Critique my ambient mix?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by svenlk, May 9, 2014.

1. svenlk

svenlk SS.org Regular

2. fungwabus117

fungwabus117 SS.org Regular

Not sure if you did the link right, it takes me straight to the soundcloud homepage.

3. svenlk

svenlk SS.org Regular

4. shnaggs

shnaggs Well-Known Member

I dig it alot!!! I would try to work on the dynamics of the different sections. Although the levels are probably the same, the mellow part seems to jump out at you, and the heavier part is seems too compressed. So the perceived volume changes a bunch from scene to scene. Try to get the two parts to glue together somehow. How you would do that? I have no idea:)
    really digging it though

5. JoaoFX

JoaoFX Member

Loving this! I'm listening on my laptop, and at 1:12 (tremolo picking part) the mix loses the great dynamics it had before, I don't know if that happens because I'm using laptop speakers (No bass), but at 2:01 the dynamics come again. Loving the clean tone there!
    Amazing song dude, made my day! :D

6. bythepainiseetheothers

bythepainiseetheothers SS.org Regular

Sounds great!

What gear have you used?

7. svenlk

svenlk SS.org Regular

thanks for the feedback everyone! :) shnaggs, joaoFX- I cant really figure out a way to make that part less dull do you think I should make another rhythm track to kinda beef it up? and bythepainofothers- I am currently using guitar rig ans lepoulin plugins for guitars, superior drummer and ez mix for the drums and waves plugins and ozone for the mastering part, along with other numerous fx pedal vsts

8. Stuey95

Stuey95 SS.org Regular

Sweet track dude. :yesway:

First thing that jumps out at me is that most of what I'm hearing of the bass is string noise and not delicious bassy goodness so I'd sculpt some tastiness with eq and possibly some (more?) compression to even out the attack.

In terms of making the dirty part more interesting, perhaps bringing up both the rhythm guitars and the lead a teeny bit, and adding more reverb/delay to said lead could do the trick.
    Final thing that just struck me would be to automate some ratty distortion on the bass during the dirty parts to thicken the whole thing up.

9. svenlk

svenlk SS.org Regular

thanks stuey! i kinda just made a whole new bass tone thats less dirty so hopefully it sounds a lot better :)

10. ambler3

ambler3 SS.org Regular

While I like the compressedness of the tremolo picked part, the bass isn't forefront enough at that part. Also as others said, it'd be good to EQ the bass to take away some attack, while leaving the slightly less defined bass.

11. TallestFiddle

TallestFiddle SS.org Regular

One thing I think that could improve it is if you had some more dynamics. its at the same volume the whole time. Sometimes its hard to have dynamics in most songs, but with ambient clean stuff that's when you have much more freedom.

For instance: The part at 1:12 seems like it should be louder compared to the rest of the song, its a lot less ambient than the rest. So you could make the part before it quieter, so that when that hits it has more impact on the listener. It was a little strange the way it transitioned. And try to humanize the drums a bit so that you have different velocities on the snare hits and stuff like that.

One way to analyze your dynamics is just to look at the waveform of the song. Looking at it, you can see that you're pretty much at the same volume the whole time, And the sections that should be louder are actually more quiet.

Cool song though, definitely a pleasure to listen to :)

12. guitarplayerone

guitarplayerone SS.org Regular

Maybe try a little bit more ambient/OH mics for even the low end? And a little less clicky kick? It's always tough to my ears to get just the right amount of click in. Overall really cool man.

Hit me back on my own ambient/prog mix lol!

13. svenlk

svenlk SS.org Regular

thanks man! i appreciate the good words and solid advice :), humanizing drums has always been my downfall lol

14. svenlk

svenlk SS.org Regular

15. gamber

gamber SS.org Regular

personally id get rid of a little of the grit of the bass i feel like the song would benefit from a more cleaner tone

16. svenlk

svenlk SS.org Regular

besides the bass hows everything sound to you in a nut shell?
    this is the first track ive ever "mastered"