronome at a speed you feel comfortable with. Then bump it up a little. When you reach your top end speed back off by about 5bpm and see if you can nail it. Only do it for about 10 minutes though. Really good for focusing solely on picking

2)Use scales that maybe you didn't know or ones that you did know in a new position over a backing track. So for example the Major scale over a Major 7th chord vamp. Practice with a metronome similar to the chromatic. Good for pulling double duty on getting your ears acclimated to a sound and alternate picking.

3) Pick 2 songs. One you think you can nail or is close to your skill level that has an alternate picking part. Practice it until you get it. think of this as your "skill right now song." Then pick a song that you know you are super far away from being at a skill level. Like Malmsteen or something. Practice a really fast part cleanly so you don't have to worry about speed, then come back to it every once in awhile so you can see how you've progressed. Don't practice it every day, come back only once every 1-2 weeks. It's your goal. For example mine was Eugene's Trick Bag. Took me a long time to get up to speed alternate picking everything.

Using those 3 methods even is how I've gone from being able to really pick anything up to a speed that I want to get to. Really I started with Metallica Sanitarium intro solo and just went from there. I really had to work though to get the Waves solo by Govan down. Domination by Pantera used to be at the top of my range, but now it's "easy" by comparison. You'll get there just keep going. I would also recommend the Troy Stetina books

9. simonpimonpoo

simonpimonpoo SS.org Regular

You should try moving your picking hand when changing strings.

I used to pick like you and when i made that change to my right hand i saw major improvements.

Try to keep the angle between pick attack and string the same on every string. By moving your whole hand by pushing it forward/downward you achieve this while at the same time being able to mute whatever string is above the string you are picking. The fleshy part of your thumb should always be resting ontop of the string just above the string you are picking.

Edit: Just to clarify, your right hand should be moving diagonally across the strings so that you pick closer to the neck pickup when moving up higher.

10. Cameron French

Cameron French SS.org Regular

John Petrucci's Rock Discipline instructional DVD is great for alternate picking advice and exercises. I think a good portion of it is on YouTube.

11. imnotnollynollynolly

imnotnollynollynolly SS.org Regular

Hard to tell from the video but no big red flags on your picking hand that I can see. Are you muting the strings you aren't playing with your right hand? Slow it down a bit as well, your timing is pretty off and having good timing is more important than having shredding picking technique. I somewhat disagree with the others about playing chromatic to build chops, it may not be the most efficient in the long run but it works and gives you a lot of energy to focus exclusively on your technique while you play since it's so basic. That's IMO and many probably disagree, it's also mostly how I did it (not that I have insane chops by any means).