Crazy Randall deals

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by migstopheles, Jul 10, 2020.

1. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Go for a Mojotone Imperial Slant.
    https://www.mojotone.com/Cabinets_x...2x12-Imperial-Slant-Speaker-Extension-Cabinet

0rimus and Seabeast2000 like this.
  2. 0rimus

0rimus SS.org Regular

Oh nice! That looks fancy!

I also found out the Mesa Rectifier vertical 212 is 23.6" wide... But even used that's more than that Mojotone one... Might need to snag that. Put whatever speakers I want in it. Tempting

MASS DEFECT likes this.
  3. SamSam

SamSam GAS problems

Randall sales are back up :yesway:

4. 0rimus

0rimus SS.org Regular

Okay so I got my T2HL and my Imperial Slant loaded with speakers, bought what I was pretty sure the correct fuse for American 120v and the American iec power cord yada yada.

Installed it. The channel lights come on and I can switch channels but no volume no matter what I do. After a bit of futzing around it made a huge loud repetitive farting sound that didn't go away even when I turned the amp volume and my guitars volume knobs down.

I worked last night and have to work again tonight so I won't be able to really dig into it until the weekend unfortunately.

Any speculative advice would be hot. I reordered more fuses since they're cheap and ship fast. I couldn't find a manual but I did find some T2HL amps that were set up for American voltages and these pictures are what I based my fuses off of: w9tpwncrjpke6ce0uiyy.jpg Screenshot_20200921-204710.png

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire L'enfant sausage

hmm weird that it's not working. Did you check to see if the preamp tubes and stuff are seated properly?
    so it should be a fast blow 5 amp fuse based off that.
    The markings on the back of my V2 were right. The manual actually recommended lower amperage fuses but the amp just didn't work with them well comparatively.

6. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Maybe try rolling some tubes?

7. 0rimus

0rimus SS.org Regular

Yeah that's the next thing I'm gonna try. Also worth noting the 'T' badge/light on the amp front doesn't light up when the amp is on.

I'll give it a more thorough shot either in the morning when I get home or on the weekend. Could just be I'm a dipshit and didn't have the speaker cable shoved all the way in. Hoping that's all it is

8. HeHasTheJazzHands

Actually youre starting to make me think there's a power supply issue. Not enough juice getting to the amp.

9. 0rimus

0rimus SS.org Regular

Yeah I'm reeeeeeeeeeeally hoping it's not like a National voltage proprietary transformer or something... That'd suck ding dong

Disappointing but I still got my Synergy rig to fall back on, so I can put this project on a back burner for awhile if a solution isn't accessible.

10. jarledge

jarledge SS.org Regular

yeah it looks like it needs a 5 amp 250v . it seems like most 120 volts need at least 4 amp fuses so a 5 amp isn't unheard of. Not sure why they want 250 volts but whatever. I have an american powered t2 combo. i'll check the fuse in it here a few minuets.

11. jarledge

jarledge SS.org Regular

0rimus likes this.
  12. 0rimus

0rimus SS.org Regular

Thanks man! I ordered some, I'll give em a shot

13. Jon Pearson

Jon Pearson SS.org Regular

There aren't really 120V fuses, 250 is just a common fuse rating

14. 0rimus

0rimus SS.org Regular

Update: Tried the F2.5 fuses... Same exact problem.

Triple checked to make sure everything was plugged in correctly. I don't have any preamp tubes to replace the 3 12ax7's and the one 12at7 in there. But I did pop the front grill off and made sure they were all seated correctly, not broken in any obvious way etc.

Last ditch effort I put the stock T2.5 fuse back in, just to see what would happen. Yep, same exact problem.

Considering selling to a UK brethren, but man I'd feel horrible sending somebody an amp that could possible be more defunct beyond a simple National Voltage adjustment issue.

How much can you fuck with fuse ratings before the amp just fucking explodes?

And I'm WAAAAAAYYY far past any return policy from GuitarGuitar.

Think I have a fast blow 8amp 250v fuse laying around somewhere

15. Jon Pearson

Jon Pearson SS.org Regular

The problem your describing doesnt sound fuse related, sounds more like "take it to a tech" stuff

16. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I don’t see any voltage selector on the back of the T2HL and the pics of the ones on the guitarguitar site were marked 230v or 240v from memory. so just changing the fuse isn’t going to work, you’ll be giving an amp 120v that wants 240v.

if you’re lucky the power transformer might have a multi tap primary and there are other primary leads inside the amp taped off, that would need to be swapped on to the power switch. Though they’re also probably not labelled.

if not and if the euro and USA models have different power transformers, you will need a step up transformer (120v to 230v or 240v, whatever is available). Those are usually not that pricy.

0rimus likes this.
  17. HeHasTheJazzHands

Yep that's been my thought from the beginning. I thought the pics that were linked were his, but they're apparently not. :lol: So it could be a 230V amp starving from 120v. Which also explains why the light isnt lighting up. Goes with my previous deal of the amp not getting enough power.

Hell, even looking at the stock photo on Guitarguitar website, that's... apparnetly whats wroing IF that's legit.

[​IMG]

18. 0rimus

0rimus SS.org Regular

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MX50KA/?tag=sevenstringorg-20

This is what I'm looking at, will this work?

Also thanks guys. I was reading around but every thread I read made it sound like getting a step up transformer or getting the amp made to run US voltages was going to be a huge expensive pain.

But if that $30 box works then I'm down for sure.

Here's my check boxes on the amp and the god-awful hideous Euro power cable (sorry lol): 20200925_152343_50.jpg 20200925_152236_50.jpg

19. HeHasTheJazzHands

Yep, that's the problem. As said above, these aren't swithcing power supplies, so there's not enough juice going to it,

And I never used a step up/down transformer, but given the amp yanks 250w, 300w should be fine.

20. StevenC

StevenC Javier Strat 8 2022

That one might work, but for safety you should probably go for something higher powered. P=IV and I=2.5, V=230V for P=575, so I would recommend at least that plus some safety buffer. For comparison I use a 1000W transformer for my US JP-2C in the UK.