Crazy Randall deals

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by migstopheles, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

I’ll try this and get back to y’all

DudeManBrother likes this.
  2. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Alrighty i don’t have a spare preamp tube laying around but i did make sure that all the ones currently in the amp were seated correctly. Still getting that same “far away” shitty sound. Hardly any volume at all.

I’m going to stop by guitar center tomorrow and get some new preamp tubes and also get an 8A fuse from somewhere (i didn’t end up getting one tonight because... well i started drinking lol)

3. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I don’t think the amp would make any noise at all if the mains fuse was blown.

as for the preamp tubes, the V2 has a solidstate channel that doesn’t use the preamp tubes right? Same result with both channels?

from what I recall one tube is a 12AT7 and is for the power amp, if that tube is bad, theoretically it could cause volume issues on all channels.

I’m not sure where the FX loop is in the circuit, but you can hopefully narrow down where the fault is using the FX loop. Plug a pedal (or just your guitar) direct into the FX loop and see if you get any volume out of that. If not, the issue may lie in the power amp.

also try running from the FX send into something else, like another amp’s FX return, or seperate power amp, etc. You should get a strong signal from there if the preamp is fine.

I assume you already checked speaker cables and made sure all the external stuff works with a different amp.

4. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

maybe this is a silly question, sorry if you’ve already done this, but did you rotate the voltage selector/fuse holder so ‘120’ is facing upwards toward the arrow?

I looked at the pic on the guitarguitar website and stock it looks like it’s set for 240v (hard to tell since the pics are so dark).

2F746928-49D8-4557-AAD9-CE1A88EC0901.jpeg

At least that is my understanding of how those voltage selectors work, it may also be in the manual (if you got one)

jarledge likes this.
  5. jarledge

jarledge SS.org Regular

yep the arrow on top points to the voltage for the fuze. If it is set for 220/230 it may not be getting enough power through the right tap on the transformer.

There is a 12at7 feeding the power amp section and I do think that a problem there could cause a volume issue common to the entire amp.

6. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

My V2 came with all 12ax7’s

which one is suppose to be an 12at7? Because while is does work now, both dirt channels sound like ass

Also, i got the amp working. I got a 6A fuse from Home Depot and switched the fuse holder around so it’s at 120 instead of 240. So, yeah that did the trick

0rimus likes this.
  7. jarledge

jarledge SS.org Regular

the 12at7 will be the one toward the back of the amp. if you take the front off, you have the 3 tubes in front and the one in the back is the 12at7.

i opened mine up and it had a jj 12at7, 2x regular jj 12ax7s and one high gain graded ruby 12ax7 . the HG 12ax7 was in the far right hand slot when looking at the front of the amp, I moved it to the far left slot which should be the first gain stage.

it also seemed like pulling and re-seating the 12at7 helped with the volume of the channels, as the clean was quiet compared to the other 2.

nikt likes this.
  8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire L'enfant sausage

so 6.3amp fuses definitely work, but the solid state channels sound choppy and shitty to my ears. The tube channel sounds quite good though.
    I'll see if 8amp improves the ss channels at all.
    [​IMG]

0rimus and nikt like this.
  9. KnightBrolaire

fyi there's a thrasher in guitarcenter's used section

10. KnightBrolaire

anddd 8amp is much better. All the channels work fine now. The 6.3 didn't seem to give full power, hence why the ss channels sounded like shit and the V2 logo wasn't lit up.
    Clean channel is decent, nothing amazing. The ss od channel is suuuuper dry and tight.
    The tube channel is where it's at. Goes from super fat and dark to ridiculously tight and dry with the flick of two switches. I prefer the loose setting and then carving out some low end with the eq at the moment.
    My only complaint is the ss channels seem extremely master vol dependent versus the tube channel, which kicks in volume wise much earlier. I almost went deaf when switching from the clean to the tube channel because I forgot to dial back the master.
    I'll report back in a couple of days after I've played with it more.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  11. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

I have to admit that's why I like the V2. You can go from VHT/Fryette, to Mark-series, to 5150-esque with just a few knob twist and switch flips.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  12. KnightBrolaire

I'd argue it's tighter than a pittbull. It's disgustingly dry and tight on the tight setting. So pretty much @diagrammatiks dream amp.

13. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Well if you ever wanna get rid of it, keep me on speed dial. :rofl:

14. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Maybe I should try the 8A fuse.
    To me the tube channel sounds like shit compared to my Randall RG200D.

@KnightBrolaire , any chance at a demo of your V2?

15. KnightBrolaire

sure, once I spend some time playing with it more.
    In the room or direct recorded?

Bearitone likes this.
  16. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

In room please :D

Also could you let me know the settings you use for the SS and Tube channels?

I actually boxed up my V2 because I planned to send it back this week but, your post just gave me hope. I want to try an 8A fuse and whatever settings you're using. Also, are these the fuses you bought?:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D2YHM8C/?tag=sevenstringorg-20

17. KnightBrolaire

no you need fast blow. 8a 250v, 5x20mm.
    these are the ones I bought:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081235MV9/?tag=sevenstringorg-20

I'll see what I can do about an in the room recording. It'll prob just be my phone pointed at my cab.

Settings I've been using so far are in the pic I posted earlier.
    The tube channel sounds better with the master high and using the level to control the volume. The master is wayyy too touchy to do it vice versa.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    Bearitone likes this.
  18. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Real MVP^^^

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  19. jsmalleus

jsmalleus SS.org Regular

Yeah, they get em from time to time, but haven't really seen a screaming deal on one so that's why I was curious if this blowout sale had em. Had an eye on a 120w thrasher that a dude out in WVA had up for $750, but it was a good 3 hours out and sold like a week or two before I was headed out that way this past weekend to do some camping. Probably for the best though haha.

20. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

My 8A fuses came in today. Tried one in the Archetype and now the "V" logo is lighting up.
    I didn't notice a big bump in tonal quality over the 6A fuse.

Overall the Archetype is pretty crap compared the RG200D imo. Except for the clean channel. The clean channel of the Archetype is definitely better.

I think mine might be defective in some other way because the SS channel is pretty low gain. Like medium-crunch at best and that just doesn't seem right. Isn't the SS channel suppose to be high gain?

The Tube channel is definitely high-gain but. Super one dimensional. The Presence and Depth knobs hardly do anything. It sounds like a cheap practice amp.

There has to be something else wrong.